Seat choices

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not well known. but the true 1st gen Corbin seat used the original V-Max 3 piece seat pan. They apparently only made this seat for a few years, and it was early (85-86), but I haven't been able to confirm any details on the seat or production years / numbers. I know that this is the only one I have seen, and it's wonderous. 500 mile days with no problem. Super comfy, looks great and the wife is a huge fan of the back seat. If anyone comes across one of these BUY IT!

View attachment 32505

View attachment 32506

View attachment 32507

Id love to see pics of the bottom of that early corbin

That does look like a nice seat but I'd still prefer it to be cut down in front like my star fighter or one of Sean's. also Rick, could you make a MaxGasser that would be cut down lower in front like my current seat? I'm only 5'8" and really like how much better my bike feels since I put the UFO seat on. I'd love to get a seat from you Rick but from what I've seen it looks like your seat would have me back to where the stock one is. I know I'd sacrifice padding but I'm more concerned with how it feels height wise. And a MaxGasser might look badass cut down low in front. Let me know

MaxGasser was going to be my choice as well when I've saved enough pennies for it. I'm also a bit short for the stock seat and can only flat foot when I've got boots on. I haven't seen anything that shows if it's lower, same, or higher than stock and would be interested to learn it.

If it's a bit lower I'm pretty well sold on it, and the wife could could flat foot enough to be able to back the bike up. She doesn't have enough leverage to push the heavy beast around on the stock.

Hey all you dedicated Vmax enthusiasts,
just picked up a 2006 Black Max and want to do something with my seat, I know there is the maxgasser, the corbin, the muscle guy and and the sportmax. It seems like the sportmax is the best priced but I am one who has learned that you get you pay for. However, this is only a seat man, it's not triple bypass surgery or an engine overhaul!
I saw Sean's post on how to dismantle your own seat and shave away foam and then re-stretch and re-staple the original vinyl right back on.
I personally am going to try this as I am an avid DIYourselfer and feel this is WELL within my ability, I can always go to a local upholstery shop and have them fix it if I screw it up.
Any thoughts from you all out there who don't want to spend $300 plus on a seat or am I just to darn thrifty?

$300 isn't out of line for a seat Bro. I paid almost that for a little use Sportmax seat (e-bay) knowing I'd get $100 for my decent stocker. I sold a used, but nice Corbin for $250 I think, with the back rest. The gas situation really turned me off to the Corbin; otherwise it was a comfortable seat. Rick's seat is an absolute thing of beauty and a ground up new design. Plus, you get to keep or sell the stocker. I'd have held out for one of Rick's MaxGasser seats or Sean's seats with the multitude of options, but I was in a compulsive, got to have it today mood. I will probably upgrade the seat before this season depending on my financial position.Wait until you see what exhaust and wheels cost for a Vmax.
hmmm.gif
It's all worth it if you love this bike like most of us do. For me it's the perfect combination of tour/hotrod. Enjoy your ride and welcome to the best Vmax forum anywhere.

Steve-o

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that with either version of the Corbin there's this easy mod that makes fueling a cinch - check out the piccies! :clapping:

I did that mod on my first Corbin back in 1999. It was first explained in an issue of V-Boost around that time. Works great but the last version is still better. Have access farther forward so don't have to remove a tail bag to gas up. Also over a period of time the extension has to be replaced. Does take several years though... My only complaint about the Corbin is the width makes it difficult for my 30" inseam to reach the ground. :biglaugh: However, that width is one of the reasons it is comfortable for long periods.

Thanks Heretic,

I wonder if yamaha put a stop to them using their seat pans.

Rick, would it be possible to have a Custom MaxGasser made that's cut down real low in front like my starfighter ? I'm sure I'd lose some comfort from less padding but I'm real comfortable sitting a couple inches lower than stock. And isn't your typical seat that you make pretty much stock heighth?

Ed, yes I can do what your asking, No , the MAXGASSER is a good inch lower then stock but much narrower in the thigh area when you put your feet down. Ill send you a trial seat in the spring, and then will talk about any adjustments you may want.

If you send me some measurements and some detailed photos I can possibly mark something up digitally to show the key differences.

Something like http://cycle-ergo.com/ but with your seat.

Another justification for going w/radials is the lower wheel/tire profile will drop the bike seat height a bit, then, a cut-down stock seat or an aftermarket seat can have more-padding to get the same result as stock wheels/tires & a modified seating position. Or, combine radials & a low seat height for the truly-short people.

I have had two Corbin seats, & liked them both. I would like to try Sean's and the Maxgasser, maybe when Kyle has another Tech Day, if I can make it.

I have a couple of used reworked seats on hand in our for sale section. We can also loan you one of ours with the option to buy but it may not get the personal touch you may have wanted.

Sean
I know this is from years ago, but would you happen to have any gen 1 Vmax seats for sale?

I know this is from years ago, but would you happen to have any gen 1 Vmax seats for sale?
We still do these custom to order. I have plenty of cores to build with. Email me at [email protected]
I do have some used Corbins and another custom front (made by another company) if interested.

May have been said, but imo it’s not the amount of padding that makes a comfortable seat but the fit. Stock has a LOT of padding. I’d like to try a old star fighter seat, love the deep scooped look. But no way I’d give up my Morley cut seat.

We still do these custom to order. I have plenty of cores to build with. Email me at [email protected]
I do have some used Corbins and another custom front (made by another company) if interested.
Hey there, I’m interested in a Corbin seat for my Gen2. It might help me reach the ground better. You still have any used ones you’d part with?

Hey there, I’m interested in a Corbin seat for my Gen2. It might help me reach the ground better. You still have any used ones you’d part with?
I have a used one with the corbin logo in blue. Its used but in pristine condition. I made the switch back to stock after a season on the lowered seat. If a new one goes for $618 id be happy to part ways with mine for $500 plus shipping.

I have a used one with the corbin logo in blue. Its used but in pristine condition. I made the switch back to stock after a season on the lowered seat. If a new one goes for $618 id be happy to part ways with mine for $500 plus shipping.
If Mag6 doesn't want your Corbin give me a shout. I may be interested. Thanks!

Yep Mag6 has first dibs. DM me for pictures (Ill have time to take them this weekend)

Yes pls send a couple of pics.
By chance are you interested in a Spaan backrest for a vmax as a partial trade?
Thanks!

I have a raised backrest already but ill take pics!

Back