Should I buy it??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahmed

Reaction score
First of all hello to everybody (,my first post) .
Well I live in Asia and the vmax is pretty rare here nevertheless I came across this 2004 anniversary addition vmax for sale,it is red and in fairly good condition it has about 5000 miles on it ,runs fine, although it has been standing for some time and I think it needs some carb cleaning as idle rpm might be surging a little(might be because I have only ridden a gold wing which is super smooth and a suzuki s40 a thumper so I have no other bikes to compare it to although the owner says a bit of surging is characteristic ) I have had a test ride the bike runs great infact I have fallen in love with it can't stop thinking about it but I don't want to buy something troublesome as I cannot clean the carbs my self and there is a lack of experienced workshops here one thing I did notice was that after the test drive when I tried to restart it ,it shut of and the I had to start it by giving it some gas after which it was fine.
The ride is incredible been thinking about it can't forget, could u guys give me some warnings and insight if it should be bought.
Here's the link http://www.pakwheels.com/used-bikes/yamaha-v-max-2004-for-sale-in-karachi-105645

Bike looks very clean, but the anniversary edition is a 2005.

Wow that bike looks very clean. Do he have any recorders on maintenance or up keep of the bike. Make sure what year the bike is.... How much he trying to get for it. Find out what work been dun to it if any.

probably just a typo, probably was made in 2004, but is a 2005 model.

Carbs are pretty straight forward to go through and clean but you do need to know how to set them up or will be lots of headaches.
Lots posts here to help and guys that do carb rebuilds or exchange services. Might be trickier to ship that far though, better to get those ones dialed in.

Surging is not characteristic of a well-tuned V Max, and the bike should not die when idling. Like others have said, these problems are most likely being caused by carburator issues. Search for the "Shotgun"procedure, to clean the idle circuits.
Cheers, and welcome!:punk:

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the exhaust shrouds be chrome on the raised sections? Also the key switch looks quite scratched for such low mileage; mine has 20k miles and isn't that scratched.

Deduct 15% from the price you find locally for a similar bike and in no-issues-condition, and don't pay any more than that. Just a suggestion.

It looks pretty-clean. There are lots of threads on here about carb cleaning, and vehicle inspection prior to purchase. Use the stickies at the beginning of whatever subject area you want more info, and use the search function, under 'advanced search,' type in a key word or two, and start reading.

Kinda strange that there are no numbers on the anniversary badge on the tank.

+1

I would ask about that. From the factory the '05, 20th anniversary bikes were numbered ****/2000 on the faux tanks badge. Replacement badges were left blank.

xoay.jpg

+1

I would ask about that. From the factory the '05, 20th anniversary bikes were numbered ****/2000 on the faux tanks badge. Replacement badges were left blank.

xoay.jpg

Wow I learn something new, That a cool looking emblem.

Maybe it is a 2004 that was modified to look like the 2005 Anniversary Edition. Check the title and/or the info on the steering neck. Will show year.

After looking at the pics again, don't believe it was modified. May have been wrecked though and a new air box cover/badge installed.

I believe only the first 2000 were taged with a number , the rest just had the badge.

Now I remember. Just the ones shipped to the US were numbered as only 2000 were imported. Wasn't the total made for worldwide sale 2500?

Back