Question about buying a used VMax...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2dawson

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and new to the VMax. I'm currently looking for a used VMax and have located one at what seems to be a good price. It is a 1998 VMax with 46,000 miles on it. Before I go look at it are there things I should check on besides the normal brakes, tires, etc? Is this too high mileage for me to consider? I know nothing about the VMax bikes so I don't really know about the peculiarities to watch for.

Thanks for any help,
Jim Dawson

Welcome! Post your bike's ad details here so we can have a look and tell ya wot we think.

I bought an '86 with 37k miles, so a '98 with 46k should be fine, depending on how it's been treated and looked after. We've seen some go over 100k on the same motor.

By '98 you got most of the little upgrades Yamaha did to the bike, but one thing to check on a Max is that it doesn't pop out of 2nd gear when you go hard on the throttle. Other than that check for all the usual - noisy/smoky/leaky engine (all bad), and how many mods has it had? If it has a lot of performance mods - exhaust, stage 7 kit, NOS etc etc I would be more wary. If it's mostly stock you can't really go wrong unless it's been abused.

Also what kind of price are you looking at? We can tell ya if you're getting a decent deal or not - I wish I'd found this site b4 I bought mine!

Thanks for the info. I think I can get it for around $3000. The history will be hard to track as it is from a widow and I doubt she knows much about it's history. I'll find out whatever I can.

sounds a little to good to be true, i bought my 85 for about 3000, other things to check for are for one when you turn the ignition and flip the cut off swith to on you should hear the v-boost "cycle" youll hear a whine of the valves open and close if you dont hear it ask him why. also if you do hear it test it go out in first and ride it in first till about 8k you should feel a small but noticable jolt after about 6k, also listen for loud or out of place "clicks" these bike are not gravity feed fuel and if you hear noticably loud clicks there may be an issue with the fuel pump, also on the subject of the fuel pump after a test ride right after you flip the kill switch flip it back to on there should be no "clicking" as the carbs should still have fuel in the bowls if it clicks the fuel pump is not maintaining pressure and will flood the carbs. the price honestly sounds good she either just wants to be rid of it or is unaware of the actual value of the bike. the above issues are the most noticable and the fuel pump is a known issue with the diophram and both are very easy to DIY. anouther thing is look at the steering turn it and listen very carefully for any clicks or VERY slight snags or when driving the front starts to wabble then you have a bad head steering bering (sorry for my spelling its late here lol) honestly other then this, the things that noughty g said and the usual buyer beware you getting away with about 1000+ under what would be expected to pay.

also not to sound morbid but deffinatly at least ask her if her husband was the orignal owner and if it was "garage kept" if so great. also no offense to any one on here i know im one of the younger guys, however if the owner was older there is a good chance it wasnt abused now do keep in mind thats not always the case but in my experiance your kinda hard pressed to see a "seasoned" rider dogging his bike out on the highway.

You could always travel down to Kansas and buy my 2005 - lol.

$3000 for the 98 is a sound price. It's older and has higher mileage - neither of which would bother me. My 05 would be double the price and the only real difference is lower mileage (9k) and the upgraded transmission with overdrive (added by us).

I have a 2003 for sale too but I am sure it's spoken for by another new member on the forum. You guys could ride down together and split the fuel cost since he's in your state too if I remember right.

I know where a 99 with 6k miles is for about $4500 but again that's a lot more then the 98 you found locally.

Sean

Thanks for all the hints at what to look for. I'm hoping to go see it in the next few days.

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

also not to sound morbid but deffinatly at least ask her if her husband was the orignal owner and if it was "garage kept" if so great. also no offense to any one on here i know im one of the younger guys, however if the owner was older there is a good chance it wasnt abused now do keep in mind thats not always the case but in my experiance your kinda hard pressed to see a "seasoned" rider dogging his bike out on the highway.

but in my experiance your kinda hard pressed to see a "seasoned" rider dogging his bike out on the highway.

:ummm::ummm::ummm:

I had a feeling I wasn't a "seasoned" rider just yet :bang head:

I see all those slow pokes on they're HD's and I think, now check out those seasoned riders ... as I twist the throttle and scream on by.

Been doing that for nearly 20 years on motorcycles. Ugh ... I hope I never get to be seasoned. I sure don't want to be one of "those" riders :rofl_200:(all in good fun of course)

:ummm::ummm::ummm:

I had a feeling I wasn't a "seasoned" rider just yet :bang head:

I see all those slow pokes on they're HD's and I think, now check out those seasoned riders ... as I twist the throttle and scream on by.

Been doing that for nearly 20 years on motorcycles. Ugh ... I hope I never get to be seasoned. I sure don't want to be one of "those" riders :rofl_200:(all in good fun of course)

I'll probably continue to be one of those "seasoned" slow pokes just cruising along at a pokey 80mph listening to my stereo and having to stop for gas every 225 miles. A Vmax is probably WAY too much bike for me any way.

I've recorded my best overall MPG cruising along @80mph on my 85. That must be the "sweet spot" right before V-Boost begins opening.

And we all know the only true way to slow a V-Max is to buy your wife her own bike. :rofl_200: (it happens to the fastest of us)

not to be a jerk but lets try to stay one the topic of the poster, did you get any additional info, did you test drive it?

Not yet, I'm going to try this week end - or just stick with my Harleys.

I'm new to the forum and new to the VMax. I'm currently looking for a used VMax and have located one at what seems to be a good price. It is a 1998 VMax with 46,000 miles on it. Before I go look at it are there things I should check on besides the normal brakes, tires, etc? Is this too high mileage for me to consider? I know nothing about the VMax bikes so I don't really know about the peculiarities to watch for.

Thanks for any help,
Jim Dawson

Hey Jim, Where in IL are you from? Maybe one our members can hook up and look at it with you to make sure all the normal issues are good.

Take a good flashlight and look at the bottom of the fuel tank, Thats one thing i did not do :bang head: that i wish i had.

I am sure you are already past this point: But make sure it's not a scam. The whole "widow" selling the bike is one of the classic scenarios. Obviously, you need to see it with your eyes.

I'm sure you have confirmed an address and all that stuff already, just a word of advice in case you hadn't got that far.

Back