Stripped Oil cover bolt.... advice???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medicineman843

Reaction score
:bang head::bang head:I over tighten the bolt that attaches the oil cover... Took it to the stealership... and the bolt got stripped. I just changed the oil so i can go for at least another 3000. I found another cover and bolt for 25 shipped. Any advice? They were talking about cracking the old cover and trying to remove the bolt.

which oil cover? the oil filter cover? did they round the bolt? what about vice grips or trying one of those bolt head striped things?

if you have big enough vice grips it should have never been so tight that a set of those and some torquebar shouldn't get it off?

I would think a pipe wrench on it would work, but will prob wreck the housing. The front exhaust down tubes might have to be taken off too. Also, I'd drill the head off that bolt if I had to, before breaking the cover (chips and aluminum pieces=trouble), then pipe wrench off what's left of the bolt, it's long. Might be a good time to convert to a spin on adapter, after you get it apart. Lot's of filter choices with the spin on. I can send you a long list. And, hand tight plus a very little, will just about do it with a spin on filter. The spin on adapter uses the same o-ring I believe, as the old housing. If the Dealer stripped the bolt? It's HIS resposibitity to fix it. I think I have the bolt somewhere, and the cover. You can have it. PM me if you want it.
Steve-o

the K&N spin ons have a 17mm bolt head on them for the 88 in lbs i torque them to too!

I have the old school oil filter cover. Where you have to remove the cover to get to the filter.

I was lookin into getting a new spin on filter. http://www.cycleonoff.com/vmaxpag2.html

Well i partically stripped it.. and he finished it... haha. It was my mistake, so i will pay for it. Maybe just an excuse to get the spin on. Will make my life a hell of a lot easier..

You can either get the spin on adapter and frame section OR, I have good used bolts (and maybe a new one) on hand. EVEN BETTER though is to take an old socket and have it welded to the old bolt. Then all you will need is the ratchet in hand to get it off and on in no time.

Sean

Using a poor fitting cheapo 12 point socket in poor lighting on an overtightened unlubbed bolt. Iras gonna suggest epoxying a cheapo SIX point socket on there to crack it loose but Sean sorta covered that with spot welding a sacraficial socket to the bolt. Same principle but probably more foolproof. Epoxy only benefit if there is no easy or cheap access to a welder but as he mentioned, he can drive it right now and take the new bolt and cover with him. Take some anti sieze compound with you Bro!

I have the old school oil filter cover. Where you have to remove the cover to get to the filter.

I was lookin into getting a new spin on filter. http://www.cycleonoff.com/vmaxpag2.html

Well i partically stripped it.. and he finished it... haha. It was my mistake, so i will pay for it. Maybe just an excuse to get the spin on. Will make my life a hell of a lot easier..

Don't buy the one that looks the same on e-bay. Going right to Tom at COO is better. I learned that the hard way period, and just wanted to warn you. I think you can get the curved frame brace from COO also, which you'll need. Or, a uesd one from Sean maybe? You'll then have many options for filters. There is a list on an old post here somewhere. I saved it if you can't find it.
ps
If you go spin on adapter let me know. I'll hang on to the cover and bolt till someone else needs it.
Steve-o

I got a socket welded on mine. It's not a sacrificial socket, it's a modification!
Turns it into a 1/2" drive bolt. Perfect! :eusa_dance:

Don't buy the one that looks the same on e-bay. Going right to Tom at COO is better.

+1 ... can't say anything about the ebay one, but I got the spin on adapter from COO and it's one of the best mods i've done to my max :eusa_dance: oil and filter changes are a snap now!

Back