Signal Light Relay Internals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
Has anyone disected a signal light relay pack or otherwise found out how the internals work? Anyone draw up a schematic??

I've done the LED conversion and have the fast blink rate like everyone else. I've tried adding resistors in series in both legs of the left and right signal light circuits but it did not change the flash rate.

I'd like to figure this out without losing my self-canceling feature. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

I just got my relay from custom dynamics. $15 and 2 minutes to install. Works perfect! I tried about everything else without any luck. The schematic is in the service manual. For this 85 harness I removed the brown with white wire and jumped over the brown wire (spliced into it).

Sean

I have integrated led stop light blinkers and im using power resistors. You can find them on ebay really cheap. Im using 5W resistors and work mint, you know those ceramic rectangular ones? The thing with the relay is that the current on the system gets lower due to the low consumption of the leds and the blinking rate gets faster. Just one catch though, they get hot when operating so be careful where you fix them...

I have integrated led stop light blinkers and im using power resistors. You can find them on ebay really cheap. Im using 5W resistors and work mint, you know those ceramic rectangular ones? The thing with the relay is that the current on the system gets lower due to the low consumption of the leds and the blinking rate gets faster. Just one catch though, they get hot when operating so be careful where you fix them...

I already had tried 10 ohm ones and no improvement.......

I just got my relay from custom dynamics. $15 and 2 minutes to install. Works perfect! I tried about everything else without any luck. The schematic is in the service manual. For this 85 harness I removed the brown with white wire and jumped over the brown wire (spliced into it).

Sean

My book just has a "black box" shown with the wires coming out of it. The CD relay leaves the self-cancel feature in working order?? Can you post a link to it for me, Sean? Thanks.

Let me check the ohmic values and i'll let you know, i dont recall now... I know for sure they are 5W in power

Not sure on the later wire harness. Will need to remember to look at the schematic.

Sean

Let me check the ohmic values and i'll let you know, i dont recall now... I know for sure they are 5W in power

Thanks. I calculated needing 5 ohms to replace each incadescent bulb. Therfore figured a 10 ohm in each circuit (left vs right) would do it. But it didn't.

But depending on what's inside the relay pack i'm beginning to wonder if it's looking for more than the resistance replaced. Like maybe an inductive circuit?? I dunno......

Thanks for your help though..........

You just need the resistors to replace the consumption that was done by the bulb in order to keep the relay blinking rhythm. My bike is 250 miles away from me but this week i'll check and get the multimeter on it to read the values.

Has anyone disected a signal light relay pack or otherwise found out how the internals work? Anyone draw up a schematic??

I've done the LED conversion and have the fast blink rate like everyone else. I've tried adding resistors in series in both legs of the left and right signal light circuits but it did not change the flash rate.

I'd like to figure this out without losing my self-canceling feature. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

I liked the faster blinking with my LEDS so I left it alone. You can just get one of these to fix the issue:

http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm

You will loose the self canceling feature although with getting a new relay. I havent seen anyone that was able to replace or fix the speed with keeping the canceling feature.

Not sure why you would lose that? I didn't keep it on the reaper bike I used one on due to making ours Independent so we can actually use them as hazards. Looks like it should be able to be made to work??

Sean

I made a mistake. I said 5W but i messed it up i meant 5 Ohms. The resistor is 20W to replace the usual 21W of the bulb. I have no issues with the self cancelling stuff. Here goes a pic for everyones questions... If you for for these resistors take in mind that heat up quite a bit so be careful where you place them. I have them strapped to the rear pillion frame long tubes on the inside. Being next to the frame helps to dissipate heat. I mean they don't get hot enough that you can't hold them but they get a bit...

28022011329.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back