steering head bearings dust seal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwilson410

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry but I have another daft question for you. I have just replaced my steering head bearing and I paid good money for good Japanese bearings. There is no bottom dust seal with the bearings and unfortunaltey there is no old seal on my bike, it was just packed with grease. Haven't had any luck trying to locate a dust seal will a repack with grease work again?

thanks Michael

Perhaps another daft question, but does it have a lower seal?

Unless the OE ones have it integral with the bearing (which I don't recall) then there isn't one listed on the fische.

I also spoted that some time ago.

But I did have that damn seal which does not exist in the fiche like You noted.
Not sure if this seal could be bought separatly, I ended with buying Athena(shit)
head bearings set.

I also never saw the cone bearing with seal.

The bottom bearing does have an integrated seal. If it didn't come with it, then you didn't get the right OEM bearing for the Vmax.

I had this very problem - got cheaper bearings on fleabay and the bottom one had no seal. I ended up buying a Yamaha bottom one instead as I wasn't happy about that.

It looks like this:

product_1836_001_lg.jpg

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Steering_Head_Bearing_Replacement_FAQ.htm

The bearings by All Balls includes the lower seal as pictured that slides in before you slip the bearing in place. I personally have not had great luck with any aftermarket bearing for the stems (and use all OEM everywhere anyway).

I am actually going to try and use as much ceramic bearings as possible on my next 2 face build. I am not sure what the lifetime rating is for them for street wear so will have to check that out first. I am talking about all the internal engine bearings as well as wheel bearings.

Sean

The bearings by All Balls includes the lower seal as pictured that slides in before you slip the bearing in place. I personally have not had great luck with any aftermarket bearing for the stems (and use all OEM everywhere anyway).

I am actually going to try and use as much ceramic bearings as possible on my next 2 face build. I am not sure what the lifetime rating is for them for street wear so will have to check that out first. I am talking about all the internal engine bearings as well as wheel bearings.

Sean

If I may put my 2 cents into ceramic bearings.
They're only good for very high rpms.
Im not sure if it will be much benefit.
In engine for sure, not sure about the rest.

Latest posts

Back