Riding Boots

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxist

Reaction score
I have a pair of Sketchers leather boots that I wear when riding and I'm thinking of getting motorcycle boots. I was thinking of getting the Alpinestars MSX-5 since it seems to have a lot of protection. But I'm wondering if it's really any more effective than a good sturdy pair of steel toe work boots. It seems the work boots might be bulky when shifting.:ummm:

Any thoughts? What are people sporting for riding footwear?

Steel toe boots provide great protection for the toes and with a stiff sole they provide some side protection. Where the m/c specific boots would have better protection are in the achilles, ankle bone and shin area.
I have been looking at these boots TCX S-Sportour. They may be even a little cheaper than the Astars MX5.
My brother was wearing tennis shoes when he hit the steel bumper of a 70's Caddy, When I went to pickup the bike his shoe was still on the footpeg, albeit the footpeg/ brake lever was wrapped around it up against the frame. He luckily got away with many stiches on his foot, not so lucky with his back after flying across the road in the air to end up in the ditch some 200' away. He was lucky that is sure.
EDIT: Check these out at a lower price point: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/900/35778/ITEM/Cortech-Latigo-Air-Road-Race-Boots.aspx

If you are going to drop the money on a good pair of riding boots, be sure to get something with side protection. Not just from impact but from side flex as well. I was run off the road last year into a front yard, I was only going maybe 20 mph through the grass but when the bike began to slide sideways I instinctively put my right foot down (I think, memory is a bit fuzzy it happened so fast) and it snapped my ankle.

I was wearing a pair of generic leather boots, not riding specific. They would probably do pretty well against abrasion and have good sole protection, but obviously no side protection.

Good boots can prevent this...

I have Joe Rocket riding boots and I love them, not the most comfortable to walk super long distances in but tons of support... I got them from motorcycle superstore and if memory serves they weren't terribly expensive, definitely get a good motorcycle specific boot...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I have Alpinstar ankle high shoes/boots. Two buckle closure, lots of plastic for abrasion on sides and toe box, shift lever reinforcement and OK to walk in. Sole is more athletic style but firmer rubber. Compared the sturdy work boots, a steel toe definitely better protection from crushing injury there. Probably not as padded as my A.S. boots. I feel the rest of my foot is better protected in a cycle specific footgear and shifting is excellent to me compared to my steel toe work boots. Now here is the caveat. Will a shorter ankle boot support and protect your foot better but expose the two leg bones above the ankle to more shearing forces? Does your riding style out you at risk for a high speed "get off" or might you think you would stay with the bike. Just like our driveshafts, you beef up one thing, you shift the stress somewhere else. Watching GP riders crash, I see them fall off without foot or ankle damage but I see more ankle/ foot damage from collisions or crushing trauma. In the end I guess it's up to you and your pocketbook.

Look at SIDI boots. A little pricey but people I know that wear them for track days or crusing swear by them.

Watch reviews on revzilla... I bought some dianese trq-tour gore-tex boots from them. They are awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have several pairs of boots for different types of riding. I have a pair of Alpinestars mid-calf boots which I have rebuilt a couple of times, still capable of good use, and probably the ones I wear most-frequently. I also have a pair of TCX Air Tech boots, Gore-Tex XCR (Extended Comfort Range), they come to the bottom of my calf and are more-comfortable for walking than the Alpinestars. On closeout at Revzilla now, $249.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...kw={keyword}&gclid=CM33idK0xbcCFSgS7AodeVEAuA
I also bought a pair of low-height over the ankle boots from Cycle Gear when they went on sale for $20 as a close-out, ugly as-sin, but better than an athletic shoe or dress shoe.
TCX_Air_Tech_XCR_Touring_Boot_Black_detail.jpg

My oldest boots are a pair of Norstar motocross boots I bought new in about 1973. They look similar to these, but w/o as-much red on the front, they have 3 red, white & blue medium vertical stripes. Also been rebuilt a couple of times, and still capable of doing the job, but I have a much-newer pair of O'Neill motocross boots.

I have a very cool vintage early-1970's Full Bore heavy nylon, no armor offroad motorcycle jacket I got from friends who bought out the OSSA distributorship years-ago, which was in Schenectady NY. My Belstaff waxed-cotton jacket I had bought in 1972 (I got the full jacket & pants) had rotted-apart after 30 years, and I got this because I liked the style. I don't wear it much (if at-all) but it's one of those things that would get me into Goodwood in England for the Summer Festival of Speed (you have to wear vintage clothing). People of a certain-age, when they see it, would say, "how-long have you had that?" I bought it off the back of Tom Robinson, of Rochester NY one year at Daytona Bike Week. His younger brother Dave Robinson was probably one of the first Americans to ride motocross in Europe, he was a member of the Bultaco team in the 1960's, before Jim Pomeroy. Many people in the Rochester NY area got their British and European bikes and parts from Robinson Cycles on Ridge Road, in Spencerport, owned by Tom and Dave's parents, and later Dave had a Kawi dealership, Rochester Robinson Cycles.

6boot.jpg

FireMedic, no shit, you have boots from 1973 still! I bet half the guys here on this forum weren't even born yet! I'm sure I would have worn those puppies out by now. You are dating yourself by divulging this information you know.
I've never had over the calf boots yet and don't know if I could get used to that. I tried a pair on once and could not get them closed around my calf muscle. Dainese brand maybe?

FireMedic, no shit, you have boots from 1973 still! I bet half the guys here on this forum weren't even born yet! I'm sure I would have worn those puppies out by now. You are dating yourself by divulging this information you know.
I've never had over the calf boots yet and don't know if I could get used to that. I tried a pair on once and could not get them closed around my calf muscle. Dainese brand maybe?

I've replaced the soles and stitched-up some of the wear places, not pretty, but still functional.

As for age, I am eligible for Social Security, but still like working full-time at what I do, educate those who want to start careers in the fire service, mostly, in emergency medical services. I'm retired from fire/rescue.

The over the calf boots (or mid-calf) are OK on me, the problem I have w/things leather is Euro jackets just don't fit me unless I have (usually) two sizes bigger. I wear a 46" suit coat but I can't even close the sleeve zippers on a Euro 48" equivalent leather motorcycle jacket, similar to your 'Popeye' calves, I guess. As-for 1 piece suits, I can't squeeze into anything less than an equivalent-to 50" chest set.

Yes, compared to many here, I am an old guy, but there are some who have probably 8+ years on me, I know, because one guy told me! You know what they say about being "old," or being "bold," when you're a streetbike rider.

As true for most riding gear, you can pick two between comfortable, protective, and cheap.

I used to have a pair of Icon riding boots, and while they seemed to be very protective, they were also very stiff and made shifting clumsy. I eventually sold them, and just started riding in my "everyday" boots, which now are 5.11 ATACs. They're extremely comfortable, have a shank for support, and not bad in the summer. I think they run right about $100. You can argue they don't have the protection level of a dedicated MC boot, but at the same time, you can argue that jeans and a jacket don't offer the protection of a full leather race suit. Have to make some compromises for practicality.

I've always worn engineer boots, Herman or Red Wing. They get more comfortable as they age. I might be willing to upgrade to something more modern and weather proof. Though I have slip over rain boots that work ok in a down poor situation.

Thanks for all the great info, I think I'm going to stop by some of the local motorcycle shops to see some of the boots first hand.

just picked up some Sedici ankle high riding boots. They are nice a comfy broke in fast and gave protection in case of issues.

Back