Shocks?????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newklear

Reaction score
Happy New Year All!

Since the wonderful rain we got most of this weekend kinda killed the snowmobiling around here (NH), I'm back looking at stuff for my 2001 VMAX.

Last year, I did a ton of stuff to bring the ol' girl back to her prime including:

Painting the wheels, fenders and air box.
Complete (aka expensive!) carburetor re-builds.
New clutch packs.
New (stock) exhaust.
New braided steel brake lines and pads.
Transmission service.
Complete tune-up.
Xenon headlight.
New tires.
Chrome work.

So, this winter I decided to go with the suspension and handling as everyone on here thought that this is a weak area for the mighty Max so we're doing new progressive front fork springs, Kosman rear wheel modification for replacing the bias plies with radials, UFO Perfromance Products swing-arm.

So, that leaves shocks. My dealer thinks the stock originals are good (about 17,000 miles on them).......your thoughts? What would you suggest for replacement shocks? Do I need them? Or are the originals fine, at least for now?

Also, what brand tires? Any suggestions there?

Thanks, guys!

Since the winter sucks, THINK spring!

Progressive Suspension sells a lot of different shocks in different price ranges. Do you need $500+ shocks? Probably not. More damping adjustments, possibility of rebuilding, different finish, those are choices you have.

There are other manufacturers. Hagon is popular in Europe. Koni is still around. Penske is $$$.

I got some Prog. Susp. 412's which are a better than OEM shock at a reasonable price. Most people are not in-need of $600 shocks. The bike's use doesn't dictate them, but some people want better stuff. What can your pocketbook stand?

I got some Prog. Susp. 412's which are a better than OEM shock at a reasonable price. Most people are not in-need of $600 shocks. The bike's use doesn't dictate them, but some people want better stuff. What can your pocketbook stand?

That's the main thing....I have progressive 418's on mine.

412's on mine- i like them, they ride and handle much better than stock, for me at least.

I had hargon nitros on my previous max, they were better than stock and only $600nz.
This max I put ohlins on, basic model but more money $900nz. Had them lowered and springs to suit the bike and me, but much better. Smoother and the bike feels real stuck to the road.

Those are good ones, stock length is 13" so you won't lose cornering clearance from running shorter shocks. I assume you mean, "Progressive Suspension 444?"

Anyone have thoughts on the Pro 444s in 13" length?

Buy what you can afford. I have some nice used 418's (which were very good shocks while they were made) and will be getting some nice used and recently reconditioned Works Street Trackers. of course we sell Progressives new (and good pricing) and have other brands new like the Works and even Penske if you have the funds for that.

I run Progressive 440's which I believe now have been replaced by the 444's. I had a leaky shock after about 4 years so I sent both the shocks back(per their return request) and what it looks like they did is replace both shock bodies and the end caps that had faded slightly, all for free as the 440's have a lifetime warranty. Turnaround time took about 1 month.

Depending on how you ride just make sure you get what you need. Most aftermarket shocks low end products would be better than stock IMO. If your a more aggressive rider you will want something that has at least adjustable spring rate(which most aftermarket shocks will have) and adjustable dampening too.

I'm 5'9....but my legs are a little short, 30 inch inseam, I have 11.5's on my 07.

I'm running stock length 444s I got from Sean Morley at an amazing price. I am a bit heavy at 211 and I like the feel of the shocks. The adjustable preload is great when I decide to take the wife on a ride. I got them in black to match my bike and the finish is quality. You can see the shocks in the pic, this was my latest project painting the swing arm black to match everything else.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 29
What length would you suggest. I'm on the Progesssive site and it shows different
lengths.
I have a 32 inseam, I have a Morley midcut seat (~1.5" lower) run 13" shocks, forks dropped 1" and I can plant both feet. 13" are the stock height, which for my type of riding provides the most travel to absorb those undulating roads and the numerous frost heaves we get in our area. I had HD springs on my 440's but they always felt too stiff, a quick check of Ebay I located some stock springs which did the trick. No more bumps jamming my back and a little better handling in the fast bumpy corners.
Here is a picture of my setup, if you look close you can see a faint red stripe near the tire edge. That happened at about 125 where I found a dip in the road at the bottom of a hill in PA. It wasn't a super hard hit but I knew I bottomed it. I had the shock set at two threads showing so I moved it to 3 threads showing and didn't bottom again and remained compliant enough for regular riding.
IMG_2083 (8-24-2013 8!27!03 AM).jpg

Latest posts

Back