Running rough after a wash

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88Vmax

Reaction score
I washed the bike 3 days ago and pressure washed it. i know thatsa no no. i didnt hold it close just blowing the wheels out and light on the motor. At the moment it starts fine and runs decent but when im throttling it has a slight miss occasionally with a pop through i think one of the carbs. i hear a back fire in the air box. i put plugs in it today and i dont think it change a lot if any at all. Am i heading in the right direction. i know coils and the cdi box are well protected so i thought about eliminating them from the problem.
I did notice after pulling the wires out that the rubber grommet that protects the plug that can beremoved of the wire was melted on 2 of the cylinders. could this cause arching on the block. And saying that this is not the problem after i fix can i get anymore suggestions..
THANKS
CONCERNED VMAXER

pull the plug wires off and dry the inside of them.,mine just did the same thing.

Mine does the same thing. After blowing the water off with the leaf blower I start it back up and it smoothes back out.

Like twistedmax said, it's just temp electrical shorting.

I like to use dielectric grease in situations like these. Might be overkill but I've had really good luck using it to keep water out of my electrical connections.

Just a thought Bro.

--

Big thing is DO NOT use a pressure washer on them. Bikes are SUPER easy to get water where it isn't meant to be. I use just a hose with no nozzle and trickle water over the bike. Granted my bikes don't get very dirty. I have seen/heard of wheel bearings going to shit in short order because people use pressure washers and get water inside the bearings.

WD-40 is a GREAT way to remove water from fittings. I'd take all connectors apart (including spark plug wires) and spray WD-40 in them and then squirt some dielectric grease into all the connectors to keep the water out next time.

Chris

Big thing is DO NOT use a pressure washer on them. Bikes are SUPER easy to get water where it isn't meant to be. I use just a hose with no nozzle and trickle water over the bike. Granted my bikes don't get very dirty. I have seen/heard of wheel bearings going to shit in short order because people use pressure washers and get water inside the bearings.

WD-40 is a GREAT way to remove water from fittings. I'd take all connectors apart (including spark plug wires) and spray WD-40 in them and then squirt some dielectric grease into all the connectors to keep the water out next time.

Chris

+1...For sure...pressure washers or car wash's....very bad!!

Well, except for the bikini wash deals, they're OK!! :eek:h yeah:

haha. well its all i had at work and i wasnt close but guess it forced water everwhere. even though i was just shooting the wheels. but indeed the plug wires were starting to turn green inside. i bought NGK plugs that are supposed to be direct replacement. and yamaha wanted $32 for a (1) spark plug boot. so i went to honda and bought some NGK boots for a whopping 2.50 each.
Runs like a scoulded dog, whatever that is. ha. but im all set.
thanks for the replies

Back