progressive 430?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called my young lady the other day and had her look but she said there was nothing so of course I didnt believe her & went home and sure enuf... nothin. I did see the spring rate? on the coil spring which I thought may be of some use, cuz when I searched for this shock and our application is wasnt one of the options. the guy said he had them on a road king which Im sure weighs a few more pounds then we do. Someone else mentioned that # and they were thinking of playing with a diff "size" or "rate".. Im not sure Ive read to much about anyone doing that & their results. What does that (on mine) 140/180 mean anyway.. Does it mean I weigh 140 & my gf can be 180? jk

I noticed late in the summer crud collecting on my RH so I'm getting some weeping too. Curious I pulled out my receipt for my 440's purchased in Oct of 2009 and will email them to see what they will do. The paperwork says "Limited Lifetime Warranty" and as Sean said "to the original purchaser". Mine are the HD version of shocks with spring rates of 120/170, 13" length, black finish.
I will contact them to see what they say.
I am also going to pick up one of their shock tools (32-5508) and a set of their 105/150 springs just to give me some options.

UPDATE: I'm following up on my request I sent to Progressive about my leaking 440's. They responded today, asked no questions, just gave me a RMA# and an address in LaPalma, CA. to ship it to. The shipping there is on my dime and shipping back to me is on them.
For the record I purchased them back in Oct 2010 from Dennis Kirk for $127! Thanks Garrett!

I called my young lady the other day and had her look but she said there was nothing so of course I didnt believe her & went home and sure enuf... nothin. I did see the spring rate? on the coil spring which I thought may be of some use, cuz when I searched for this shock and our application is wasnt one of the options. the guy said he had them on a road king which Im sure weighs a few more pounds then we do. Someone else mentioned that # and they were thinking of playing with a diff "size" or "rate".. Im not sure Ive read to much about anyone doing that & their results. What does that (on mine) 140/180 mean anyway.. Does it mean I weigh 140 & my gf can be 180? jk
The two spring rates for the Vmax (430 and 440 models) are: Stock- 105/150(1368-20B/30) and Heavy Duty-120/170(1365-20B-30). The stock shocks are good up to 225lbs; above 225 lbs use the HD per Progressive's spec's.
Subjective findings: At my weight (270 lbs) the HD 440's are a tad stiff (lightest spring preload setting) but just right when I'm loaded for a week long trip. I'm getting a set of stock springs and the Progressive spring tool so I can try different sprint and preload settings.

Yes, they will stiffer than a stock rated spring. Do you know the model # of the shocks? Check out the attached PDF or look up on Progressive Suspension site and do the make/ model search to try and find the shocks model # then reference the PDF which will tell you the spec on the shocks.
For example; my shocks were made for a Suzuki Marauder (I think) but I compared to the specs of the Vmax they were very close. The Marauder's shock used a spring same as the HD Vmax spring, other specs were all very close if not the same, I took a chance with them because they only cost me $127 shipped and I also was getting a set of fork springs from Progressive for free.

Attachments

• Progressive.pdf
    94.8 KB · Views: 13
Yes, they will stiffer than a stock rated spring. Do you know the model # of the shocks? Check out the attached PDF or look up on Progressive Suspension site and do the make/ model search to try and find the shocks model # then reference the PDF which will tell you the spec on the shocks.
For example; my shocks were made for a Suzuki Marauder (I think) but I compared to the specs of the Vmax they were very close. The Marauder's shock used a spring same as the HD Vmax spring, other specs were all very close if not the same, I took a chance with them because they only cost me $127 shipped and I also was getting a set of fork springs from Progressive for free.
so this is the specs on the shock I have
Order No.
Ext. Length
In
Ext. Length
mm
Comp.
Length In
Comp.
Length mm
Travel*
Inch
Travel*
MM Mnts. Spring No.
Rate
lbs/In
Rate
kg/mm
430-4070B/C 11.50 292 9.73 247 1.77 44.96 E/E 03-1319-20B/30 140/180 2.50/3.21
430-4201B/C 11.50 292 8.98 228 2.52 64.01 E/E 03-1313-20B/30 115/155 2.05/2.77
this is the stock replacement (but 1 1/2" shorter) I think the biggest difference will be the travel @ 1.77 on the new & 2.52 on what they say would be the replacement... almost an inch? Im not really scared of the lumber wagon ride, I dont do much long trip drivin & now that I got her a bike Ill be ridin solo most of the time, Im more lookin for hook up hard & go. I do love it when the bike "tractors" .... hooks up, breaks loose, hooks up, breaks loose, front tire of the ground. Ive also seen quarter horses old max launch from a roll and go & it was alot more "solid" (I still pulled away from him). I guess it is what it is.. Im just bench racing in my head until we get thru winter & I get to try them out huh

Last edited:
:bang head:
anyone have these? thinkin of picking up a set for hopefully a touch lower than their asking price of 200. He said they are 11 1/2' eye to eye. If I remember right that is exactly the size I was looking for.

duh which side is the top? I figured it out but of course the spacers are a 1/2" & where they mount to are 9/16':bang head:

Last edited:
UPDATE: I'm following up on my request I sent to Progressive about my leaking 440's. They responded today, asked no questions, just gave me a RMA# and an address in LaPalma, CA. to ship it to. The shipping there is on my dime and shipping back to me is on them.
For the record I purchased them back in Oct 2010 from Dennis Kirk for $127! Thanks Garrett!
I received my 440's back from Progressive, it looks like they replaced the shocks and the top decorative caps that were slightly faded.
So it appears I have new shocks again and Progressive Suspension has a very happy customer!:clapping:

I should mention that I never even asked them to change the shock tops, they just did it. They weren't that bad just slightly sun faded (black/ purpleish tint in the sun) but happy now that they did change them.
All I have to do now is order my std springs [105/150(1368-20B/30)] and I'll be set.
Great customer service @ Progressive Suspension!:clapping:

Latest posts

Back