Pre-load top nuts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxMidnight

Reaction score
In the late eighties, early nineties the Japanese factories realised that customers wanted some adjustment on the front forks.

I seem to recall that there were machines with pre-load adjusters built into the top nut of the front forks.

Is anyone aware if there are any out there that are the same diameter and have the same thread as the later Max forks?

Not sure I have seen any that would have that. BUT, I bet they could be make if there was enough demand. I could look into it if desired.

Sean

Not sure I have seen any that would have that. BUT, I bet they could be make if there was enough demand. I could look into it if desired.

Sean

I could have swore there was a post about someone making something like this on one of the old tech sites?

Good memory, Mike! Yes, I replied some time ago , regarding a similar question.
Anyway, the adjustable fork caps were outlined on the Vmaxtech site, the originator was Bob Bivona. The mod requires some machining, but does not appear to be that difficult.

I'll do some digging on that site, to see if I can copy and paste the particulars (I still can't figure out how to do that link thingee).......
But I bet that you or Mr. Midnight will beat me to the punch.
Computer wizzes. Ya gotta luv'em!
Cheers!
update - on this forum, the original question was from April 2011 mechanical substitute for air pressure in front forks? found in "V-boost room" forum

Given that most rider, for whatever reason, choose not to set the static sag then I suspect that the market for these would be low.
I also suspect that the existing sag would have to be somewhere near and the adjusters used to fine tune the setting.
I'd like a 'click-stop' action rather than the graduated bar type....an' I'll have mine in black please.

Something like this?

picture.php

...if they are made so that they LOOK cool then I suspect that there may be a market.

Anyway, the adjustable fork caps were outlined on the Vmaxtech site, the originator was Bob Bivona. The mod requires some machining, but does not appear to be that difficult.

I'll do some digging on that site, to see if I can copy and paste the particulars (I still can't figure out how to do that link thingee).......
But I bet that you or Mr. Midnight will beat me to the punch.
Computer wizzes. Ya gotta luv'em!
Cheers!
update - on this forum, the original question was from April 2011 mechanical substitute for air pressure in front forks? found in "V-boost room" forum

MIles - found the post on this site but can't find anything on Vmaxtech - do you have the post number?
From the way you described the adjuster it seems to be a simple screw thread? Not quite what I was looking for.

I would be interested in preload adjustment for the fork, I believe I have mine set properly. My rear shocks are something different though, I think I'm a little over sprung. I hope to take a better look at that this year once I get my extended swingarm in place and my weight down to where it should be.

MIles - found the post on this site but can't find anything on Vmaxtech - do you have the post number?
From the way you described the adjuster it seems to be a simple screw thread? Not quite what I was looking for.[/QUOTE]

Max -
check out message # 46238 (Aug 27/2004) Bob Bivona outlines what the modification involves.
message # 49072 states that he posted photos of this mod., but I cannot find them, in the photos, or files, forum.
He has been inactive on this forum since 2007. I hope nothing dire has occurred. His VMOA # is 294. perhaps one of the VMOA members know of his current status, or knows him personally?
Bob was one of the most active, go-to guys on the vmaxtech site. Hope he is O.K. He had racked up over 100,000 miles on his daily driver, at last report. He lives in the San Francisco area.
Cheers!

I may be wrong, but I thought that this was what the air adjustment was for. Wouldn't it be the same effect as adding air pressure? I am looking for some suspension mods myself and learning some things along the way. Definitely would look pretty cool.

We're looking into it now! Hopefully more info in a few weeks.

Sean

i mean someone could in theory take some caps, drill, tap them for a big bolt and a washer which you can actuate. it'd look ugly but it'd work and be a hell of a lot cheaper than $300

No doubt 300 is steep, but all of the kinks have already been worked out and it is visually appealing for the most part. Most of their stuff is kind of high anyway. For that price, I am perfectly pleased with the ol' air valve. Serves the same purpose, and requires nothing extra.

Back