removing the starter. Any tips?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick.

Reaction score
I'm trying to get the starter out and let me say... the designers of this bike didn't want you to access ANYTHING on it without having to take everything else off to get to whatever it is you wanted to fix in the first place.

I can't get to the bolts holding the starter it because the hard line from the radiator is in the way. I cant get an allen into the bolt that holds the hard line on because of the frame cross member. I could get to it if I took off two of the big radiator hoses BUT the hose clamps are on backward so I can't get to it.

Anyone have a way of getting the starter out without killing myself or going crazy in the process?

Hey Nick

I recently switched mine out but I didn't have the problems you seem to be having. Are the clamps on both ends of the hose facing backward? The radiator itself comes off fairly easily so maybe you'll want to do that. Did you remove the draincock assembly? There is a small clamp holding it in place on the left side as you're looking at it - once that is removed and the hoses are off, it pulls right out of the hole in the thermostat.

I guess I would start by taking off the hose on top of the radiator and then removing all the bolts holding the radiator itself on (just two on each side, I believe, after you've got the side covers off). You do need to get the hoses out of the way in order to remove the starter.

Also, once you have the starter bolts out, you have to pull the unit to the left to disengage it from the gear, and then kinda wiggle it around a lot to get it out from between the frame and the engine. Be prepared to say some bad words. Getting it back in takes some fiddling around as well. Good luck on this one!

You need to drain the coolant and disconnect the hose going to the coolant manifold so that the radiator hangs foward. Also, remove drain valve and remove any hoses down there.

i'm one step ahead of you guys. I have most of the hoses off and just have the drain assembly and the radiator on there. There's one hose left on there because the clamps are on backward. Just to clarify, the bolt holding in the hard coolant tube / assembly is an allen head right?

Even after you've drained the coolant, make sure you have something under the radiator and hoses to catch drips - the hoses will spill more coolant when you disconnect them. If you PM me I can call and walk you through what I did.

I have a big oil pan under the bike right now. The contents of the radiator and the two or so hoses I have off are in that and I still have about a gallon or so left till it's full. I'll attack the bike wednesday because I have a lot of school work to do for tomorrow.

Back