Question on battery fuild levels

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I got my battery out and I am going to make sure the fuild levels are good before putting in back in and hooking up my Battery Tenfer Jr the off to storage Sat.

All the fuild levels are between the lower and upper marls on the battery, more towards the top on most.

I want to make them all level usinf distilled water, should the leave be right at the top level for winter storage?

Thanks

That will be fine. No need to take it out if you keep a charge on it. A charged battery won't freeze.

Chris

It will be in a heated storage and I already got it out.........lol now just going to top it off and put it back in and hook up battery Tender Jr. I just wanted to make sure on the levels

Hi Guys,

I got my battery out and I am going to make sure the fuild levels are good before putting in back in and hooking up my Battery Tenfer Jr the off to storage Sat.

All the fuild levels are between the lower and upper marls on the battery, more towards the top on most.

I want to make them all level usinf distilled water, should the leave be right at the top level for winter storage?

Thanks

Yep. Sounds good. Just remember to re-check the levels occasionally.

You can do that with it in the bike. Just keep the level a bit below the holes. No need to remove as it's a bitch to do so. If you get a sealed battery like the Panasonic then no need to check it at all.

Yes I agree it is a BITCH.... remember above I said I already had it out.... Now please let me vent and hopefully someone can help me.

Why can't a F*&^King thing go easy for me on this bike.

Got the battery out filled it and now put it back in, why does every F*&^king wire have to fit like a puzzle?????

There is something wrong and a 5 minute job is going to take me 4 hours I'll bet ya on that.

When I hook up the battery wires , no matter which one I hook up first the minute I go to connect the other my engine starts to turn over as if it's going to start?? the coil is disconnected

What is causing this??

Can anything be easy??

Guess I should have posted before taking it out huh??

Any help is appreciated

Yeah it's a couple of bolts and you fold the coils back and out of the way. Sounds like you're bypassing the starter relay and hooking it up directly to the battery. You've definitely got it wired wrong. It's really not supposed to be THAT hard.

OK, when I took the battery out I moved the coil and disconnecter the yellow and white connectors, before I relaized I didn't have to I also disconnected the red thick cables to the back of the coils.

I reconnected all the connectors but when I try to hook up the batter the engine turns. I took picturs of the way it is now, I had to disconnect the yellow and white connectors to move the coil again but those are pretty much easy to know which ones goes where so I doubt I got them wrong.

I hope someone can see something that isn't right.. and save me a lot of time Is the battery in backwards?????????

Thanks
Ron

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

When you figure out your wire troubles take a moment to be sure you hook up the vent tube that routs down the right side. If you forget it you will for sure eventually corrode everything around the battery on that side.

Thanks I did that and that is what makes me think I got the battery in correct

Hard to tell from the picture but it almost looks like you have the battery wire looped from one side of the solenoid to the other.

I see it now,

The black wire you have on the pos terminal is the wire to the starter so it will turn over the second it's hooked up. You need to have it on the left side of the solenoid and the right side is the red wire then down to the battery.

I can post pic if needed.

Sean

A pic sure would help....you'd think I would ahve learnt to take pictures before I take anything apart..

BUT NO!!!

I would appreciate pic's if you have them Sean

Thanks
Ron

Hard to tell from the picture but it almost looks like you have the battery wire looped from one side of the solenoid to the other.

I see it now,

The black wire you have on the pos terminal is the wire to the starter so it will turn over the second it's hooked up. You need to have it on the left side of the solenoid and the right side is the red wire then down to the battery.

I can post pic if needed.

Sean

So where I have the 2 red wires connected to the solenold, one of them stays on the right side the black cable that I have on pos goes on left side of solenold and the red on there now goes to pos on battery ???

Here's what you need.

Sean

Attachments

• Battery Wiring.jpg
    Battery Wiring.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 49
Thanks Sean, it took me 3 minutes to correct the problem...When I had the 2 red wirs looped to the solenold it didn't look right but I didn't know any better at the time.

Thanks again for your help

Ron

23.jpg

Ron, I know you got this wiring issue resolved however I just noticed you have the battery tender wires reversed. The wire with the in-line fuse and red tab should go to the positive terminal of the battery. I'm guessing you figured this out already.
Cheers.

Back