Russell braided clutch line - Am I missing something?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool Manchu

Reaction score
Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

I began installation on my '88 of a Russell clutch line yesterday. No instructions included or available on their website. However, it appears to me, based on the angle of the fittings and the length of the line, that you need to retain the stock hard line that attaches to the clutch slave and somehow connect the Russell line to it.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there another fitting needed?

Thanks, SpecOps13. Glad to be here.

Thanks for the info, Rhoy Carter. So, if I understand you correctly, there is an additional part (or parts) that I should be salvaging from my OE clutch line? That was my first thought. However, it appears that the female fitting into which the male hard line from the slave cylinder goes is permanently affixed to the rubber line. Is this incorrect or have I misinterpreted what you are saying?

Is the stock Banjo bolt stuck on the fitting? I know with my Galfers there were new banjo bolts to fit the lines to the master cylinder. Maybe all you need is a new banjo bolt and 4 new copper washers to go along with your new cable.

Not sure on the Russel but the Galfers and HEL lines we sell have the banjo on the master side and the female fitting on the slave side. The steel line shaped like an "L" should be coming up and out from the slave and connecting to the OEM rubber line right above the mid gear area and about where the clamp around the rubber is.

Sean

Sean,

That's exactly the issue. The Russell has a 45 deg banjo on each end, when it appears it needs to have a female on the slave end to connect to the stock hard line.

I'm going to give Russell a call this morning for an explanation.

Thanks to all who responded.

i had one like that years ago. Sucked. You have to take off the mid gear cover, install the line, then reinstall the mid gear cover. They probably don't have the proper fittings available which is why they use the banjo down there (which will work).

Sean

Too late! The silver lining to that cloud is that I discovered that the leak I thought might be coming from the shift shaft was really coming from a torn middle gear gasket.

Additionally, as a cautionary tale to all those who may search "Russell clutch line" in this forum in the future, while the banjo may be bolted directly to the slave cylinder, the 45 deg angle of said banjo is too severe to effectively use in either direction and the line much too short. You need a much longer line for direct fitment or a line that is compatible with the stock Yamaha hard line (i.e., banjo on the master side and threaded female fitting on the slave side).

A call to Russell's tech line confirmed that the kit is complete, no other parts included, but, according to the rep, "in need of an updated fitment label."

Thanks again, Sean.

My HEL line came with banjos both ends. I connected directly to the slave cylinder with no problems. But you do have to take that cover off to get in there.

Dale #2592

The Galfer that I installed used the female fitting at the slave and re-used the hard line coming off the slave.

I don't see how a hose with a banjo fitting and abandoning the hard line can be cleanly routed there without being up against the head of over bending the bend radius coming out of that hole???

P.S. Don't forget the "olive":bang head:

The Galfer that I installed used the female fitting at the slave and re-used the hard line coming off the slave.

I don't see how a hose with a banjo fitting and abandoning the hard line can be cleanly routed there without being up against the head of over bending the bend radius coming out of that hole???

P.S. Don't forget the "olive":bang head:

Works on mine!

Dale #2592

Back