Spacer length when using front spring mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctshooter

Reaction score
:ummm:

Can anyone give me a ballpark spacer length to start with when using the progressive lowering kit and emmulators? I tried what one person posted and the spacer stuck out of the tube about 3" and couldn't even push it down to get the fork cap started. Seems a bit much to me. Thanks...

:ummm:

Can anyone give me a ballpark spacer length to start with when using the progressive lowering kit and emmulators? I tried what one person posted and the spacer stuck out of the tube about 3" and couldn't even push it down to get the fork cap started. Seems a bit much to me. Thanks...

There's no written in stone number. You set preload with the length of that spacer which at 3" seems VERY short IMO but it's been a year since I rebuilt a pair of Vmax forks. Cut an inch off and see what happens. Just make sure that both side are identical.

If I remember right I used 7" spacers for progressive springs with 1.5" lowering blocks. I find the sag a litlle light and would probably use 7.5" if I did it again. i would think the emulators would change that tho....by the height of the emulators?

Dale

When I called Progressive, they told me to set them 5/8th of an inch sticking out above the fork with the suspension hanging. I haven't tried it yet to see how it feels.

Sounds reasonable. I was around that...maybe alittle less. Like I said I would add a bit more if I was to do it again and just might.

Dale

When I called Progressive, they told me to set them 5/8th of an inch sticking out above the fork with the suspension hanging. I haven't tried it yet to see how it feels.

That sounds about right. I'm running progressives as well. You can start with spacers a little longer than you think you need and take 5mm off each time until they feel right, then cut your final set.

I just finished the progressive spring mod and used the 5/8" measurement. I'm very pleased with the result, and feel 5/8" is just right for my riding style. Much more than that and it would be difficult to install the cap bolt.

dan

Back