Reservoir Caps

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
I purchased the chrome "vmax" reservoir caps off ebay and feel like I tightened down pretty good but they still seem to leak just barely a drop after a long ride. Each side will have just a drop of fluid coming out. Should I tighten those phillips screws up a bit? I don't want to strip it out!

ABe

Abe, check the diaphragm. The lip should be flat around the reservoir edge.

Yeah those need to be sealed VERY well. I just replaced my clutch side reservoir and bled the brakes and the #1 key goal here is to make sure that before you reinstall the covers, that you clean with some brake clean on a rag the edge of the seating surface to remove any left over brake fluid and that all the parts like the diaphragm and cover are completely cleaned of all brake fluid. 9 out of 10 max's I see have the paint around the edges of the reservoir missing and they're all corroded. That's EASILY resolved by making sure everything is uber clean before reassembly.

Like Mark said. You may need new diaphragms.

DO NOT over tighten. The screws are made of Swiss cheese and break VERY easily.

Abe, check the diaphragm. The lip should be flat around the reservoir edge.

The lip is flat. How tight should those screws be? I got them pretty tight now and will test seal later once the rain gets the hell outta here!:bang head:

Just hand tight. Remember you have to remove them someday... If you are struggling to tighten them then something isn't right.

It's possible there's too much fluid in there. What does the level show when the cover is tightened down. You should see an air bubble in the window.

It's possible there's too much fluid in there. What does the level show when the cover is tightened down. You should see an air bubble in the window.

My window is so old it's hard to tell!:confused2: But I'm pretty sure there is a little too much fluid in the brake side. I'll ride it a little more before I decide on new reservoirs gaskets.

Abe

When I changed my covers (I got the chrome ebay ones as well, the ones from motoboutique look nice but spendy) I suffered the same problem and replaced the diaphragms with satisfactory effect, the old ones were sort of "worn in to the old caps and just never seated right, always allowing a bead or two loose.

FWIW, on all those small phillips screws I went to socket heads, much harder to damage.

When I swapped my covers it went all fine, but the diaphragms looked just fine.

I think they're actually more likely to leak when overtightened, because they will get squeezed out of shape. New ones from Mondak should not be much, then just hand-tight and you'll be fine.

If anyone's gonna get some better screws to replace those swiss cheese philips, I'd be interested in a group buy - get a couple hundred of them cheap and I'm sure all of us who have not replaced them yet would want at least 4!

i have the ebay caps as well......mine arent leaking.

at least 4 now.

i would b interrested in some better screws as well.

Being that they are probably original I would just replace. Is the seating surface clean and corrosion free? It should look shiny and almost like a piece of milled billet.

Chris

I replaced them with stainless steel socket or hex head screws. Just remember to use a little anti-seize when using stainless.

Back