Supertrapp sound

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4sylvester

Reaction score
This is my first post on the forum. I just bought an 06 stock vmax. I wanted to do supertrapp slip-ons but i was concerned about the noise. I like a good tone but I don't want it any louder. :confused2: I know.. .I am crazy. My question is will the supertrapp slip-ons be close to stock sound level if i only use 2 or 3 disks?

Your best bet is to just drill out the stockers for more sound if you want them a little louder.

ALL the ST's I've heard are quite a bit louder but they sound bad ass...

I don't think I've heard of someone spending the money to keep it quite like stock.

Chris

This is my first post on the forum. I just bought an 06 stock vmax. I wanted to do supertrapp slip-ons but i was concerned about the noise. I like a good tone but I don't want it any louder. :confused2: I know.. .I am crazy. My question is will the supertrapp slip-ons be close to stock sound level if i only use 2 or 3 disks?

Just use fewer discs. Most ppl who run the traps run between 7-11 discs. JUst put in 4 per side and it wont be too much louder than stock, but still give you a good rumble.

Not to mention the weight savings you'll get by dropping the brick of the stock mufflers. On the plus side, when I went to trapps, I sold my stockers on eBay and my out of pocket for the trapps was less than $100.

When I went to a Kerker system, I had no problems selling the trapps, They were under a year old and had low milage on them. But they sold quickly none the less.

Plus if you want to stay with the trapps, there are several types of encaps you can get to make them look alot better.

Attachments

• poster1.jpg
    poster1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 39
  • KJSMAX_3.jpg
    KJSMAX_3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 47
i know 8 or 9 disks will def be louder than stock. not sure how 2-3 would be with both noise or if it would effect driveability

i know 8 or 9 disks will def be louder than stock. not sure how 2-3 would be with both noise or if it would effect driveability

Its quiet. No effect on drivability. Been down that road while playing around. It actually felt a tad more torquey. They say in the instructions 6-8 for improvement over stock, so I wouldn't really go any lower than 4. I couldn't tell any difference between 11 and 8 using the butt dyno. I did notice a big difference after I rejetted to 147.5's. Things felt more snappy.

Last edited:
Trapps are better than stock with the weight saving and better sound , IMHO , but if you are considering more power ( and a lot of us do ) , get more info on complete systems before you decide. I went from trapps to Kerker and wouldn't go back.

Attachments

• 6-3-09 074.jpg
    6-3-09 074.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 6-3-09 073.jpg
    6-3-09 073.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00328.jpg
    DSC00328.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 42
Trapps are better than stock with the weight saving and better sound , IMHO , but if you are considering more power ( and a lot of us do ) , get more info on complete systems before you decide. I went from trapps to Kerker and wouldn't go back.

+1, no comparison from this.... to this :punk:

Attachments

• PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 37
  • SDC10276.jpg
    SDC10276.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 44
my 17" walker cans are a LOT quieter than supertrapps.

Correct. The only advantage the trapps (or any slip-on) has is the weight savings. Power will stay approx the same (if you rejet correctly which is smaller mains). I think I posted the current prices a few days ago in the muscle section which should be good till March or so.

Sean Morley

Thanks for all the great responses. I love the looks of the supertrapps. I know there are better power options but between the looks/sounds and weight savings I am gonna give them a shot.

thanks again.

Thanks for all the great responses. I love the looks of the supertrapps. I know there are better power options but between the looks/sounds and weight savings I am gonna give them a shot.

thanks again.

Wise choise for the $. Many disagree here. But, I love mine after ceramic coating them. They keep that stock look, yet sound bad ass with damper type open end caps. With that weight loss my Max weighs 570lbs wet now by swapping to the Carr Wheels, S-Trapps and other little parts I really don't need to mention. Put a little bit of anti-sieze on the headers before you install a set and Enjoy:punk:

I agree, its a good inexpensive upgrade for a slip on that sounds awesome. I run my SS supertraps wide open with 12 discs. Its loud! I mainly wanted to be heard when I ride. I have added a 140db horn that I can hear at high revs too. Now I can be heard riding and blowing someone off the road.....

Back