sync guages

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highwayflyer

Reaction score
I am gonna buy some carb sync gauges and I am not sure which ones I want to get. i need some advice and will I need any kind of adapters or anything extra, I have a 92 vmax thats been parked since I got hurt at work and now I am gonna get in back on the road, I am gonna clean the carbs and do a oil change I ve had it on a battery tender and she starts up even on almost 1 year old gas . I am new to the site but had my vmax since 1995 and still love it. I ve been looking at the gauges on Ebay. Thanks for the help

I am gonna buy some carb sync gauges and I am not sure which ones I want to get. i need some advice and will I need any kind of adapters or anything extra, I have a 92 vmax thats been parked since I got hurt at work and now I am gonna get in back on the road, I am gonna clean the carbs and do a oil change I ve had it on a battery tender and she starts up even on almost 1 year old gas . I am new to the site but had my vmax since 1995 and still love it. I ve been looking at the gauges on Ebay. Thanks for the help

I use motion pro murcury gauge, and there are a few other out there that are using analog dial vacuum guages, Morgan Carb Tune and others still use somthing different and even home made.

Do a search. there is alot of info on the topic here. eBay is a good choice to have a look-see when it comes to gauges.

The motion pro murcury gauge like I have can be had for around $120. But on eBay there is a clone that can be had for $60, shipping included ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carb...Z380170607115QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools )

I had been using a Motion Pro sunc tool, but I had trouble with it getting air bubbles in the tubes. I just got a Morgan Carbtune Pro and am much happier with it as far as accuracy goes.

:ummm:
Something that I didn't notice with the Motion Pro, or at least not as much, is that the vacuum on cylinders 1 & 2 are fluctuating maybe .5 to 1 cmHG, but the vacuum on cylinders 3 & 4 are basically completely still. Does this mean I have a vacuum leak somewhere on cylinders 1 & 2 ? When I was using the Motion Pro, all seemed to fluctuate about the same, or at least not enough of a difference that I noticed. So not sure if it is a vacuum issue on the bike, or if the Morgan Carbtune is just more sensitive. The bike runs great, so there is nothing noticeable to me that would lead me to believe there is a vacuum leak on the bike. Just seems odd that 1 & 2 fluctuate that much while 3 & 4 remain still.:confused2:

I lucked out and got a brand new Morgan Carbtune for 45 bucks on Craigs list. On a new one, you have to cut off around four inches from the tubes closer to the carbs, insert a one inch hard plastic tube into the cut end and put the four inch cut piece back on over the insert. This restriction of sorts softens the pulses of vaccum so the movement of the mercury or in the case of a carbtune, metal rod. There is reduced bounce in the reading. No worries shipping a Carbtune! Of course a carbtune is a four line tool instead of a two line job. No plugging and unplugging when syncing front back/left to right. Your just going sync screw to sync screw until everything reads even straight across the tool! You're syncronized. Do it twice and you have paid for your tool and do your buddys carbs for a six pack of your favorite adult beverage!

I lucked out and got a brand new Morgan Carbtune for 45 bucks on Craigs list. On a new one, you have to cut off around four inches from the tubes closer to the carbs, insert a one inch hard plastic tube into the cut end and put the four inch cut piece back on over the insert. This restriction of sorts softens the pulses of vaccum so the movement of the mercury or in the case of a carbtune, metal rod. There is reduced bounce in the reading. No worries shipping a Carbtune! Of course a carbtune is a four line tool instead of a two line job. No plugging and unplugging when syncing front back/left to right. Your just going sync screw to sync screw until everything reads even straight across the tool! You're syncronized. Do it twice and you have paid for your tool and do your buddys carbs for a six pack of your favorite adult beverage!

Totall agree with the Carbtune. I used the Motion Pro mercury in the past weary about the mercury. I picked up one of these Carbtunes last summer and they are great!!!

I had been using a Motion Pro sunc tool, but I had trouble with it getting air bubbles in the tubes. I just got a Morgan Carbtune Pro and am much happier with it as far as accuracy goes. QUOTE]

+1 motion pro with blue mercury substitute = bad expierence for me.

I use a set of dial gauges my brother bought from Dale Walker. The hoses rotted out within 2 years but was easily fixed with new hose. It has the valve style air restrictors so you have adjust each cylinder for needle "flutter". I like them to move a little just so I know they are not closed off too much. It takes no more than 10 minutes from set up to finish... so easy even I can do it!

Back