Tire Blow-out at 60mph!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad it was a quick fix.......I got a pic of a uhaul with a car on a trailer on its side in a ditch close Yukon/Alaska boarder.....looked painfully. No one around, must have been at ngt.....
Anyways safe journey

Glad you got through it ok,Get done get home and take a well deserved rest!Just saw this,So glad the story wasn;t about you blowing a tire on you bike at 60.

Glad you got through it ok,Get done get home and take a well deserved rest!Just saw this,So glad the story wasn;t about you blowing a tire on you bike at 60.

Holy Shit Brian, that's what I first thought when I read the title! As I waited for the page to open I was thinking " fuck! I hope Redbone isn't wrecked" so at least it wasn't the case, so not to downplay your dilemma at least it wasn't your bike. Have a safe trip, Ed✨

Drive safe brother .
Thanks Rollie!

You got lucky there, my friend!!
Yes I did, only deep ditches with lots of trees at the bottom = no soft landing!

good thing the service company didn't send me out there. you'd still be waiting for me to break the bead. :rofl_200: LOL; dang 12 minutes WOW :clapping:
It almost took me longer to take the pictures and create the post than it took him to get the tire off, new tire on, and airing it up! Impressive for sure!

Godspeed Brethren..
Thanks for the good vibes Karma!

Dam that BLOWS
It truly did! Overall I say I was lucky and great service from U-Haul and the young gentleman from Quality Truck and tire Service.

Glad it was a quick fix.......I got a pic of a uhaul with a car on a trailer on its side in a ditch close Yukon/Alaska boarder.....looked painfully. No one around, must have been at ngt.....
Anyways safe journey
Thanks Rov! It might of been worse if both tires blew, and I'm glad I stayed put after inspecting the damage.
028.jpg
I saw a few cars in the ditch and couple of big rigs in the ditch crumpled up pretty good, glad I didn't join them! There was enough tread left on there to provide collateral damage if I would have driven the extra mile to a service station.
This situation would of sucked hard had it happened before there were cell phones or if I was out of cell service range! But, I guess I have the car I could have pulled off the trailer.

Nice quick turn around for sure!
First thing he did was to turn on his onboard compressor, put his air jack in position, popped the lug nuts and took the tire to the front of the truck where his truck was parked. I was waving traffic out of the near lane and by the time I got to the front of the truck he had the bad tire 1/2 way off. I snapped a picture and kept typing as he greased up the new tire which gave him a little trouble, but he quickly got it on and before I knew it air was blowing out of the valveless tire stem! He screwed in the valve and pumped in more air, setting at the proper pressure. He had the tires back on and tools put away and was back with the clipboard needing my signature. Boom he was done.

Hey BB....just saw this....man, eventful trip, ey? Hope the rest goes/went well Brother!! :punk:
Thanks BD, it ended up fine. For a 1600 mile trip I guess I had some good luck and just a little bad. PMO always serves me well!

Yes me to Terry, that would have been messy for sure! Home and safe now!

Holy Shit Brian, that's what I first thought when I read the title! As I waited for the page to open I was thinking " fuck! I hope Redbone isn't wrecked" so at least it wasn't the case, so not to downplay your dilemma at least it wasn't your bike. Have a safe trip, Ed✨
Thanks Ed, I 'm glad I wasn't riding Redbone from Colorado Springs that's for sure!

I've been home for a few hours now but these are a couple of pictures from when I crossed the mighty Mackinac bridge:
The first is the approach from the south and is from far away so you may have to zoom it to see the two large piers of the bridge.
034.jpg

This one is the welcome area just after the toll booths on the U.P. side... air is a little fresher here!:punk:
036.jpg

No damage to the BMW from the blowout? Those "gators" can tear stuff to pieces when they come off the casing!

I was in Ft Lauderdale FL in a shopping center, a pedestrian on a sidewalk. A Honda Civic came down the road next to the sidewalk, in the parking lot. When it was maybe 20 ft. from me I heard an explosion, I happened to be facing towards the car and did not have my back to it. A woman a few feet from me on the sidewalk started screaming. The pass. front tire on the Civic exploded. It threw the headlight off the car and shredded the fender. It looked like a small explosive device had been triggered. (I am a WMD instructor). In a way, it was, but fortunately no one was hurt. I think the woman had to go to the store to buy a change of underwear.

So, safe in the U.P.! Things could have been much different if you hadn't been able to keep control. I saw all-kinds of carnage from failed equipment, inattentive, sleeping, or drivers 'under the influence' of whatever their poison of choice was, sometimes with tragic results.

Overall I say I was lucky and great service from U-Haul and the young gentleman from Quality Truck and tire Service.
I'd bet it would make that young man's day if his boss read to him a complimentary note from a customer that praised the exceptional services that he delivered.

I'm still amazed he was able to remove an inside wheel, remove the blown tire, mount a new tire and remount the wheel in such a short time. It would have taken me that long just to get the tire off the truck. :worthy:

I'd bet it would make that young man's day if his boss read to him a complimentary note from a customer that praised the exceptional services that he delivered.
Well, I didn't send a letter but I did call and let his boss know what a courteous, quick and well done job he did.

No damage to the BMW from the blowout? Those "gators" can tear stuff to pieces when they come off the casing!
Trust me I checked that BMW over very carefully, it is my sisters baby! I would have heard no end to the grief if I had damaged it somehow. I did find one shard from the tire on the trailer but I could not find any other pieces or marks on the car thankfully!

Glad to here you're ok Brian. I also thought it was on your bike before reading. A truck
with a blowout is no piece of cake either.
Steve-o
Thanks Steve-o! It did veer a little but gentle countersteering combined with immediately slowing and pulling over saved any further issues I believe.
I also think luck was a large factor!:biglaugh:

I'm still amazed he was able to remove an inside wheel, remove the blown tire, mount a new tire and remount the wheel in such a short time. It would have taken me that long just to get the tire off the truck. :worthy:
He did have a air jack and huge air gun to remove the tires. Having the on board compressor sure helped a bunch, it was the first thing he did when he jumped out of the truck. I must say that I was impressed with his speed too! I should have asked what was in the bucket that he slathered over both the bad tire and the good tire since those U-Haul sized tires have some stiff sidewalls! I think spooning the tire off then on took the most time.

I should have asked what was in the bucket that he slathered over both the bad tire and the good tire since those U-Haul sized tires have some stiff sidewalls!

They make a specific liquid for mounting tires. I have some in my storage unit and have never needed or used... Thank goodness for that. Came in a gallon jug. Probably just soapy water relabeled and repriced by a factor of 10 or so... :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back