Race Tech Customer Support

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
Last November I visited with the Race Tech rep at the Cycle World/Progressive Motorcycle Show in Dallas. I have the emulators and 1.0 springs. I was not happy with the ride. The shocks were too stiff and the initial jolt was too abrupt. I assumed it was the 1.0 springs being too stiff for my weight.

The rep (Matthew Wiley) told me the emulators have been changed because of that exact problem. Also, the preload was probably wrong on the springs. It should be measured from the bottom of the threads in the fork tube instead of from the top of the fork tube. It seems everyone was preloading too much. The proper preload would put the top of the springs at the top of the fork tube or about 1mm above. I had about 1/2" to 3/4" above the top edge which put too much preload on the spring.

For the emulators, he sent me new plates and springs for them to change out for the original ones. This should improve the damping, especially on the initial bump.

All of this was free, even the shipping. Pretty good customer service!!

Haven't changed them out but will report whenever I do get it done. Requires removing the emulators, dismantling them and changing out the plates, springs, etc.

That's the sign of a very good company. My 94 has the Race Tech Springs, Gold Emulators, with BG Fluid. Sean built them, Morley Tough....:biglaugh:

I wouldn't change a thing.....

Very cool Don! Measuring from bottom of threads does make sense when you think about it. The cap fits into the fork so take up that first bit of space.

Last November I visited with the Race Tech rep at the Cycle World/Progressive Motorcycle Show in Dallas. I have the emulators and 1.0 springs. I was not happy with the ride. The shocks were too stiff and the initial jolt was too abrupt. I assumed it was the 1.0 springs being too stiff for my weight.

The rep (Matthew Wiley) told me the emulators have been changed because of that exact problem. Also, the preload was probably wrong on the springs. It should be measured from the bottom of the threads in the fork tube instead of from the top of the fork tube. It seems everyone was preloading too much. The proper preload would put the top of the springs at the top of the fork tube or about 1mm above. I had about 1/2" to 3/4" above the top edge which put too much preload on the spring.

For the emulators, he sent me new plates and springs for them to change out for the original ones. This should improve the damping, especially on the initial bump.

Haven't changed them out but will report whenever I do get it done. Requires removing the emulators, dismantling them and changing out the plates, springs, etc.

That's how I set up mine. I'm happy with the results, firm, but smooth and able to take a good size bump with out bottoming out, and keeps the front end up while going around a turn.

I cut the spacer in half ( 11 inches each, I think). Dropped in the emulators, (make sure their seated!), dropped in the springs, spacers and washers. Everything came up just a hair above the top of the tubes. Measured the amount of thread on the end caps, looked like it would provide the right amount of preload. Added 15W oil, screwed down the end caps. Checked the preload, looked good. Took it for a ride, aiming for pot holes and bumps I would have previously avoided. It rode great, so no reason to fool with it any further.

Good luck with it!

Back