read a book

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax190

Reaction score
are there any other avid book readers out there, my favorite is in cold blood by truman capote, other favs? dave:ummm:

I've been following Grisham for a while, I;m currently finishing the Piers Anthony Incarnation series for the umpteenth time. I have also read most of the Cussler books.

I like SciFi/Fantasy, Horror(King), and adventure/drama

I read quite a bit. I actually always have an audio book that I listen to in the car on the drive to work.

I very much like Khaled Hosseini's books (The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns).

I like the early King stuff, particularly the Bachman books.

I just finished The Devil in the White City. It was good, but not great.

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid was a good and funny book.

I am now re-reading The Great Gatsby. I haven't read it since I was a kid.

I also wrote a book recently. I have been getting some very nice feedback from readers. You can read it here: www.madeininstants.com

Not much for reading but my favorite book and I recommend it to whom ever can find it is the Portable Poe. It is compiled of most of Edger Allen Poe's work even lost letters to his love.
It is simply loaded with the best short stories ever. Eg: The pit and the Pendulem, the Black cat, the tale tale Heart, The Cask of the amontialdo(sp), The Raven ( Once upon a midnight dreary as I pondered weak and weary over many quaint and curiuos volume of forgotten lore.) something like that. Anyhow other stories like the Gold Bug not that is a classic. Poe was twisted in his own right of mind and could a novels worth of suspence in such s hort story it was unreal.
Please all Pardon my own spelling I know its bad.:confused2:

Like Karma, I have a novel I've written; but unlike Karma, mine is still going through the final buffing process. I write lots of short stories in an effort to get published so I have something to "prove" myself with to prospective agents, so right now, shorts are mainly what I read. Joyce Carol Oates is an amazing story teller. Novel-wize, I read anything by Tom Wolfe, Carl Hiaasen, and Jimmy Buffett. Lots of terrific writers out there, which works against the newbies.

The first week of February, my short story, The Message, will be up on an online magazine at wordcatalystmagazine.com . It's one I'm really proud of. Read the first paragraph and see if you can stop. February (I know, you won't remember--niether would I).

I can't fall asleep unless I read at bedtime.
Some of my regulars include: Nelson DeMille, Dean Koontz, Michael Connelly, Clive Cussler, Jonathan Kellerman, James Patterson, Tami Hoag, Patricia Cornwell, John Sanford, Jeffrey Deaver, Michael Creighton..............
DeMille being my favorite-you can't go wrong with one of his!

My favorites are The Stand by S. King and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Ive pretty much worn out the King books and need to find something new, or old, I've thought about buying War and Peace, anybody read that one?

I have several books on the topic of celtic mythology and other books on the different mythology and religions of the world as well as other books on the topics.

I'm currently going through an old 23 book series from the early '70s called "Man Myths and Magic" I'm on the South American and African sections.

Ok, call me different, but I read a fictional western series called "Longarm" once a month since back around 1979, published by Jove. I think the series has involved several different writers over the years as the style can change ever so slightly.

I also subscribe to Reader's Digest, Birds 'N Blooms, Popular Science and ---JC Whitney (just kidding on the JC Whitney).

orson scott card is my favorite , grisham is always entertaining listened to king of torts on a 2000 mile trip in my explorer makes time go fast. arthur c clarke is pretty good. dan brown makes you think and he is contreversial which to me is always good. tom clancy's old stuff......

except for hemingway i only read non fiction, mostly mafia and serial killer books, my wife thinks i am destined to be a serial killer so you guys better be nice. hehe

are there any other avid book readers out there, my favorite is in cold blood by truman capote, other favs? dave:ummm:

I'm one of these nutjobs who you can't keep in books. Because I can demo a novel or two in an evening, I don't really stick to favorites, I stick to "available".

My favorite authors, in no particular order would include Thompson, Hemingway, Bukowski, and Faulkner. But I'll take whatever you got, King, Tolkien, Gibson.... even those god-awful Grafton mysteries my wife buys. I'm sorta like a garbage can with eyes :p

BTW, if you dig medical science type stuff, a couple of "must reads" are Richard Prestons "Demon in the Freezer" and "The Hot Zone". Both are true stories, which is the most disturbing part about them. I prefer "demon" between the two, but they are both very engrossing.

if you have not read it, it will change the way you look at life, this book wakes you up to the world as it is

I collect series books.

Clive Cusslers "Dirk Pitt";
Robert B Parker's "Spenser";
John D MacDonald's "Travis Magee";
Arthur C Clarke's "RAMA";
Alan Dean Foster's books of the "Commonwealth", "Pip & Flinx";
All Star Wars; some Star Trek;
Tom Clancy's "Jack Ryan";
J.D. Robb (a.k.a. Nora Robert's) "In Death"

... and many, many more...

has anybody read the rise and fall of the third reich, i am about halfway through it, 1300 pages, it is all consuming that a homless vagabond took over a country and killed thousands of people because he was a good speaker, that is some scary shit.

has anybody read the rise and fall of the third reich, i am about halfway through it, 1300 pages, it is all consuming that a homless vagabond took over a country and killed thousands of people because he was a good speaker, that is some scary shit.
Yeah that's interesting how a powerful and eloquent speaker can change people into believing in their way of thinking. It's happening now.

Latest posts

Back