Tdc?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godsend1

Reaction score
I'm trying to get the valves adjusted. When following the manual, on #1 cylinder I have the flywheel mark ligned up, the small hole on the camshaft lined up, but the lobes are pointed down. I'm pretty sure this is wrong.

:bang head:

Tom, don't use the flywheel marks. Just make sure lobes of both cams are like this: \ /

Or, stick a screwdriver down plug hole to set piston at TDC.

Mark,

IS that the intake and exhaust? and does that lobe position indicate tdc of compression?

Thanks Tom

Yeah, the intakes and exhaust for that the cylinder you're checking. That position is pretty close to TDC of compression. To get exact it's easiest to use screwdriver method.

Thanks Mark.

Maybe a dumb question, I can check both intake and exhaust in this postion correct?

Correct. You will only be able to remove two shims at a time though using the J tool. Either intake or exhaust.

Can I take all of the shims out at once, or will turning the crank damage the buckets ?

it will gouge the cams without the shims in place. Do only one pair at a time. It won't take too long but still sucks. Just do one cam at a time.

Sean

Thanks Sean.

That's what I thought. I'm half way through the gapping and shim checking and was hoping I could save some time.

i was taught this when i was 16 years old & still use it today on stock - modified-drag car-stock car & all of mine & my friends motorcycle engines , & i'm a 45 year old mechanic & have used this over a thousand times ! No matter how many cylinders you have , do each one individually as if they are all one cylinder engines ! It doesn't matter witch cylinder or valve you start with , or witch stroke its on ! Example ; take all spark plugs out & put a breaker bar with a socket on the crankshaft bolt , start with cylinder #1 , turn engine slowly until one set of the valves on cylinder # 1 starts opening , continue until the valves are all the way open ( down all the way ) , just at the instant the open valves start to close ( lets say they are the exhaust valves ) the intake valves are all the way closed at this time so you can check them ( the intake valves ) & change the shims as needed , after the intake valves are done , watch those valves ( witch would be the intake valves for cylinder #1 ) and when those intake valves are now all the way opened ( down ) & just start to close , the exhaust valves can now be done the same way ! Do one cylinder at a time , like its four one cylinder engines , this is the safest way ! Also always turn the engine in the rotation direction it spins while its running ! :punk:

Latest posts

Back