Replacing front springs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep.....the metal would get wedged in the seals.....etc. Better to be safe than sorry.

yeah...instead of a screwdriver you could visit the Depot and get a flat steel bracket, drill a couple holes and use that in conjunction with the bolts to make an improvised wrench...

yeah...instead of a screwdriver you could visit the Depot and get a flat steel bracket, drill a couple holes and use that in conjunction with the bolts to make an improvised wrench...

I've got a handful of long metal things I'll give a try.

If a squishy bug can mess up a seal just think what some metal shaving could do. Yep, if you drill you must disassemble.

Figured. If I'm not mistaken, pulling the bottom bolt to drain the oil won't be enough right? Must take it apart completely?

You could probably clean most of it out buy why take a chance? Once the fork cap is off and the bottom bolt is out you just need to remove a snap ring that hides under the dust seal and pull the tube out of the leg with a quick "slide hammer" motion and they come apart. Pushing the seal back in requires a seal tool or, some PVC pipe. Not a big deal.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Going to admit defeat on this one. Hopefully machine shop can get it out.

Machine shop bored out the old cap. Got everything put back together again. One tip, I had trouble finding a PVC pipe that would fit between the inner and outer tube. On my 1998 (43mm fork), I needed something with an outer diameter of ~2" and PVC pipes are 2" inner diameter. So, trip to local autozone, bought a piece of exhaust pipe with OD of 2" and it fit perfectly. I put some duct tape around the end so that it would scratch the seals or fork.

^ Glad to hear it and good tip on the 2" exhaust piece as a seal driver.
I actually took my forks over to a local Honda shop and they let me borrow a 43 mm fork seal driver to get mine in.

Back