Spark plug wires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollin thunder

Reaction score
Are these easy to put on .I am thinking of replacing mine with colored ones .Where are the other two coils located aside from the ones under the fake tank?.

Rear ones yes front one's are a PIA!

I've only ever changed the leads when the motor has been out but if you have some (very) long nosed pliers you should be able to get to the gland nuts on the end of the coils.

Be careful not to loose the rubber olives that go on the end of the leads and a very light wipe of silicon lube on the olive allows the gland nut to fully re-tighten.

should go to a COP set up, unless your going for the color wire thing on the bike

dont have to deal with split or messed up coils, a lot lighter, its a clean set up get a wire harness off newer bikes, there is a thread from which bikes to get them from and there is also gagnon who makes harnesses but think hes out of some parts but you can make a mod from getting hole harness off of ebay or something.

also quicker starting some see on their bikes. i got one set up and like it a lot. easy mod and well worth the money for sure, not expensive either.

You probably don't need the resistor version. You have a '93 and if you're not running a Dyna 3K you are good to go with plain connectors and those Gannon can make for you right now i think

I've done the CoP mod and yes, the bike does start marginally better and yes, throttle response is perhaps a bit sharper BUT...
Whilst the differences are noticeable immediately after fitting them this fades very quickly as you adjust to the new situation.
If you did a blind test I suspect that you wouldn't notice that much difference.

There is nothing wrong with a well maintained coil/ HT lead/ plug cap set-up and replacing the leads will be significantly cheaper than going CoP.

I swapped sides for the front coils so that the post faces outboard....makes it much easier to change the front wires.

Back