Starter problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagco1

Reaction score
Hi guy's, I went to crank up the bike 2 days ago. When I hit the starter switch the starter spin but would not turn the motor over. I tried it again - it would turn the motor about half way and then the starter would spin again. It made like BBs shacking sound 2 times. I tried it to day motor turn over find no problem - it turn the motor over real strong. And I tried again just now motor turns over strong.

I never had this happen before. My battery volts 13.5 and when I hit the starter switch the battery volts 12.3

Lot me no what you think about what's happening. I would hate to be out riding and this started to happen again.

Sounds like the starter clutch. Its often described as sounding like a box of rocks. Its a fairly common issue on these bikes.

You will probably find the cage cracked that houses the rollers and springs. Its hard to detect the crack sometimes with the naked eye when you examine the cage.

starter clutch. god have mercy on you. some seem to pay enough homage to the gods to be able to scathe by with a weekend morning of downtime. some like me needed to make a better offering....maybe a sacrificial lamb shouldve been in order

here have a read of my "adventure": grinding, clickity, kih-kih-kih-kih sounds on start

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Is there a link to show how to check and repair it. Is there away to repair it for good so I will not have this happen again...

Thanks again guy's I learn so much about the vmax through vmaxforum.
And all my new friends - brothers hood of the vmax.

starter clutch. god have mercy on you. some seem to pay enough homage to the gods to be able to scathe by with a weekend morning of downtime. some like me needed to make a better offering....maybe a sacrificial lamb shouldve been in order

here have a read of my "adventure": grinding, clickity, kih-kih-kih-kih sounds on start

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

This is so funny, yes looks like the gods smile down on me today.

Attachments

• vmax starter clutch.jpg
    vmax starter clutch.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 25
  • vmax starter clutch 1.jpg
    vmax starter clutch 1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 24
  • vmax starter clutch 2.jpg
    vmax starter clutch 2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 25
Is there a link to show how to check and repair it. Is there away to repair it for good so I will not have this happen again...

Thanks again guy's I learn so much about the vmax through vmaxforum.
And all my new friends - brothers hood of the vmax.

Talk Sean (one2dmax) about this: Permanent solution for starter clutch problems. I entertained the thought, but the wallet didn't cooperate. To be perfectly honest, I have yet to hear from anyone who has had to repair a bike's SC twice. ***knock on wood ***

Have any 1 tried this starter clutch from over seas...

They say better built than vmax stock clutch.
The only thing wrong with the stock one that my naive brain sees is merely an assembly problem due to a manufacturer's poor assembly line practice. it's the peening of the mounting bolts that are problematic--not necessarily the pieces themselves. For me it's like saying "use this fancy chair from overseas instead of the one that came with your dining set. its better". the stock starter clutch in of itself is fine. if it's performance that you're after, then i suppose you could talk to sean about lightening your flywheel. to what end? you'll have to talk to him about the benefits.

Nothing wrong with the OEM parts. It's the bolts that loosen, and then, like Joe said, the housing cracks and it's down hill from there. Not a hard job once the flywheel is off. Search the threads here and you should find all you need. Or just ask away.
Steve-o

good luck! don't forget your gasket(s). also be prepared to have to monitor for seepage once you get the cover back on.

Hi guy's I started pulling the starter clutch cover off.

I found the when the starter runs the big gear behind the fly wheel will spin would not lock up. I shook the big gear and hit the starter and was holding the small 2 gears in place the big gear spin the a bang sound the big gear started spin / turning the motor over. I tried 10 tens now the freaken motor turns find.

The screws not sure if the are lose. 1 screw is set back by 2 thread through.

"O" man I been on line and read the fly wheel can hurt you when you pull it off.
I guy got his car dented when the fly pop off.

Funny what's the best way to make sure me don't get hurt by the fly wheel.

Attachments

• vmax starter clutch puller.JPG
    vmax starter clutch puller.JPG
    421.9 KB · Views: 42
  • P1040183.JPG
    P1040183.JPG
    438.3 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for the video. Man me afraid funny don't tell any 1 please....

Thanks for the video. Man me afraid funny don't tell any 1 please....

So if you don't recognize that man in the video, he is our very own Sean (one2dmax). I must warn you, Sean makes it looks SO easy and don't be discouraged if your attempts are not another day in park as it is for him. Like I said in one of my previous posts, my adventure was not as simple as this. For some it is as easy, for most others it is a nightmare. Here are some vids that a couple other guys shared.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs54vaGlmJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfxmahrxJOk

For me, I had to employ the help of a redneck and his 8-foot steel bar.

Anyways, once you finally get the flywheel and starter clutch, refer to this vid on peening the new bolts so that the "ball bearings", "pebbles", and "BBs" don't return
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbOCIYl2pCA

Thanks Thanks. to every 1 for the video's. Man my wife told me to hit thing hard to
but I give it a few taps it's still on. I will play with it this weekend.

I kinda wash I lift the bolt in.

Back