Plate bearings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
license plate bearings? OK, just kidding.

Are you talking about bearings in the lower end of the engine? If so the colors are to indicate different sizes. Different sizes are used to achieve proper cleanrances on the crank and rods.

Other than that, I have no idea.

yeah that's right, the bearings on the crank, balancer and con-rods.

so...how do i know what colours to get?

Do you have a service manual?
You will find any info you need there...

Basicly...numbers stamped on the engine block plus numbers stamped on the crank and balancer plus some math and here ya go :punk:

Get in touch with Sean and he will suply you with parts and knowlege.

Sean,one2dmax, just talked me through this with my 1300 motor.

Attached are the pages from the VMax manual showing how to do this.

One correction shown in the supplemental manual is the location of the #'s that are on the lower case. On first page of cut attached in the 4th picture, it shows the numbers being etched into the case on the right side of the picture. This is wrong, they are on the left side as shown in picture.

Cost me about $130 to get all the bearings from partshark.com. They are priced by the half bearing. You need 2 pieces for each journal. Total of 8 for crank, 8 for connecting rods & 4 for balance shaft.

Also, when ordering, Sean told me to look at parts listing for a 2007 VMax. They list the colors in this years listing, so it helps get the right one.

Gary

Attachments

• Bearing selection from VMX12-Service-Manual.pdf
    389.5 KB · Views: 15
Yyyy actually I saw numbers stamped(hand engraved to be specific) on the left and also right side.
Manual is not wrong, they just changed the numbering location.

Attached is the supplemental section from the service manual detailing the bearing selection.

The main manual is wrong, correction is covered in this update.

The numbers on the left & right side are not the same, the right side of the block has the numbers needed for bearing selection. This is right side as when mounted in chassis. References in previous post where as viewed in picture. I am not sure what the numbers on left side relate to.

These numbers are not easy to make out, they are just inscribed into block. Not stamped in with a punch.

It seems like the numbers in the block will be from 5-8 and the numbers on the crank will be from 1-4.

For reference, attached is a picture of my lower case, with the numbers printed out.

Gary

Attachments

• Supplemental from VMX12-Service-Manual.pdf
    572.2 KB · Views: 13
  • lower case front.JPG
    lower case front.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 28
Im not talking about "engine mount piece" on the right side.

I use to have very old upper case on hand with numbers, exactly at the place where manual is saying - not at the engine mount area.
And those were bearing codes for sure.

I will try to find that upper case and take some photos however, im not sure I still have it.

Another note to include, balancer shaft code location was also changed.

correction...they are called PLANE BEARINGS! my bad...here are my pics

picture.php

picture.php

Can't remember the XN 57 number but the other is the Crank Main Number for the block (6687) and the Counter Balance number for the block (66).

Take pics of the number on the end of the crank (right above the gear) and the pics on the counterweight of the balance shaft and we can figure out your bearing codes.

The rods will have a number in ink on it (usually 6 or 7) and we can figure out the rod bearings with the other numbers on the crank.

Sean

Back