Shifting Issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad-Max89

Reaction score
Looking for a little help about shifting issue I'm having. Started a few weeks ago notice after I park bike and it sits for a day or longer. I find its hard to down shift the gears after I ride bike for a little while the issue goes away. My oil level is fine just wondering if the shifter needs grease or something. When its working normal the gears shift just fine. Just seems when the bike sits for awhile it acts up. One other issue noticed that when bike sits the clutch lever seems to lose pressure and I have to pull lever about 50 times to get pressure back in clutch. Not sure if brake fluid is getting low or if its something else.

Thanks will check that tomorrow. You have any answers to why gears are hard to shift after bike sits for a day or so. Like I said after bike is running for awhile they seem just fine...Strange!!

it could be the clutch issue yer having affecting the way it shifts. ill betcha...

How old is your engine oil? How cold is it where you are and what viscosity oil are you using?

The only other possibility is the clutch not disengaging properly - in this case flush and replace your clutch fluid. Remember that to bleed the clutch line on a Max you must either use a MightyVac, or reverse-bleed by pushing fluid through the slave cyl. nipple with a large syringe.

I'd check the clutch slave and the whole system for leaks. It sounds like, as as mentioned, your clutch isn't disengaging right. A mighty vac makes bleeding a lot easier. HF sells a decent one cheap, and you'll find more uses for it.
Steve-o

Slave or Master Cylinder would be my place to look. Old fluid could also cause some trouble... I'd replace the fluid completely first. Check and see....

with a 89 id chg the shift segment, along with the suggestions the others have listed, bleed brakes, id ever rebuild the clutch slave cylinder, takes no time and easy to do, cheap also. and while yoru at it might as well get the monkey involved and chg the clutch line to ss.

but shift segment chg to post 99 model, if its not that it will be, they all wear out and little pins fall out. just do a search here you will get list of parts you need.

I'd also bet your issue is a lack of clutch disengagement...after it's worked a few times the hydraulics work better and push it farther out and shifting gets easier.

Change the fluid, see if that helps. If not as said the slave and/or master may be leaking.

The shift segment going bad (loose pins about to fall out) is usually difficult grabbing a gear or getting lots of false neutrals between gears (other than 1 and 2). I had an occasional problem with this for a few weeks, and finally it gave out entirely and I couldn't get past 3rd gear. The segment is pretty easy to change though. Pull the clutch and basket and it's right there. One bolt, old one out, new one in, back together.

Back