popping at idle when hot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kratzenberg

Reaction score
Need a little help with this please..

When my bike gets hot and i sit in traffic, i get a lot of popping.
It only happens at idle, when i start moving it's fine.

I have new plugs, new wires.
I did the peashooter and ran 2 bottles of seafoam through the tank.
Also had the carbs synched.

Any ideas on what else i can do to fix this?

Popping out of the exhaust or from carbs? What are your mixture screws set at?

Popping out of the exhaust or from carbs? What are your mixture screws set at?

poppping out of the exhaust.

mixture screws are roughly 3 turns out
i started at 2.5 out and checked my plugs, it was lean so i went to 3 and plugs look good now.

2.5 no popping ,,, 3 turns out popping ...popping start after that

Well for some reason the popping stopped,
But now when the engine is warm it stalls out every now and then at idle:ummm: If it's not one thing it's another...
Apparently theres a problem somewhere, and i have no idea.
Anybody have any ideas???

Well for some reason the popping stopped,
But now when the engine is warm it stalls out every now and then at idle:ummm: If it's not one thing it's another...
Apparently theres a problem somewhere, and i have no idea.
Anybody have any ideas???

Bill, stalls all of sudden or does the idle drops below 1000 rpm for a bit than stalls - like one cylinder stops firing? If so, once it stalls out, pull the plugs and check the condition of each. Is one fuel fouled.

Mike

Bill, stalls all of sudden or does the idle drops below 1000 rpm for a bit than stalls - like one cylinder stops firing? If so, once it stalls out, pull the plugs and check the condition of each. Is one fuel fouled.

Mike

Mike,
it drops below 1000 then stalls,
I will check all the plugs next time it happens.
Thanks...

Bill, sounds like you have one cylinder that's fuel fouling at idle, probably the same one that was popping before.

Mike

Bill, check your charging voltage. Mine did the same thing, voltage was only 13.25.

Bill, check your charging voltage. Mine did the same thing, voltage was only 13.25.

Mark, checked my voltage 13.93

rode my bike for 20 minutes today and it started stalling again.
after it stalled i pulled all the plugs and they all look like this pic.

Looks like it's running lean huh? but i have the mixture screws 3.5 turns out..

The other pic is from the back left cylinder, am i missing a cap or plug over that hole? looks like something should be there...

Attachments

• 0929081538 (Small).jpg
    0929081538 (Small).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 0929081532 (Small).jpg
    0929081532 (Small).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 99
Yeah, they look a bit on the lean side but not bad at all. Have you check your plug wires or ignition yet?

The 2nd pick is fine, no cover there. You may want to try pushing the pin in a little....it looks out a ways to me. I'll check mine.

Yeah, they look a bit on the lean side but not bad at all. Have you check your plug wires or ignition yet?

The 2nd pick is fine, no cover there. You may want to try pushing the pin in a little....it looks out a ways to me. I'll check mine.

new plug wires(8mm)last winter.
how do i check the ignition?

Bill, let's back up a little. When did the problem start and did you change anything before that? Might help figure out what's going on.

When the last time you sync'ed the carbs?

Have you removed the mixture screws to see if they and or passages are dirty?

Mike

Latest posts

Back