Stock exhaust whining/farting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cichy2

Reaction score
It was raining over the weekend so kept the mistress in the garage but took it out yesterday and oh my! When I start the bike there is an extra note in the exhaust. No loud backfire, but just an additional higher pitched "farting" that does not sound attractive at all. It almost sounds like I have a hole in the exhaust system but it is hard to hear with VMax engine running! :rofl_200:
The sound persists and get especially prominent when I accelerate hard. It seems to get better as the engine warms up but not much.

Any ideas?

Underneath the pipes there are some bolts that plug up some drainage holes. Did you loose one of them?

Underneath the pipes there are some bolts that plug up some drainage holes. Did you loose one of them?

i thought those were some sort of afr sensor from the factory? unless we're talking about different ones?

i thought those were some sort of afr sensor from the factory? unless we're talking about different ones?

Thought I read somewhere that those are ports for checking exhaust gas temperature. Something about when the bikes are assembled EGT is checked while the pilot screws are adjusted. :ummm:

Thought I read somewhere that those are ports for checking exhaust gas temperature. Something about when the bikes are assembled EGT is checked while the pilot screws are adjusted. :ummm:

This is mostly correct but not for temp. Used to dial in the air/fuel ratio at the factory when the bike is tested before shipping. Those bolts on each head pipe are used to connect the tool. Yamaha dealers used to have the tool and could adj the carbs with it. That is why new carbs air screws are each different. I imagine they are no longer used because of fuel injection. It seems many dealers no longer work on bikes over 10 years old. :confused2:

I found the source of the "I have a hole in my exhaust" sound and well it is a hole.

Looks like something kicked up from the highway and damaged the pipes. It does not look terrible but what can i do with this? (see pic)

Attachments

• WP_000169.jpg
    WP_000169.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 38
  • WP_000173.jpg
    WP_000173.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 43
I would take it to a small time muffler shop, they are good at welding thin stuff, the big shops would probably say we don't work on motorcycles........

If they have issues, I still have the stock front pipes from my '07. Pretty sure we can work a deal.

This is mostly correct but not for temp. Used to dial in the air/fuel ratio at the factory when the bike is tested before shipping. Those bolts on each head pipe are used to connect the tool. Yamaha dealers used to have the tool and could adj the carbs with it. That is why new carbs air screws are each different. I imagine they are no longer used because of fuel injection. It seems many dealers no longer work on bikes over 10 years old. :confused2:

WOW how cool would it be if someone could locate/find one of these tools or its design sheet so we could replicate it and share it within the community!?

We could ALL dial in our A/F and carbs without the need of a dyno run..
:clapping:

Latest posts

Back