Some guys never learn...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
Fellow at work has been pestering me to "go on a ride" with him for a while. He rides a nice M109 (I admit that I like the looks of them).

What's been bugging me has been his incessant yammering about how "powerful" and "fast" this elephant is. He's seen my bike, but didn't have a clue what a Vmax was.

He does now.

Although, he was foolish enough to try a few times, he soon figured out we should just ride and enjoy the sunshine and the air. Absolutely no competition. I seriously doubt he'll be so anxious to "go on another ride". To be completely honest, I'm not overly hearbroken over it...

But, it was a fabulous day for a ride in the desert and to put another deep notch in the pistol grip - and he did buy lunch!

Attachments

• DSCN3907.jpg
    DSCN3907.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN3908.jpg
    DSCN3908.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCN3911.jpg
    DSCN3911.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 133
m109 is a heavy f*ck, why would he "race" it? might have a better chance with a harley... if it doesn't blow a piston and leak oil over everything

AWESOME !!!

The wife & I visited New Mexico a few years back. That area of the USA looks like a great place to ride. My rental car couldn't keep up with local traffic, but a Vmax sure could.

I test rode the 109. Took me all of three minutes to say "no thanks". Love the back tire/wheel. Wish the Max had an equal. Took out the FJR and it was twice the bike a 109 is. Made the shop a fair offer and they started playing the games so I walked. Think I still will look at it or the Concourse as the next bike.

Great pics!

Looks like a stock M109. I've heard they can be more of a contender with aftermarket pipes and a power commander.

Keep up the good work!

Blaine

Great pics!

Looks like a stock M109. I've heard they can be more of a contender with aftermarket pipes and a power commander.

Keep up the good work!

Blaine

I can vouch that with some work, the M109 can give the Max a run for it's money, against all odds. The person I ride with most often has one with a power commander and aftermarket pipes, don't know what brand or anything.

The no-BS version of what happens when we line up, when he finally decided to play fair and run. I had tried several times, and he would shut down the second he got ahead, and proceed to say he "totally smoked" me.

-From a standstill, it gets me off the line. The 260 rear tire hooks up, my 170 Metz doesn't.
Once I grab second, I close the small distance that's opened between us. We're dead even to probably 65-70mph.
Once I get third, I start to pull away, and stay ahead to the top end. According to the speedo(which I've found to be rather accurate against a GPS), I level off at about 145mph on flats. On a slight downgrade, it touched 150. The M109 will catch up, and no kidding our top ends are almost identical, the only difference is he claims his speedo is pegged on the pin at what would be 155(it only goes to 150). Of course later he claimed he was just "pacing" me and could have gone faster.....okay, whatever you say.

From a 5mph roll-on it's almost the same story, but I catch/pass him a bit faster since I can use more throttle in first without burning out/fishtailing.

For my Vmax to his M109, I have to say the straight-line speed is, for all practical purposes, about the same. However, in the corners I blow him away. I have frame braces, fork brace, progressive springs, and Metz ME880 tires. When he leads, I'm always right on his ass through the corners and keep having to tag the brakes. It's not that the M109 isn't stable (I've ridden it, and it is), it's that it has absolute squat for clearance, and you gotta lean the shit out of it to make it turn. He regularly scrapes the pegs going through 4-way stoplights. One particularly memorable corner, he not only dragged the pegs, but also hit the exhaust and couldn't lean the bike any farther. I still hadn't touched the pegs on the Max, and as usual was right on his tail.

Like most sore losers, he tends to "forget" the areas where I beat him, and instead emphasize that he gets a bike-lentgh lead off the line, and therefore the M109 is superior in all possible aspects, neglecting it's almost comically poor cornering ability. If I was better at launching he probably wouldn't even get that.

dang spec beat me to 1k i cant believe it.

ya thats how racing goes. sport bikes dont brag about their launching. but theyll talk all day about cornering and 220mph runs on streets that dont exist

My neighbor who has had 2 different Harley softtails over the last couple of years just borrowed my loading ramp to go pick up his 02 vrod he just bought. When he brought the ramp back he mentioned that now he has a bike that will run with mine. From what I heard I should be able to blow him away as long as he dosent have a turbo or something on it.

What do you guys think should I race him? Does he have a chance?

You are going to kill any V-Rod you come across that has a title. They made a V-Rod Destroyer that is available as a factory race bike. BUT, it does not even come with a title.

Sean

My neighbor who has had 2 different Harley softtails over the last couple of years just borrowed my loading ramp to go pick up his 02 vrod he just bought. When he brought the ramp back he mentioned that now he has a bike that will run with mine. From what I heard I should be able to blow him away as long as he dosent have a turbo or something on it.

What do you guys think should I race him? Does he have a chance?
If its stock you will kill him there are a lot of modifications you can make to them. When I was in Texas I had a buddy that had one & kept working on it & we raced at the drag strip every couple of weeks & he got to where he was only about 2/10th's behind me. When it was stock I completely killed him.

When i came in a harley shop to get some brake fluid, the sales man asked me when am i going to trade up to a Vrod.
"Trade UP?" I said?
"Get your best guy here with your vrod-screaming-eagle-special-edition-blahblahblah.. against my 20 year old and 30K abusive NYC miles 3K$ Maxipad for slips or store credit."

He said no :confused2:

The v-rod is the fastest HD, which is akin to being the smartest kid at the special olympics. Even if it happens to win, you're still retarded.

Stock to stock it won't even be a challenge, though make sure you always take point, so you won't hit an oil slick or dropped parts from his bike. For everyone's safety, ensure the HD always plays caboose.

One of the people at work has a HD standard (non dresser) and usually rides it to work. One day it came in and was considerably louder than usual.....took about 15 seconds for him to tell everyone who works there about his new "SCREAMIN' EAGLE" (tm) pipes and how the dealer said it should give him 10hp. He knows I ride a Vmax but strangely kept the bragging and BS away from me until lunchtime, when everyone went out to listen to him rev the cement mixer. "man, now THATS a bike, none of this japanese import crap". As usual, I reminded him that my 13 year old bike that cost 1/4 as much would rape him back to the stone age and I'd be willing to prove it at any time. Followed up the the foolproof HD excuse "I got the bike to enjoy the ride, not race around". A few weeks later he started complaining the motor was "rattling" at a certain RPM and had a dead spot at that speed, it went to the shop for several weeks. I made sure to toss an occasional comment like "nice day for a ride" and "glad I took the bike today, fancy a ride after work" in return for his comments about my jap-scrap as his "american thunder" was laid up in the shop, with a whopping 3k miles on it.

The v-rod is the fastest HD, which is akin to being the smartest kid at the special olympics. Even if it happens to win, you're still retarded.

everyone went out to listen to him rev the cement mixer.

you know i really enjoy your rants on HD. they are funny as fvck. but true enough. a friend of mine has a 2010 HD Night rod. its a nice looking bike. it really is, but he just wont run it out. he beat the shit out of his other bikes, all non HD. but he knows its the 'fastest' HD. he knows what the max is all about. the random 50 foot black lines at the lights and him coughing up rubber i think makes him a bit weary about stepping up. ill make sure to have the vid cam when hes ready tho...

keep up the HD hate, im loving it.

peace,
evan...

Attachments

• sspx0094.jpg
    sspx0094.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 28
  • sspx0096.jpg
    sspx0096.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 30
before i got the gen 1, my dad offered to pay half if i got a m109r, but i was like mmmm no thnx, got the vmax instead. not lookin back

now i have a gen 2 and it just kills everything

Back