Spin-On Oil Filter Conversion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4WARND

Reaction score
Does anyone here have the C.O.O. Spin on adapters for your oil filter.

I have always just suffered through with the internal style on both my old '86 and current '94. No such luck this round of oil change. The bolt is F#@KED. I'm just looking for some input on that part from Cycle On Off that will convert this to the newer style spin-on filter.

How does it mount and what holds it in place? Do you need replace the cross brace with one of theirs or better to modify your's? How hard is it to modify the old brace? What kind of new headaches might I have too look forward to?

Any input would be appreciated.

Nathan Kazenske
V.M.O.A. Iowa Chapter Leader
[email protected]
cell: 563-370-3704

Yeah, that bolt is like butter soft. It's easy enough to replace.

I'm not sure how the adapter plate fits on. I do know you'll need a late model cross brace from a '96 Vmax or up.

Just make sure you CALL Tom as his internet skills are limited!

Make sure he has one or if he doesn't ask him how long it's going to take to ship.

Just make sure you CALL Tom as his internet skills are limited!

Make sure he has one or if he doesn't ask him how long it's going to take to ship.

If his internet site is right he has 6 limited edition black adapters in stock.

Thanks to all for the quick input.

Rumblethump, What does the adapter plate mount with? Is it the same center bolt or does it use the 4 slots I see in the photo?

I have purchased the Spin on Adapter from Tom at Cycleoneoff for my 85 engine. I havent had any problems and Tom is a straight up guy. Call him though on the phone..

If your bolt is fucked up than most likely the aluminum threads you are screwing it into are F'd also. It uses the same type of bolt that holds the plate on and there are threads that the oil filter will spin on.
Did you cross thread or over torque your threads in the engine

What about modifying the existing crossbrace? How much more clearance is needed? Is the 96+ a straight bolt-on? (looks like my horn is attached there on my 94 - will I have to relocate it?

Thanks to anyone who can help...

Buy the crossbrace. Easy to install. I put it on my 95 & love it.

If your bolt is fucked up than most likely the aluminum threads you are screwing it into are F'd also. It uses the same type of bolt that holds the plate on and there are threads that the oil filter will spin on.
Did you cross thread or over torque your threads in the engine

Hard to say.... my bolt head was almost round but the threads were fine. I guess the P.O. didn't have any metric tools. :confused2:

The easiest fix for bad bolt heads on the early filter basket is to weld a socket onto the bolt. Looks good if done right and all you will need is your ratchet in the future.

The 96+ is a direct bolt on and the horn does have to be moved over (two bolts which are direct fit too). You can modifiy the current cross brace by cutting and welding a hoop to go around the filter which is going to be repositioned a bit farther out.

It's very common for the bolts to round off and there are even aftermarket bolts out there it is so common. It doesn't take a crossthreaded instance to make it happen.

Sean

Tom from COO mentioned that the middle of the brace could be heated and crushed in a vice to create the needed clearance. Feeling around the brace I notice that the back side is not round (tubular) like the front (it's pushed in). Could it be the PO had done this mod before, but put the old unit back on? -- or is this how the brace is stock?

The easiest fix for bad bolt heads on the early filter basket is to weld a socket onto the bolt. Looks good if done right and all you will need is your ratchet in the future.

The 96+ is a direct bolt on and the horn does have to be moved over (two bolts which are direct fit too). You can modifiy the current cross brace by cutting and welding a hoop to go around the filter which is going to be repositioned a bit farther out.

It's very common for the bolts to round off and there are even aftermarket bolts out there it is so common. It doesn't take a crossthreaded instance to make it happen.

Sean

I have to go from memory but I want to say it is stamped flat from the factory on the back side for clearance. Either cut a hoop and reweld it in or just buy a new one already designed for it. I don't remember how much clearance you need.

The spin on is nice for maintenance but the filters housing is no where near as strong as the older mag cover is. Of course you hope you never have to worry about running over something too.

Sean

That's a good point - since it looks like I am (my neighbor is) going to be cutting and welding, maybe we could also weld a little bit of a shield onto the bottom of the hoop (just enough for a little extra insurance, but not so much that it gets in the way of spinning the filter)...

Back