Throttle Bodies VMAX EFI

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's CADD ghetto, but it works. I've been using mine on several bikes.
Here is an AutoCAD drawing of a degree wheel in 2deg incrememts.

I drew it up when I needed a wheel and didn't want to wait for one to be delivered.

Its drawn to be printed full scale on 8.5" x 11" paper from your printer.

You then can trim it up and glue it on a lid from your morning coffee (5 1/8" circle minimum)

Then just put a hole in the center, make yourself a pointer and then use a sharpie or other marker to add the numbers.

The zip file contains both .dxf and .dwg files. The link below will take you to a free reader that can also print both files.

http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/pages/products/DWG-DXF-Viewer.html

The thumbnail is nothing more then what it looks like, its not the scaled drawing.

Attachments

• DegreeWheel.zip
    16.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Degree_Wheel.jpg
    Degree_Wheel.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 24
Little update...

Got the cam sensor setup from Gary Friday afternoon(Thanks Gary!). Got it all installed(dropped a cam locating dowl down in the motor. Had to fish it out!) and powered up the Haltech E8. There were a few issues right off the batt(Haltech changed some of my settings when i sent my unit to them to fix the coolant temp/air temp issues), but got those ironed out. We now have DIRECT FIRE for Cyl#1 & Cyl#2!!! There is no mark on the flywheel that coinsides with Cyl#3 & 4 so i have no way at the moment to accurately check the spark on these. As of right now though, spark is right on for Cyl#1,2. had to mess with some settings to get Cyl#2 to be right on. Initially it was 4-5deg off.
Still have lots to check before i can say its workable, and even then there may be issues that show up after its actually up and running. But for right now, i'm pleased as punch and it does look promising.
Tell ya what though, Gary sure knows his stuff! Getting the cam sensor setup to work on the first try is IMPRESSIVE! Great job Gary!!!

Yet another Update!
I ended up putting some temp marks on the flywheel which i think to be pretty accurate. From the timing i'm showing, i believe i got cyl #3 off just a hair(2deg), but everything else fell into place. I will get more accurate marks later as things progress.
We now have FULLY PROGRAMMABLE DIRECT FIRE IGNITION on Mr. "Odd fire" Max! This is sequential and not wasted spark. For those not aware, i'm running COPs. I'm pretty stoked!
As of now, i'm running the stk crank triggers(well, some of them anyway!) on my 89 V-max. Trigger counts(both crank and cam) have been dead accurate and the timing marks while cranking using a timing light have not wavered. Sure is nice not seeing double flashes! I'm sure the coils like it too!

One more little tidbit. I rechecked my mark for cyl #3. I spent quite a bit making sure of where it needed to be. Marked the flywheel and then checked timing. Its now dead on 5deg BTDC(where i have the timing locked in the software). So as of now, when cranking with the starter(and plugs removed), i'm now seeing 5deg BTDC on ALL FOUR CYL's!:clapping:

One more little tidbit. I rechecked my mark for cyl #3. I spent quite a bit making sure of where it needed to be. Marked the flywheel and then checked timing. Its now dead on 5deg BTDC(where i have the timing locked in the software). So as of now, when cranking with the starter(and plugs removed), i'm now seeing 5deg BTDC on ALL FOUR CYL's!:clapping:

Dude you rock. So when is this going to be ready for SALE??????????????

I agree, awesome job. I also will be checking in for the answer to the question. I know what you are talking about when you refer to a COP(s) but what does that stand for?

Dude you rock. So when is this going to be ready for SALE??????????????

Fargo,

You refering to the Injection/Ignition? Or just ignition? Either way, i'm not really sure just yet. Just too early to tell. Still have lots of testing to do. Timing working correctly just spining the motor over does not mean there will be no issues with the motor actually up and running, as can be see by Fabio/Luca's project.
This has been a HUGE step foreward in the project, but still have the tedious testing to do.
Tentativly, maybe available around the first of the year? If things continue to progress SMOOTHLY, then maybe sooner. Just can't say right now.

Time for an update, I'll be shipping all of the mechanical stuff to Mark this week who has been waiting patiently. Will post more pics when I do the final assembly of the throttle bodies. For now here's some pic's of the gas tank modified to accept the Hayabusa fuel pump.

Busa Side.jpg

Busa Back.jpg

Busa Bottom.jpg

Another small update:

Previously, i've done all testing through one channel on the 4 ch. Igniter and using one ignition output at a time on the E8. Well, i wired each cyl's COP up through its corresponding channel on the Igniter and each cyls ignition output on the E8. Had all 4 plugs firing when spining the motor over! Noticed that when i'd first turn the ignition key on, all 4 spark plugs would spark at the same time(just once). Well i don't really like that. Ended up using one of the E8 outputs to power up the ignition relay only when the E8 see's a crank trigger event(when motor starts spining over). No more spark when key turned on. Starts sparking when the motor is spun over.

Another small update:

Previously, i've done all testing through one channel on the 4 ch. Igniter and using one ignition output at a time on the E8. Well, i wired each cyl's COP up through its corresponding channel on the Igniter and each cyls ignition output on the E8. Had all 4 plugs firing when spining the motor over! Noticed that when i'd first turn the ignition key on, all 4 spark plugs would spark at the same time(just once). Well i don't really like that. Ended up using one of the E8 outputs to power up the ignition relay only when the E8 see's a crank trigger event(when motor starts spining over). No more spark when key turned on. Starts sparking when the motor is spun over.

Forgive my ignorance but what would be the problem w/ it sparking only once when the key is on. Seems like it would be getting rid of any inductance???

Only issue would be if you turned the ignition off, then turned the ignition back on to start after the bike was only sitting a few minutes or less. Would ignite any unburnt fuel in the chamber and pop or backfire through the exhaust(or possibly the intake depending on what valves were open). Other than that, would not be a problem. Was easy to wire it the way i did.

Just got it, busy with my daughter, only one week left, will respond tonight when she goes to bed

No biggie. Just wanted to make sure it got to you. I've had a few that said they did'nt get my PM's(sporatically).

Made a little more progress. Got my tank w/ Busa pump assembly mounted to the bike. Was a little bit of trouble for a number of reasons. Mainly my stubberness of wanting a fuel sending unit. Not sure how well that part will work, but the tank is now mounted and wired up. Put a little fuel in it and turned the key on. Promptly sprayed fuel all over! Forgot to put a hose on it and direct the flow to a can or somthing. At least i've got fuel pressure! Not sure how much, but a decent amount shot out of there!
Got the swingarm mounted back up. Still gotta tq it down correctly, but that won't take but a sec.
Hope to mount up my dif/driveshaft/wheel/tire in the next few days. Also gonna re-route my crank trigger wiring. Just did a quickie for testing. Now i need to reroute a little better. I have a set of Honda RC-51 injectors on their way. Already got the connectors/pigtails. Will be easy to wire up.
Lastly, and not related to the EFI, i've got a Marvic Penta I front wheel mounted up front using Busa front rotors. Actually was very easy to mount on the ZX-7/ZX-9 USD front end. I'm gonna remove it and do a quickie paint job(gloss black) to more match the bike. Then dismount the Avon front tire from the ZX-9 wheel and mount it on the Marvic, then slap it back on. This wheel/rotor/tire will weigh in right at 15lbs less than the stk front wheel/tire/rotors! Its 6-7lbs less than the ZX-9 wheel!

Awesome work gents!
Can't wait to see the final product.
What level of kit completion do you intend to sell?

I am hoping I could supply my own TB's, COP's, fuel lines, pump, regulator, and possibly injectors.

I would caution the likelyhood that people may source poor used parts and have isues, so that is something to consider when reputation is at stake.

I have seen a few good reputable business get bashed on the internet due to errors od the installer, or inferior parts the installer used. I would hate to see that after all your hard work.

I applaud you for your hard work, dedication and knowledge!
This no small feat for sure, definately out of my scope and I would rate myself quite abit above the average shade tree mechanic.

Kudo's and congrats.
How soon before you have pricing approximated?

Thanks,
Lyle

Awesome work gents!
Can't wait to see the final product.
What level of kit completion do you intend to sell?

I am hoping I could supply my own TB's, COP's, fuel lines, pump, regulator, and possibly injectors.

I would caution the likelyhood that people may source poor used parts and have isues, so that is something to consider when reputation is at stake.

I have seen a few good reputable business get bashed on the internet due to errors od the installer, or inferior parts the installer used. I would hate to see that after all your hard work.

I applaud you for your hard work, dedication and knowledge!
This no small feat for sure, definately out of my scope and I would rate myself quite abit above the average shade tree mechanic.

Kudo's and congrats.
How soon before you have pricing approximated?

Thanks,
Lyle

Thanks Lyle,

LOL Yes the internet can sometimes be very cruel. I take my hat off to people who build engines for other people. Went down that road once a long long time ago. I built Sportster race engines for a few people. This one fella who was a good wrench bought one from me. After running the engine for a short while the whole thing went to hell. He called everybody and told them I didn't know what I was doing yada yada yada... all the money he had given me. I agreed to a whole rebuild for nothing and apologized.

The funny part is when I tore the engine down for the rebuild. I found that whole engine was filled with glass bead. Turned out that after he had the oil tank chrome plated he neglected to clean it before installing it back on the bike. Looked nice on the outside. Do you think he went back back and told everybody about it?

I posted a thread called... Here we go! It pretty much defines what I will supply for the project... simply the parts. So the system will never be sold as a complete bolt on kit. I can only imagine the tech support associated with a complete kit.

Within the next few days I'll post up pics of the completed TB setup. Then the whole assembly is going to Texas. Mark (birdoprey) has been working with the Haltech electrical setup. Then it's his turn to start tuning. I was wanting to be further along than we are right now, but sometimes that life stuff gets in the way. Soooo stay tuned!

No one tried on a node from the Honda ST1300? not easier to get? anyone else in his hands held? something to say about this?

Attachments

• 287.jpg
    287.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 23
  • 285.jpg
    285.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back