Question about storage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry I haven't been around but had family emergencies with my 2 inlaws, both were ill and one was put in a nursing home the other in hospital. Long story shortened....we had to clean house out everything either had to get thrown out donated or saved for auction we had yesterday. This whole process started in June so my summer has gone by and I bet I didn't put 1000 miles on my 2007..

I'm going to keep it in heated storage, any suggesteions on what I should do? should I go there from time to time and start it ? you know things like that, should I put seafoam in it??

any suggestions will be appreciated

Ron

Hello,

Sorry I haven't been around but had family emergencies with my 2 inlaws, both were ill and one was put in a nursing home the other in hospital. Long story shortened....we had to clean house out everything either had to get thrown out donated or saved for auction we had yesterday. This whole process started in June so my summer has gone by and I bet I didn't put 1000 miles on my 2007..

I'm going to keep it in heated storage, any suggesteions on what I should do? should I go there from time to time and start it ? you know things like that, should I put seafoam in it??

any suggestions will be appreciated

Ron

Seafoam for sure. Check battery fluid & plug it into a Battery Tender Jr. for the winter and forget it. Best $30.00 you'll ever spend.

will u have ready access to it, or a friend will? if so turn the key every couple days to fill the bowls.

Some guys drain the float bowls...I never have but it sounds like a good idea.....don't turn the key afterward, of course, or you'll fill the bowls back up. I also like to get the tires up on some plywood so the rubber isn't in contact with concrete.

i like maleko's idea of keeping gas in the bowls to be honest, as long as its 'treated' gas. stabil or seafoam.

i put it in the CS so the rear tire is off the ground and then shove a couple shirts/rags under the front tire.

How about changing the oil:ummm: Do you really want to leave 3month (6month???) old oil in your motor all winter???

SeaFoam and a battery tender:eusa_dance:

Lew

I bought some seaform and also a Battery Tender Jr, I assume that you have to remove the drive part of the seat to access the battery to connect the Battery Tender Jr, do you just leave the seat off while in storage.

With the seafoam, how much do you put in a full tank of gas?

Thanks I'm about 2 week behind getting my bike in storage but need to get ny butt in gear.

thanks
Ron

I bought some seaform and also a Battery Tender Jr, I assume that you have to remove the drive part of the seat to access the battery to connect the Battery Tender Jr, do you just leave the seat off while in storage.

Thanks I'm about 2 week behind getting my bike in storage but need to get ny butt in gear.

thanks
Ron

Yup, remove the front section to access the battery. There should have been a 2 wire pigtail with the BT jr, hook that to the battery and leave the plug down by the left side cover. Then you just plug it in in the future...no more messing with the seat.

A couple oz of Seafoam is fine.

thanks
Ron

I have a fused quick disconnect that matches the one that comes with the Battery Tender and let it hang out from under the seat (frame by back engine cylinder actually). I can just plug in anytime I want.

I believe the maintenance amount of Seafoam for 4-strokes is 1 oz per gallon.

And I believe in changing the oil in the fall so the machine sits there all winter with fresh oil then it's turn-key ready in the spring. One less thing to do plus all that carbon in the old oil isn't settling and sitting in the bottom of the motor with your crank bearings and other goodies.

I have a fused quick disconnect that matches the one that comes with the Battery Tender and let it hang out from under the seat (frame by back engine cylinder actually). I can just plug in anytime I want.

I believe the maintenance amount of Seafoam for 4-strokes is 1 oz per gallon.

And I believe in changing the oil in the fall so the machine sits there all winter with fresh oil then it's turn-key ready in the spring. One less thing to do plus all that carbon in the old oil isn't settling and sitting in the bottom of the motor with your crank bearings and other goodies.
Now THAT makes sense!!! :worthy:

but then u have 3 month old oil when u start her up. i kind of like the oil to be fresh in the spring.

but then u have 3 month old oil when u start her up. i kind of like the oil to be fresh in the spring.

"Old" oil??? It didn't do anything but sit in there. Even if you started it a few times through the winter that's nothing. Only other argument I heard was the accululation of moisture from condensation. But that's going to happen wheather the oil is old or fresh. I don't consider it an issue.

Latest posts

Back