Spring 2011 SoCal VMAX ride anyone?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that starting this month through September the CHP is going to be doing patrol on Ortega highway EVERY weekend in an attemp to cut down on speeding and accidents during riding season. Be aware and play it safe, most of the guys out there will give you the cop sign but some times it's too late!

Well I got it running now.....but that day is my girls B-day, so might have to regret on this one. Will know closer to the actual date....

Maybe I'll just give her the axe. That will solve the problem.

So do we have a route for this run or is it just going to be a show up and ride event?

So do we have a route for this run or is it just going to be a show up and ride event?

I'll show up with a couple ideas/routes to run. Would like all that are showing up to come with suggestions too if they want. We'll figure out what the best ones are and head out. Need a good place for lunch and a beer too.:eusa_dance:

Can't wait,
Darren

All,
The ride is still a go...does anyone have an issue linking up at 9 instead of 10? I'm pretty sure I have the longest ride to the linkup point and I don't mind leaving between 6:30-7 to get there by 9. I have to be back to Fort Irwin by 4pm and would like to have that extra hour so I'm not consistantly looking at my watch.

Let me know,
Darren

I may be up in that area today and may show up on the 1st to ride again. I live down here in East County SD (Lakeside) and I'm getting out today to break in some new sneakers on my VMax .
maxine.jpg

From Elsinore down the 15 to Temecula over to the 79 and then over from there to the S2, down Montezuma grade to Borrego Springs and then up Banner grade from there to Julian is a great route to ride. Lotts of twisties and some nice long straights and swooping turns tailor made for Vmax riders . I'll be doing allot of that route today.

Look forward to meeting other Vmax riders. Feeling like a oddity / loner out here in East County; the Harley guys can't keep up and the sportie guys don't like getting embarrased ...lol

VMax riders are rare out here but then again that's a good thing, see you guys out there on the roads :punk:

Ok word on the set from some buddies of mine that tried riding Ortega recently is that it ain't happening... Chp is sitting at both ends of Ortega highway checking ID's and if you address is not within the village of El Cariso you are promptly turned around and told to leave immidiatly... I'll try to find out more before the ride but more than one person has confirmed this now. My Brother might ride out in person and find out for sure for me. Just in case come up with ideas for a back up ride. My Internet is down so send me a Pm if you have questions so I know to respond because my "aimless surfing time" is very little

Where they only stopping bikes from entering? Freedom of Movement used to mean regardless of mode of transportation, but with the advent of the automobile it has been curtailed somewhat in that the states are allowed to require a licence to travel on public roads. But I have never heard of it being up held against a particular mode of transportation and not another.

But if Freedom of Movement be damned, to bad your friend didn't presence of mind say he was traveling there to take part of a political orientated speech protest since the constitution protects your right to voice your political views anywhere in the U.S. Territories. Oh, wait, no it doesn't. That's why we set up cages called Free Speech Zones, miles away from the political bass turds and their handlers, that only allows to speak your mind safely hidden from the cameras, where you can't possible influence the outcome.

Know if any native peoples live/work in the area; cite Commerce Clause that says it is a federally regulated act to do business and the chp can't stop you short of instigating a (literal) federal case.

Perhaps assert your Right to Associate? Look up a restaurant in town and list it as a meeting place for a club or group.

You could ask for the cops badge number and then right a nasty letter to your favorite left leaning newspaper editor,but the LEO was just doing his/her job. I have no intention of making their day harder then it is but even when they disagree with an order they have to obey it. It was his/her political handlers denying your right.

If the issue is too many people speeding or too many loud bikes then that is an issue of enforcement and a matter of city or county ordinances. The small minded should not be allowed to make an end run around those by infringing on your rights. If those who live there truely hate all those interlopers then they should turn it into a single gated community and be done with it.

Not sure of the legalities of turning someone around, especially when no law has been broken. Sounds to me like they'er just upping the patrol numbers.

I doubt people are getting turned away. they're than likely confused, or stretching the truth.

On some other forums where were people riding it, but they did mention the cops are all over the area, like bees on honey.

Here is an article pulled from the AP wire:
CHP Conducting Crackdown On Ortega Highway

From April through the end of September, the CHP's Temecula office will ramp up patrols on a 33-mile stretch of state Route 74 to catch unsafe motorcyclists.

Motorcyclists committing traffic violations on the Ortega Highway in Riverside County will be the target of a six-month enforcement campaign by the California Highway Patrol, it was announced today.

From April through the end of September, the CHP's Temecula office will ramp up patrols on a 33-mile stretch of state Route 74 to catch unsafe motorcyclists, according to Officer Ron Thatcher.
A National Highway Traffic Safety Administration "Motorcycle Safety Coalitions'' grant will provide the funds necessary for overtime and special
operations geared to motorcycle riders, Thatcher said.
CHP data from January 2007 to December 2008 indicate there were 75
motorcycle collisions from where the Ortega Highway begins in San Juan
Capistrano to Green Avenue in southwest Riverside County. Twenty-five of the accidents resulted in injuries, and all were connected to speeding.
"Taking a turn too fast, a motorcyclist is likely to find himself in over his head,'' said Capt. Ernie Sanchez, commander of the agency's Temecula office. "This stretch of highway demands concentration and caution on the part of the rider. With this grant, we're hoping to not only raise awareness and educate motorcyclists, but ultimately save lives and reduce the number of riders injured every year.''
The Temecula CHP will coordinate with local law enforcement agencies to
conduct enforcement operations and advance public awareness efforts, according to Thatcher. --City News Service

I looked over some California statutes, I can't find anything, as far as law wise, that will allow LEO's to turn back anyone (barring an accident or a crazy person with a gun or other weaponry) that wants to use the public road.
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

I did run across an article that in 2013 aftermarket pipes will be illegal.

Any ideas for an alternate meeting place? Maybe something right off Interstate 15?

Sounds like us VMAXers need to stay clear of the Ortaga HW.

Please let me know so we can make it official and I can attempt to contact everyone.

Thanks,
Darren

Latest posts

Back