Tach and Speedo switch?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
I was looking around at some pics of Vmaxes with monster tachs on them. It made me think.....since it would be more vital to have a better view of the tach rather than the speedo, would it be possible to mount the tach in place of the stock speedo(i know this has already been easily done) and somehow replace the tach in the instrument panel with a speedo? That way you would still look similar to stock and not have 5 different gauges mounted above the handlebars. To me, that looks like a clusterf*ck.

Captain Burrito.......I know you mod the instrument panels to people's liking. Think you can wrap your head around this one?

I was looking around at some pics of Vmaxes with monster tachs on them. It made me think.....since it would be more vital to have a better view of the tach rather than the speedo, would it be possible to mount the tach in place of the stock speedo(i know this has already been easily done) and somehow replace the tach in the instrument panel with a speedo? That way you would still look similar to stock and not have 5 different gauges mounted above the handlebars. To me, that looks like a clusterf*ck.

Captain Burrito.......I know you mod the instrument panels to people's liking. Think you can wrap your head around this one?

i dont' think capt burrito frequents the forum anymore.... i've often thought the same thing, its easy enough to do a tach inplace of the speedo (easy being a relative term), but swapping the speedo out might be tougher... gotta be somone who has some ideas.

CORRECTION: I think he's been banned, either temporarily or permanently. His name doesn't show up in the Members list either.

If you find a small enough speedo for the instument cluster it would work. The stock speedo is too big to fit.

Another guy who put on a big tach several years ago ended up mounting his speedo lower and in front of his tach.

The guy's name was Mike if I remember right. What sticks in my mind about his max was the twin airhorns he had mounted up around the headlight.

I sold my speedo and went with a small mountain bike unit for $20. I read alot of good things about it on different sportbike forums. So I thought what the hell, its only 5 beers at the local pub and took the plunge.

I got the Sigma BC906 ( http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16...286-Sigma-Computers/Sigma-BC-906-Computer.htm )

So far I'm more than pleased with it. I have; trip distance, total distance, Max speed, Average speed, Time, Trip time. Very accurate, I've had a friend of mine radar me and it was spot on.

You can mount it pretty much anywhere and I think it blends in and looks well with the bike.

Attachments

• instuments.jpg
    instuments.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 48
  • bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 34
ive been thinkin about a better tach setup myself.

i think the stock tach gauge would look pretty kewl in a crome housing mounted beside the speedo:punk:.

i may remove mine and search for a nice mount...
hmmmmmm

ive been thinkin about a better tach setup myself.

i think the stock tach gauge would look pretty kewl in a crome housing mounted beside the speedo:punk:.

i may remove mine and search for a nice mount...
hmmmmmm

Originally I thought about buying an instrument cup and mounting the tach next to the speedo as well, but I got a great deal on the tach I'm using now.

One thing I noticed when I took my instument pod apart was the tach isn't round, it would need trimming to fit in the cup.

Attachments

• P1020872.jpg
    P1020872.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 33
Originally I thought about buying an instrument cup and mounting the tach next to the speedo as well, but I got a great deal on the tach I'm using now.

One thing I noticed when I took my instument pod apart was the tach isn't round, it would need trimming to fit in the cup.

well shit!! i see what yure sayin!!

I thort bout this when i 1st got my Max , if i even got a project i was gonna put a full Faux cover on it that covers where the tach/temp gauges are and replace the speedo with one of these . As it has all you need on it .

Attachments

• digital-speedo-information.jpg
    digital-speedo-information.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 23
You can buy 2 1/2" mini speedometers, as well as, 2 5/8". I found a few different ones online when I was considering doing this. Just start with a google search and surf alittle, you'll find them.

maybe a dumb question. u gotta run a new way to calculate speed right? like a magnet on the wheel as the existing cable is calibrated specifically?

maybe a dumb question. u gotta run a new way to calculate speed right? like a magnet on the wheel as the existing cable is calibrated specifically?

Glad you asked this Garrett! I've been trying to figure that out but was afraid it was totally obvious and I was the only one who couldn't see it! :biglaugh:

KJ, can you switch from klicks to miles, or is it klicks only?

Glad you asked this Garrett! I've been trying to figure that out but was afraid it was totally obvious and I was the only one who couldn't see it! :biglaugh:

There is a magnet epoxied to my wheel, then you program the size of the wheel. So far I've been 130ish a few times and have yet to sling it.
It is small and lightweight and attached very easliy. I used some left over winshield adhesive (caulking type) from an installation I did back in may.

You can switch from KPH/MPH and even reads in 7 different languages. French, Spanish, Italian, Engish...

The instruction manual can be found here.
http://www.sigmasport.com/us/produkte/bikecomputer/topline_wired/bc906/?punkt=features

I've got the side by side tach and speedo dual gauge mount..have'nt taken pics yet. Had to have custom cups and mod bracket made.

thats what i'm here for danny!

There is a magnet epoxied to my wheel, then you program the size of the wheel. So far I've been 130ish a few times and have yet to sling it.
It is small and lightweight and attached very easliy. I used some left over winshield adhesive (caulking type) from an installation I did back in may.

You can switch from KPH/MPH and even reads in 7 different languages. French, Spanish, Italian, Engish...

The instruction manual can be found here.
http://www.sigmasport.com/us/produkte/bikecomputer/topline_wired/bc906/?punkt=features

def looks trick and fits in nicely. does your oem tach still work/on? or did u replace it with another gauge?

I've got the side by side tach and speedo dual gauge mount..have'nt taken pics yet. Had to have custom cups and mod bracket made.

love to see some pics when u get 'em.

wasn't also someone a while back talking about a HUD helmet display that shows all that on your visor? thats trick! it was only like $300/$400 as i remember.

def looks trick and fits in nicely. does your oem tach still work/on? or did u replace it with another gauge?

I swapped out my OEM's with autometer temp and oil pressure gauges. The tach was a direct wire to the sunco tach then just turned on the 2cyl setting.

Back