tank cleaning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
moving forward with my 85 resto project, got the valves adjusted today.... thanks to Sean Morely for allowing me to borrow his valve shim kit and tool.

I will need to get the tank all cleaned up before I can move forward with building the rear end of the bike. currently its pretty ugly in there and if you shake the can around it sounds like sombody threw some sand in there... but it aint sand its rust.

was wondering if you guys could provide some input as to classic vmax tank cleaning proceedures...

thanks
!

Save yourself headaches for years to come & replace the tank. Best ~$200 you will ever spend, no constant disassembling of carbs, plugged jets, overflowing float bowls, being stranded & all the other frustration which a bad tank gives you. You don't need carbon fiber airhorns or embossed side covers or faux fuel injector tubes but you need a new tank.

I take mine to the local radiator shop they charge 89 bucks & clean & seal it for me. you can buy the stuff & do it yourself for about 60 bucks but for the time it takes to do it its just worth it for me to let them do it & have a gaurantee.

I have the same dilemma. Do I just replace the tank or get it cleaned. Smells horrible. Bike has been sitting for 10+ years now.

If the clean and seal is done right you're GTG. If there's Any question about getting that done, replace the tank, it will only give you grief if it's not done right...

"...it will only give you grief if it's not done right..."

ronayres.com

Buy a replacement and forget screwing around w/a 26 yr. old tank. Not much different from keeping the original brake pads because you want everything to be 'authentic' 1985. Put it on a shelf,tank filled w/ATF, so you have 'the original,'& enjoy using your bike & not having to deal with carb blockages & etc.

If you have to spend 1/2 the price of a new replacement, why bother with the headaches?

Miratic acid and water seems to be getting the job done... We'll see if it's cleaned up properly in the morning

Old thread, but I ended cleaning my tank weeks ago.
It was impossible to get those gas tank cleaning kit where I'm located, plus I was worried about using shit product which might end up peeling later on.
So I decided to check around and ended up going for the DIY cheap route.

First Goal is to remove all the shit you have in it.
I filled the tank with 3 gallons of white vinegar and hot water up to the top.
I sealed the tank and did let it overnight.
Next day, I could already see a big amount of rust removed.
I cleaned up the tank with water again for removing any deposit left.
I added 1 liter of phosphoric acid mixed with 1 gallon of hot water.
I sealed the tank again, shake and let it seat. Same process all over again during a couple of hours.
Last cleaning with water to remove the residue, blow dry and then a final quick flush with gas.

Phosphoric acid is commonly accessible in hardware or grocery store.
It's usually used in the rust converter, it does only attack the rust, not the rubber or the paint. It's also quite less toxic than muriatic acid which will eat about anything.
Phosphoric acid will let a light coating similar to galvanized metal after eating the rust. That basically prevents the rust to come back too quickly. No flash rust issue like what you can get with the muriatic acid.

I guess the product described in the video is just diluted phosphoric acid.
Not sure how much it cost, but I ended up cleaning my gas tank for less than 10$ and without playing with nasty chemicals. I just add a bit of issue with the duct tape I was using for sealing, which ended up leaking.

Pretty happy with my DIY stuff and the result.

If the tank is not that bad, Total toilet bowl cleaner with the lime and rust is worth the $3 for each bottle and drop in a couple od bolts and bigger screws. mine was pretty nasty and with a new motor so I spent the $250 for a new tank so the insurance and peace of mind

Evapo-Rust is the way to go, soak it, drain it, fuggedaboutit.......... I had one that was so bad that Evapo-Rust couldn't even save it. It's going to be replaced with a good used one come spring time when I have access to my bike lift again, sucks being in an apartment garage without my usual stable of parts and equipment! A 4 into 1 exhaust and no sidestand makes it almost impossible to remove the rear wheel to get that tank out! Did you ever get yours done John?

Back