Rear Wheel Options?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victorymax

Reaction score
I have an "89 vmax. My first and I really enjoy it. I'm customizing it now and have some rear wheel questions. Any advice would be appreciated.

1. How much work does it take to use a GSXR rim? Are there certain years I would need to look for?

2. Has anyone ever heard of a vrod rim being modified to fit?

Also, has anyone ever changed the gear ratio in the rearend?

I have an "89 vmax. My first and I really enjoy it. I'm customizing it now and have some rear wheel questions. Any advice would be appreciated.

1. How much work does it take to use a GSXR rim? Are there certain years I would need to look for?

2. Has anyone ever heard of a vrod rim being modified to fit?

Also, has anyone ever changed the gear ratio in the rearend?

Both have been used, they mill out the center of the donor wheels then mate it with the new wheel.

Cycle One Off has the gixxer wheels. You can also send your stocker to Kosman engineering and they will convert it to a wider 17" wheel.

Then there is the option of dropping a couple $K on a new set of front and rear wheels.

1: A lot. It has been done by Kosman a few times and there are ebay sellers that do the conversion. I think Prezmek (Satariel666) has done it before too.
2: No - would take just as much work
3: Yes, you can use a venture diff to get 10% reduction in rpm's (slower acceleration). The vmax ratio (3.66 vs 3.33) is the highest you will find in any bolt on setup and no other gearing from yamaha will be better. You could get custom gears made but looking at $2K and up.

Do a search on these extensive forums and you'll find as much info as you want to know.

1: A lot. It has been done by Kosman a few times and there are ebay sellers that do the conversion. I think Prezmek (Satariel666) has done it before too.
3: Yes, you can use a venture diff to get 10% reduction in rpm's (slower acceleration). The vmax ratio (3.66 vs 3.33) is the highest you will find in any bolt on setup and no other gearing from yamaha will be better. You could get custom gears made but looking at $2K and up.

Do a search on these extensive forums and you'll find as much info as you want to know.

Sean, Ebay user Eightisenuff used to and a friend here in Omaha has one. But, the offset is more than I would like.

That's the problem with most wheel conversions. The extra width makes the offset too far right. (many sportbike wheels are 6" which is too wide to use without really offsetting them).

Sean

Aftermarket Harley.... No cutting, welding or sacrifice of the stock wheel,no offset issue and being 18" no need to alter the final drive ratio:punk:

Attachments

• IMG_0218 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0218 (Large).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 267

Yep. It works perfect after a year(more :ummm:).
I sold some rims localy, never heard any complain.

With 5,5 rim and 190 tyre there's no offset, of course with notched swingarm.
Any wider rim or tyre will make an offset.

As jedi noted, some hardley can be used without welding, just cut the center and fabricate new bolt-on hub.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alum...150336266315?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories

Steve - maybe we should get me a few of the wheel adapters here too and have that available for the vmax guys over here (I need front and rear stuff actually). I want to use the Buell XB12R front end with large brake and wheel on the next build. maybe even a rear modified up with one of our external chain drives to get a big tire in there.
Sean

Steve.....how does that after market Harley wheel mount? Is it a direct bolt up or is there some adapter plate that needs to be manufactured to get things to work correctly.

i've got a german wheel, DEGET 17 by 6" and can confirm 190/50 and 190/55 tyres fit in standard swingarm no problem.

Steve.....how does that after market Harley wheel mount? Is it a direct bolt up or is there some adapter plate that needs to be manufactured to get things to work correctly.

Aftermarket Harley like the RC wheels use a generic wheel with bolt on hubs either side to fit all kinds of bikes. It's a matter of machining the stock boss ( Harley) and using a part from another bike which I stumbled up which literally bolts on.
It was easy to do.
Because the hubs or "bosses " can be machined that allows me to determine where I want the wheel to sit position wise in the swingarm.
A brake flange adapter is made to fit the Vmax rotor to get it in the correct place.

Aftermarket Harley like the RC wheels use a generic wheel with bolt on hubs either side to fit all kinds of bikes. It's a matter of machining the stock boss ( Harley) and using a part from another bike which I stumbled up which literally bolts on.
It was easy to do.
Because the hubs or "bosses " can be machined that allows me to determine where I want the wheel to sit position wise in the swingarm.
A brake flange adapter is made to fit the Vmax rotor to get it in the correct place.
Steve, do You have any plans to machine custom dust cover for Your wheel?
Dont wanna be a smart ass but seeing the pumpkin guts dosent suits me.

Last edited:
Stock shroud is used and the drive clutch is sealed as per stock. Shit can't get in or out, same situation as a stock setup.

i have got max daddy 17 'rear wheel from ufo. i am very pleased to what i see and very easy to install

Attachments

• rsz_Φωτογραφία050.jpg
    rsz_Φωτογραφία050.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 136
Back