Tires for 18 inch rims

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been really happy with my set of Michlin Pilot Road 3's. You can put a matching radial on the front stock rim at 110/80r18. I had my rear wheel welded to 18x5 by Kosman and mounted a 160/60r18 on it. If you were to mount that Shinko you'd probably want a 5.5" wheel.

Ran with Metzeler ME880 - 180-55ZR18 for years, but they were getting so expensive. Now have on an Avon AV72 Cobra of the same size.

The Avon cost about 35% cheaper than the Metz and so far I think it performs as good or better than the Metz.

Mike

Ran with Metzeler ME880 - 180-55ZR18 for years, but they were getting so expensive. Now have on an Avon AV72 Cobra of the same size.

The Avon cost about 35% cheaper than the Metz and so far I think it performs as good or better than the Metz.

Mike

+1 on the Avon, I got 180/55/18 Venmon for $191 on ebay

Thanks for all of the choices. Just trying to figure out some things BEFORE I spend this money, and then find out that it was a bad choice.

Shinko, Metzler, and Apparently Avons! Shinko are stickier and cheaper. Metzler lives twice as long but also twice the money.

18 the way to go . This winter during my facelift of my bike I am going 18 thinking RC wheels at the moment .

Just be careful on the size. I have a 170/60-18 on my 18" Kosman wheel and it almost touches the swingarm on the left. The way the swingarm narrows, a larger tire will not fit. The 17" wheel can handle wider tires as it does not extend as far into the swingarm. If you have an extended swingarm, you will probably be ok. Also my wheel is centered. If yours is to the right as some are, you might be able to fit a larger tire.

We sell the RC's but they are HEAVY for sure. A nice upgrade in looks but not a huge upgrade in handling (it will still be better).

Sean

Just be careful on the size. I have a 170/60-18 on my 18" Kosman wheel and it almost touches the swingarm on the left. The way the swingarm narrows, a larger tire will not fit. The 17" wheel can handle wider tires as it does not extend as far into the swingarm. If you have an extended swingarm, you will probably be ok. Also my wheel is centered. If yours is to the right as some are, you might be able to fit a larger tire.
My swingarm will be notched, stretched also .

We sell the RC's but they are HEAVY for sure. A nice upgrade in looks but not a huge upgrade in handling (it will still be better).

Sean
Sean I'm not really worried about weight as I don't race my bike just looking for handiling & looks Kosman is also a idea as we discussed

Well one more question....I read on another post not to run the Shinko verge 120 on a front stock rim...does anyone know why not? It should fit physically even though 110/90-18 is the stock size.

I have run the Shinko 003 on my 88 Max and although it probably wears quicker than others I certainly did not regret it. I thought it was a great tyre (tire to you)
I fitted it myself and from memory it just about fell on with much effort without a bunch of levers.

Last edited:
Well one more question....I read on another post not to run the Shinko verge 120 on a front stock rim...does anyone know why not? It should fit physically even though 110/90-18 is the stock size.

I have run the Shink 003 on my 88 Max and although it probably wears quicker than others I certainly did not regret it. I thought it was a great tyre (tire to you)
I fitted it myself and from memory it just about fell on with much effort without a bunch of levers.

Well it was in another post that I had read that, so I wonder what the deal was.

I've been running the Metzeler ME880 - 180-55ZR18. I went with the Metz because, since it's the tire and size used on the early Harley V-Rods, I figured it would be easier to find a replacement while on the road, from a Harley dealer. 18 inch rims being much more uncommon than 17 inch, on hand selection from dealers is going to be less for 18 inch rims. Overall, it's a good tire.

I have RC Comp rims, and are happy with them. The handling is much improved and much more stable at higher speeds. One thing to be said for the heavier RC Comps is that they are more stable in a straight line, due to greater gyroscopic effect of the heavier rim. For someone doing a lot of highway riding or cruising, their a good way to go. Faster turning, in the twisties, requires a lighter rim.

Well it was in another post that I had read that, so I wonder what the deal was.

probably me and in reference to the 120/70r18... it 'can' be done but its so far mushroomed it wasn't really practical or safe. can it be mounted? yup, but it really requires a 3.5" rim and the vmax (IIRC) is a 1.85"

the 70% aspect ratio isn't enough for the 120 to lie even remotely flat:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2010-10-28 16.34.17.jpg
    2010-10-28 16.34.17.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 80
Well now looking at 18 inch radials for the front...the smallest diameter that I can find is for a 2.5 inch rim and not the Vmax 1.85 inch rim.

Still the 110 mm though, but definitely don't want anything that wont lay flat.

In reference to mine I was talking about my rear which is 18 x 5.5

No radials available in the stock front size of 110/90-18. I have a 110/80-18 on mine. It is about 9/10" shorter than stock. The 120/70-18 is about 1.2" shorter than stock. I will not get the 120 due to the rim size. I did buy an 85 front rim that I was going to sent to Kosman to widen but haven't got the funds yet. Then will be able to mount the 120 tire.

Back