Swap front caliper to the rear.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevman

Reaction score
Ok I read somewhere that you can fit one of the front calipers instead of the rear so I scored a front one,removed the old rear one and fitted the front caliper .O no ,due to the positioning of the brake line fitting my HEL s/s doesn't reach.Are you with me so far?So,to me it seems [a] new extended brake line or chop 30mm off the brake torque arm and weld the end back on.If I do is it going to affect the braking in any way?:ummm:Has anyone else tried this?

Ok I read somewhere that you can fit one of the front calipers instead of the rear so I scored a front one,removed the old rear one and fitted the front caliper .O no ,due to the positioning of the brake line fitting my HEL s/s doesn't reach.Are you with me so far?So,to me it seems [a] new extended brake line or chop 30mm off the brake torque arm and weld the end back on.If I do is it going to affect the braking in any way?:ummm:Has anyone else tried this?

Well everything I have seen is fitting a new brake arm with a larger rotor as well because the front 4 pots are designed for the 298mm rotors. It's complete overkill for a rear brake but people like it for the bling effect. I am running stock with a Galfer Wave rotor and the thing stops stupid fast! I go for less rotational and unsprung weight.:thumbs up:

My bike is an 86 model and I am using the original rotor and replacing the old single pot crap caliper with a front caliper to hopefully improve the rear .So original question is to make it work [a] extend brake line or shorten the torque arm so that the brake line will reach?Shortening the arm will rotate the caliper towards the front of the bike ,ergo will this have any effect on the braking?:hmmm:

are you trying to save some money, or are you worried about how well the back brake works. the brakes on this bike are your life-i'd go with a longer line as opposed to modifying the touque arm. if money isnt an object and you wanna stop on a dime-do the r1 swap front and rear! there are 2 setups available for the rear, stock position or underslung. its way more brake than you'll ever need-but it looks sick!!

be safe
odieoh24

Attachments

• 167.JPG
    167.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 392.JPG
    392.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 46
are you trying to save some money, or are you worried about how well the back brake works. the brakes on this bike are your life-i'd go with a longer line as opposed to modifying the touque arm. if money isnt an object and you wanna stop on a dime-do the r1 swap front and rear! there are 2 setups available for the rear, stock position or underslung. its way more brake than you'll ever need-but it looks sick!!

be safe
odieoh24

So is a that an R1 front brake caliper you put on the rear? Because I have two extra R1 calipers now since I'm going to use Hayabusa calipers in the front now.

Who makes that adapter and how much?

So is a that an R1 front brake caliper you put on the rear? Because I have two extra R1 calipers now since I'm going to use Hayabusa calipers in the front now.

There is one that is made by MEK here in Germany. http://shop.mek.biz/product_info.php?products_id=77

comes with everything you need. Not cheap though! almost ?300.- (~$480.-).

I still have one in my tool box that I never installed, but only the brake adapter and brake line. No brace.

it is an r1 caliper on the rear. the bracket came from boxenstopp in fla. it cost 197 and change. you will need a longer rear brake line (27") also. i dont use the rear brake all that often and put it on there more to match the fronts than anything else. good luck on the mods.

later odieoh24

It would seem that you can fit a front caliper to the rear but it will not work due to the size of the pistons[larger] and the size of the piston in the rear master cylinder cannot exert enough force to push the larger pistons .Live and learn.

You might try bleeding it again. It should be enough to do the job.

Sean

Back