science fair volcano

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
My 10 yr old was selected to make a volcano for the science fair. of coarse I have to get involved to provide all the typical "Help" a ten your old needs. I'm not interested in taking over the project, but I want it to be a good show. We were talking about how to make it erupt. He wanted to do the coke and mentos mix, but I'm not sure the school would allow it. we looked at the baking soda and vineagar mix and then I found this.
http://youtu.be/4N0m95PExHY
Make sure and watch the last part. I think if we used this mix it would be over the top. I'm thinking using both of these. I need to ask the School If we can use peroxide, even in a weaker solution.

the last one with a red tint would be awesome. i would let the school know beforehand though, with the overly protective bullshit lately i could see someone calling pd or fd over it or similar.

If you really want your name on the map, just drop an M-80 in there and call it Mt St Helens.....................:biglaugh:.......................Tom.

If you really want your name on the map, just drop an M-80 in there and call it Mt St Helens.....................:biglaugh:.......................Tom.
Then I could post from jail. I assume they have laptops in there.:eusa_dance:

Go with the benign display instead of something which could be considered dangerous. You don't want to be held liable for any issues which could arise nor do you need the legal issues. Oxidizers are not to be misused especially if you are not a chemistry major. Just think of the issues which could arise and that should be enough to guide your actions.

Frankly I cannot understand why or how the school can just assign such an experiment w/o giving you a recipe & guidelines and perhaps some 'no-no's' to follow. These days the issues are safety & liability and then knowledge. You don't need the issues arising from someone being hurt.

Improper use and storage of oxidizers cause multiple fires and big-$$$$ losses every year not to mention harm to individuals.

Here's one episode of infamy in the history of tragedies involving the loss of life to firefighters that every well-trained firefighter learns-of. http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/pdf/texascity.pdf
It's estimated to be $681,000,000 as a loss in 2012 dollars. The Grandcamp, the ship which exploded, was vaporized, not to be unexpected, when the method of destruction was basically similar to the Oklahoma City bombing, except instead of 3 tons of oxidizer, it was another 2297 tons of the oxidizer which ignited and killed well-over 400 people in the dick area. Subsequently, another ship in the area, the High Flyer, also bearing a cargo of approx. 860 tons of the same oxidizer, also ignited and exploded, with the same destructive force completley destroying the ship to so-much shrapnel. Only one person lost his life as the area was evacuated prior to the blast once the ship fire was abandoned, it was a fire subsequent to the Grandcamp's explosion.

Now I am not making any comparison to a science fair experiment and these tragedies, except to say, working with oxidizers is not for the untrained!

Read the NFPA description of the TX City event, it's almost too-big to be believed.

Hi Firemedic. Point taken, but this a simple middle school science experiment that was listed on a childs science web site. http://www.sciencebob.com/index.php#. If I decide to go this way. A few basic common sense precautions, safety glasses, gloves etc, and following the instructions, will make for a successful experiment.

Yes, I saw the directions on the site. It looks like a benign event, but anytime you deal with chemicals and you aren't a chemist, or a trained science educator who has been himself/herself educated in the procedure, you need to be very sure of what you are doing. Just changing one thing in the sequence could mean unexpected events beyond what was shown. A common lay person mistake is, "if 'X' scoops did that, the '4X' will be that much better!" Science isn't a matter of addition, your results could be very, very different. I was also surprised to see them not always using eye protection and who ever saw "Mr. Wizard" without a protective lab apron and other additional protective equipment?

FYI I have been a certified high-school science educator and ran many experiments in-front of classes, and I would not follow the procedures shown w/o more protection than was displayed in that video, especially when involving a person who probably knows nothing about lab processes and safety. Unfortunately, it all could end up in a court, where a jury often sides w/the plaintiff because they 'feel sorry' for the person who was harmed in the conduct of whatever was undertaken.

I would suggest looking for another of those types of experiments for purposes of comparison about who pays the most attention to safety, and 'proceed at your own risk.'

Your last sentence gives me assurance you will investigate further and follow safety precautions always.

Now wonder this.....educators have having fits over kids losing interest in math/science classes. Care to guess why?

Because they can't blow stuff up anymore, they can't mix chemicals to shoot foam at the ceiling, they can't make glass bottles turn into mirrors inside. Those are too dangerous. They fail to realize stuff like that is what keeps kids interested, I know that was the only reason I went to Chemistry in high school since our teacher was crazy and set a giant balloon full of a hydrogen/oxy mix from electrolysis off in the classroom. There was a massive fireball and bang that made people fly out of their seat. Papers in the first few rows went flying, a ceiling tile came down, and nobody in the room could hear much the rest of the day. It was awesome, people were cheering, and everybody loved chemistry class. A lot of people who thought the class would be boring and lame ended up getting really into it. We had the same teacher a couple years before and he showed us a videotape of his colonoscopy in Biology. Everybody tried to get in his classes.

That was in a private HS, but still. Teachers need to engage students, and what do kids like? Stuff going boom, the unexpected happening, a sense of wonder. But with wonder comes risk, and our society hates risk. Kids now are coddled and shielded and sent to the ER for a scraped knee in gym class since they're afraid they'll get sued if they don't. With safety generally comes boredom, and if kids are bored, they lose interest. A friend's neighbor thinks he's crazy since he was letting his kid ride a PW90 when he was five, he got a .22 for his 9th birthday, and a 20ga for his 11th. He and his friends are all into air-soft guns now, they've got battery powered ak-47s and stuff and they play war in the backyard, diving under trucks, doing drive-bys on quads, the lot. I can see her looking out the window with a horrified look, and we laugh at her and shoot plastic BBs at her window. Everyone wears safety glasses, and nobody has "put their eye out". They have fun and clearly know the difference between toys and real firearms, not going to be any news horror story of the kids playing around with daddy's guns and shooting each other.

Her kid almost never leaves the safety of the television screen...."he's safer inside".

If I was you I'd make that volcano blast all over the ceiling and rain foam on everyone in the gymnasium, but some bitchy mom will get a whiff of peroxide, think her kid's been poisoned and now has brain damage, and will probably sue you, the school, the manufacturer of the peroxide, and the state department of education just to be sure all bases are covered.

So probably best to do the tamest, most boring version you can find. Everyone will watch a little red foam ooze out of the top, give a polite golf clap, then immediately clean it up and ventilate the area and throw everything in a hazardous waste bin, and move onto the next boring "experiment".

"Ra's" probably right on the $$ about what would happen if you did get a big reaction going. Litigation!

That description was so funny I sent it to some friends, thanks,' Ra!'

Here's a safe source for your project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WtYQ1wC6Sk&feature=related
check-out the product reviewed at 10:20 and the reaction experiment the kid does. That level of reaction is safe for the school, certainly not the Coke & Mentos! Or the yeast & H2O2!

RA's post made me think of all my childhood toys.
Lawn jarts, woodburning kit, creepycrawler mold kit, (nothing like hot goup) BB gun. Those were the days:eusa_dance:

RA's post made me think of all my childhood toys.
Lawn jarts, woodburning kit, creepycrawler mold kit, (nothing like hot goup) BB gun. Those were the days:eusa_dance:

I hate to think how many times I've cut and burned myself with wood carving and burning kits. It didn't slow any of us down, hell even the old erector sets would cut the shit out of you ( personally I think it was training for the slipped wrench, knuckle busters :rofl_200: ). Nowadays there would be litigation, bans, etc... too bad everything has to be over-sized with big foam tips on the end. Where there was an explosion, now there is a pop. Where there was a flash, now a meager spark and it seems that all of the really good experiments aren't done, just shown on video.

Back