Suspension settings for gen 1?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer the most comfortable setting while others sacrafice a little comfort for better handling...it's completely individual. Read up on what the suspension components do & their adjustments and set it up to your liking.

Like Danny mentioned you want to figure out how you ride; aggressive twistys = firmer setup whereas less aggressive more straight line riding = a softer settings.
There are infinite settings you can do to a suspension with hardware in the areas of spring rate, straight rate or progressive rate springs, spring length, oil viscosity, preload, valve modifications, and even variable spring rate adjusters. It's a little more complicated with the Gen1 Vmax vs. a more modern bike since with our bike you have to make hardware changes while a more modern bike have built in adjusters that you can tweek.
There are some adjustments you can do like oil viscosity, air pressure adjustments on the forks and with the rear shock there are spring preload adjustments on the Gen1. There is not a great range of settings but you can find those settings in the service manuals for the bike. Most riders, it seems, change up their front fork springs, some use lowering springs to reduce trail(quicken steering) add Ricor Intimanators/ Race Tech emulators(rebound/ compression valving addins) and Jedi's fork spring adjusters (sold by Sean Morley) along with a good fork oil to improve the front end. The rear suspension can usually be improved by getting a set of aftermarket shocks which generally offer different shock lengths and spring rates, there are higher $$$ rear suspension setup that provide a greater range of adjustability but not many want to pay for the $500 to $1500 setups since our bike works best going in a straight line. It can be made to turn somewhat but your never going to keep up with a sportbike in the twistys unless you are a very good rider.
Setting up your suspension is not a easy thing to do for the novice (like me) but it can be done with the right parts, lots of questions and a little planning. Here is how to adjust or how plan to install the right parts so you can do adjustments to be able to have them all work together to achieve the ride you desire. Here are a couple videos that should help with understanding and setting up suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx-pxEkWPuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CJZhezaG9o

How do you guys set them up? Would like suggestions on settings for solo and 2 up riding.

Look closely at the wallet , examine how you ride , change to suit both.
I like USD front ends & their matched brake systems , with great shocks , 17" wheels & radials , notched & braced swingarm. :punk:

Attachments

• DSC03107.jpg
    DSC03107.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Group 3   5-28-12 587.jpg
    Group 3 5-28-12 587.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 31
How do you guys set them up? Would like suggestions on settings for solo and 2 up riding.

Settings? A stock bike will only have one, on the rear shocks.......no? And the air pressure in the front.

Settings? A stock bike will only have one, on the rear shocks.......no? And the air pressure in the front.
Correct, those are the only stock settings on the bike. All other modifications will require some wrenching/ replacing and spending some (Or lots!) of the mod monkey's money. All of these mods have been covered on here in one form or another so a little research can help zero in on what needs to be done.
I know you have the Gen2 Itgoes, so you have a lot of the nice built in suspension adjustments that we Gen1 owners have to spend $$$'s to have some adjustability.

Correct, those are the only stock settings on the bike. All other modifications will require some wrenching/ replacing and spending some (Or lots!) of the mod monkey's money. All of these mods have been covered on here in one form or another so a little research can help zero in on what needs to be done.
I know you have the Gen2 Itgoes, so you have a lot of the nice built in suspension adjustments that we Gen1 owners have to spend $$$'s to have some adjustability.

I also had 3 Gen 1"s.........all had the front springs changed, the last one had Works Street Trackers in the back , and Racetech Springs with Gold Emulators up front. That's about as good as you can do without replacing the front forks.

The Gen 2 has lot's of adjustments (4 up front and 3 in the back) but without really knowing how to set up a suspension they're not much use. ;) I'm still learning. LOL

Yeah, I've only owned sportbikes, I know about adjusting suspension settings, I was just wondering if there was a 'stock setting' that anyone used. The bike is stock and I plan to keep it that way. All or most of my riding anymore is tooling around town/countryside.

No one has actually answered your questions about stock settings. On your bike there is no adjustment available for the front other than changing oil viscosity in the fork. The rear has spring preload and dampening adjustments. Your weight and handling preferences require you to experiment with those adjustments. Don't know your weight with gear but I weigh about 165 with gear. I set the spring preload at the second softest setting and the dampening at "2". Then you can adjust from there. You should balance the two adjustments or you could have bouncing or slow response depending on which way you go. It does require a little experimentation. Ride a couple days with any changes to see how it works in all situations unless it is obviously wrong. When you add a rider you will need to up the spring preload and dampening settings but again, requires a little testing. Once you have figured out what works best, note it and change back and forth when riding with passenger or solo. The owners manual has basic settings but they may be for lighter riders as we are bigger than the average Japanese rider. :biglaugh: Haven't looked at those recommendations in years though.

I have Race Tech springs and emulators in the forks and Progressive 418 shocks on the rear. My previous Max was stock except for Progressive springs in the forks. I would definitely recommend changing the springs in the front at least to the Progressive's. The stock shocks are ok for normal riding.

Cool. I have preload and damping on the shocks at 3, looks like 4-5 psi in the fork. Not bad but it's bottoming on bumps under hard braking. Ill try 6-7 psi. Might check into the progressive springs also.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I have the rear shocks at 3 and 3...and 10 pounds in the front forks. I'm 225 with gear and like a more sporty ride.

Sometimes guys will lower their front and/or rear ends as well. Be sure too look around the VMF and you'll find what your looking for. I got a Air Gauge 0-60 PSI that allows you to bleed air with a thumb button. Very convenient especially with the Fork Preassure. More often than not though, if you go with the Progressive Springs most guys around here don't use air afterwards. Keep a real close eye on your tire pressure as well as I've noticed 3 PSI makes a big deference in feeling/handling.

KarmaKatt

DOH! Forgot about the air pressure in the forks as I never used it. Too hard to get exact amounts of pressure in each leg. I went to aftermarket springs in both the Maxes I have owned so didn't need it.

DOH! Forgot about the air pressure in the forks as I never used it. Too hard to get exact amounts of pressure in each leg. I went to aftermarket springs in both the Maxes I have owned so didn't need it.

Normally I agree. But the Gauge works like a charm and seems solidly built. I don't know about the gas station air compressors in the USA but the ones locally in Canada are pretty worthless. This way you can giver just a bit more and bleed to your exact measurement.
I do look forward to having PS Springs too avoid all that though ;-):clapping:

I have my Rear Stock Shocks set at 2 and 2, I weigh about 200 lbs. geared up for riding.
I like that setting because it gives me a good balance between Straight line Cruising and Running the Twisties.
I had it set them set at 3 and 3 and it just felt too stiff for me personally.

I have Progressive Springs in my Forks with 10 wt. Fork Oil and no air.

Last edited:
The first thing anyone should do on their max is change out the stock front springs. It's cheap and by far the best bang for buck mod to this bike!:eusa_dance:

Dale #2592

here is the tool that you need for exact air in the front forks. This one is a bit high...I bought mine form 40 bucks from ebay. Its 0-30 pounds.

Save up for some better shocks , as in Progressives or Works Street Trackers. You'll be glad you did . :punk:

True...one of the next upgrades planed are progressive springs up front...and EVENTUALLY for the rear...

Back