Recent Gen2 owner w/questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might as well pull off the 'hood', or top cover. You will need it off to remove the ECU anyway. I would look right around that area for a device that's "wired in", as it will have to have been spliced to at least one ground source, one power source (probably a keyed source), and one more wire leading to the mass of wiring where they all plug into the ECU. There are two major wire clusters going into the ECU. Smaller batch on the left, and bigger batch going into the right side of the ECU. I think the speedo wire that was probably severed in order to go to, and from, the add-on device will be part of the right cluster of wires, and perhaps yellow/white. Careful as there are two y/w wires in that cluster, one on the top row, the other on the bottom. (one is yellow wire with a white stripe, the other is a white wire with a yellow stripe) I believe the wire you will see to be severed and wired into the add-on device will be the bottom one.
Once you see where the wires have been intercepted and severed for to/from that device, it should be as easy as following those wires back to the device - IF it's not already evident when you pull off the top cover.
Your PowerCommander V may well be mounted in there some place too, and will have not only splices leading to positive and negative 12V, but also a splice into a (gray?) wire on the top row of the bigger wire cluster. It also has two more wire sets with Yamahs specific connectors which will be threaded over to the right hand side of, and towards the bottom of the airbox where it connects to the OEM throttle body wires, so that it can send the mapped/corrected fuel instructions to the beast.
Or, your PCV may be mounted near the tool pack under the left hand side cover. The durn thing, on Shala's 09, was hidden by strapping it to the back of it's ECU with a large zip tie. On my 09, the original owner had it under the left hand side cover. The PCV should be clearly labeled as such, but I have no idea what Olivers' top speed fix device looks like, it's size, or whether or not it is wearing any sort of label.

Courtesy of Tim Nash (Gurruedgear.com)
New Image.jpg

Connector_Logoed.jpg

Sorry, I can't find any instructional drawings. I think I never saved them to this computer. They will probably all still be available over on the gen II forum. Just have to do some searching there for the specific topics. You should find some hand written docs scanned in with diagrams on exactly how to wire, or in this case, unwire those devices.

JFEagins, thank you for those detailed instructions. I saved them to my hard drive for printing when the time comes.

my front tires wear out on the front tire more on the clutch side

I was always told that the slope of the road has something to do with it. Most roads are higher in the middle and slope towards the outside.

I was always told that the slope of the road has something to do with it. Most roads are higher in the middle and slope towards the outside.

This.

Crown of the road plus questionable tire pressures = cupping.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

It's more the effect of the difference in the radius of left & right turns. Right turns are much tighter.

If you lived in Australia the wear would be opposite.

Good piece, thanx for the post. Guess I'll be paying extra attention to tire pressure from now on.

Latest posts

Back