Setting static and race sag in front????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Ok, here's what I've got

Racetech springs and emulators. 15wt oil and 1.5" lowering spacers in the rebound portion of the fork. I also have the forks sticking about 1/4" above the top of the upper triple not counting the screw on fork cap.

I was running 11" progressives in the rear, I since went to stock length Works shocks in the rear.

I had the idea that my static and race sag was too much already in the front as static sag is about 3/4" and race sag is about 1.25"-1.5" Since the front needs to come up in relation to the back I thought I should address the sag issue before raising or lowering the forks in the triples or changing the lowering spacers on the rebound spring.

In any case; If I want to lessen the sag in the front should I;

Cut longer preload spacers for the top of the main fork springs in the front?

Or is there a better way to do it? The fork springs I'm running are the heaviest ones that Racetech makes for this application.

Am I correct in thinking that the oil level doesn't really effect sag (assuming I'm not running ANY air pressure in the forks which is what Racetech recommends) but has an effect on the spring curve due to the changes in the volume of air being compressed before it starts to force the damper to begin moving fluid through it's orifices?

The bike is handling wonderfully right now although it still has a slight weave at 120 and above.

Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

Rusty

Ok, here's what I've got

Racetech springs and emulators. 15wt oil and 1.5" lowering spacers in the rebound portion of the fork. I also have the forks sticking about 1/4" above the top of the upper triple not counting the screw on fork cap.

I was running 11" progressives in the rear, I since went to stock length Works shocks in the rear.

I had the idea that my static and race sag was too much already in the front as static sag is about 3/4" and race sag is about 1.25"-1.5" Since the front needs to come up in relation to the back I thought I should address the sag issue before raising or lowering the forks in the triples or changing the lowering spacers on the rebound spring.

In any case; If I want to lessen the sag in the front should I;

Cut longer preload spacers for the top of the main fork springs in the front?

Or is there a better way to do it? The fork springs I'm running are the heaviest ones that Racetech makes for this application.

Am I correct in thinking that the oil level doesn't really effect sag (assuming I'm not running ANY air pressure in the forks which is what Racetech recommends) but has an effect on the spring curve due to the changes in the volume of air being compressed before it starts to force the damper to begin moving fluid through it's orifices?

The bike is handling wonderfully right now although it still has a slight weave at 120 and above.

Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

Rusty

Rusty,Are you tucking in good and holding the grips loosely?If I get down,mine is stable at any speed.Sit up at speed and look out!

Without pre-load adjusters on the forks the only way to really do it is to make longer spacers... The problem with that is getting the top caps back on...:bang head:

Usually when riding hard on my SV I hang off the side and forward over the front wheel. Granted I have Stomp Grip pads on the sides of the tank so that it grabs onto my pants and won't let go. The Max is a little harder to do that but you can do it with practice...:thumbs up:

Shawn, no I'm probably not. Uusally when I do this it's a short burst on the highway and I tuck but not alot. I'll try it.

4gasem; You are correct sir. I took the time to do a little research (mostly on the racetech FAQ site and main spring preload spacers are the correct way to adjust sag. Oil viscosity primarily effects rebound damping while having some overlaping effect on compression damping which is mostly adjusted by the emulator spring preload whose primary job is compression damping.

The answer to my question about oil level was as follows;

Q: What is the difference between raising the oil level and changing the viscosity?
A: Raising the oil level increases the compression ratio in the front fork and therefore changes the progressiveness of the spring forces. This has nothing to do with the damping (key point). Changing the oil viscosity changes the damping. Mostly compression and some on rebound.

Latest posts

Back