Tires to old?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I think 1 forum member uses air from China. Because it's cheaper.
Nice one, I like a good joke and even better a laugh. That also just reminds me to reply to a post put up MR J T today.

for those who are concerned with weight saving, perhaps helium would be better but if not at least you can get a squeaky voice
Mr J T, have you also considered the mess you could get in whilst driving along the road with a slow leaky puncture on the front tyre. 😂. Then getting pulled up by the police.

I keep wondering why people think there's no water vapor in your nitrogen tires. There is. Your tire can NOT be 100% nitrogen. It's not a steel construct like an AC system that can be completely evacuated. At best, it'll be around 90 to 93% leaving somewhere between 8% and 10% oxygen and water vapor in the tire.

Given that under normal circumstances the oxygen / water vapor content is 19%, you're not really reinventing the wheel at all. You're still going to be subject to roughly half the corrosion (that I have personally never seen) and leakage (that I personally have rarely ever encountered).

End of discussion....
Yes that sounds good.

Nitrogen suits the extension I may get for longevity of my expensive tyres, plus my driving style on bikes and cars that wants correct pressures within a couple of psi almost instantly as I'm on the motorway within 1 mile of my house and opening up on a tight sweeping bend at the on-ramp.

Nitrogen suits me, but maybe not others. I'll buy my own tank.

I always thought an Acetylene/Oxygen mix in a tire with a few pieces of flint (for balancing) would be best.

Last edited:
laughing is addictive, especially on the Vmax which is the best handling bike in the known universe

Ummm...ahem:

Garages utilize these things called moisture traps. They have for decades. There's essentially no water vapor in any air put in your tires.

Unless, of course, you're using a fucking bicycle pump or some cheap ass gas station air hose you put .75 cents in.
I'm too too much of a cheapskate to use some cheap ass gas station LOL (I use a bicycle track pump to do my tyres).
But interesting point about water trap. I am not in the garage compressor business but it would not surprise me if the compressors do not have water traps - cheaper, but not by a huge amount plus there is no need to empty the water trap.

Bit I would expect businesses that do paint spraying would have traps fitted as it would give a better finish .... now I need to figure out where and how to fit a trap to my compressor.

I suspect that for the majority of users Nitrogen would have little benefit.
  • They will stay inflated longer as air will permeate the tyre some 1.6 times faster than air. Sounds good but with a tyre and wheel in good condition how much longer would it mean the tyre would maintain its pressure?
What ^^^ does that mean?
  • Whist it will hold pressure longer at some time it will still need topping up. Maintaining the pressure would be a faff even if you have somewhere to get your Nitrogen. A foot pump or forecourt is far less hassle.
^^^ is this base on molecule size and the gases permeating through the tyre walls? I don't know how large N2 is compared to O2 (and I'm not googling it) but I know some of the periodic table and know that Oxygen is atomic number 8, with Nitrogen to the left of it, hence 7; an Oxygen atom has 1 more proton so is heavier so Oxygen molecules will be heavier but I do not know where that equates in larger molecules. I expect the different to be so small as to make no difference.

BTW there is a good check out continental tyres website as they discuss the merits of N2 in tyres.

@Screwlose - instead of N2 how about using CO2 or Argon (think MIG welding bottles from Halfords)? I think you would need to rent a cylinder from BOC = hugely expensive.

PS what was the original question?

If not for this discussion I would not know about tyre manufacturers pushing various opinions across, and how the general public react to the subject where historical data is also worth it’s weight in gold.

The cynic in me thinks that we are sold 'advantages' for one reason...to sell more product and make more profit.
In many cases the so call advantages are not quantified os vague as to be meaningless but as the offer sounds that it may give a benefit we pass over our hard earned.
I suspect that the majority have done this only to find out any benefit is, at best, marginal as any savings outweighed by the acquisition cost.

I've already agreed with patate657's suggestion that the discussion was over. I'll take notes over the next six years, then we shall see haha.

😒

Who is to say there are no scientists on this topic already! I see there are allot of intelligent people on this site mate, and assuming means one is postulating without documented (backed by released paper) fact.

Please publish the school of thought! I expect to see at the very least air and fluid corrosion factors on tyre rubber and associated inserts, including wheel material, backed by calculations. Then dynamic stress calculations over say 10 years on a tyre. Then a simulation of pressure, stress, permeation of air and fluid over time, all these results must be backed by finite element analysis calcs.

For someone to say i’m a scientist without having any fact to publish, means they are not a scientist as they would already know releasing one sentence without proper back up as above can destroy their own reputation in a couple of minu
for those who are concerned with weight saving, perhaps helium would be better but if not at least you can get a squeaky voice
Who is to say there are no scientists on this topic already! I see there are allot of intelligent people on this site mate, and assuming means one is postulating without documented (backed by released paper) fact.

Please publish the school of thought! I expect to see at the very least air and fluid corrosion factors on tyre rubber and associated inserts, including wheel material, backed by calculations. Then dynamic stress calculations over say 10 years on a tyre. Then a simulation of pressure, stress, permeation of air and fluid over time, all these results must be backed by finite element analysis calcs.

For someone to say i’m a scientist without having any fact to publish, means they are not a scientist as they would already know releasing one sentence without proper back up as above can destroy their own reputation in a couple of minutes.

Thats my speech for the day mate, but saying some other unnamed person sitting behind the scenes can take control of a discussion with a final result that is not up for further dialogue, frankly is not correct. If the person is a scientist then publish the facts mate.
Would these be the same Scientists busy at Unis working on hard math problems and then when they're done give their work away for free to Corporations that become Rich as fuck and bustoff a tiny care package to payoff Rightwing Authoritarian Politicos and Judges to keep them in power?

The cynic in me thinks that we are sold 'advantages' for one reason...to sell more products and make more profit.
In many cases the so-called advantages are not quantified so vague as to be meaningless but as the offer sounds that it may give a benefit we pass over our hard-earned.
I suspect that the majority have done this only to find out any benefit is, at best, marginal as any savings outweighed by the acquisition cost.
Vagueness, 1of at least 36 Criminal thinking errors. Favored by Republican voters in the US, at least since Nixon.

What about the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish?

But seriously...

In the UK there is no limit on the age of tyre provided it satisfies the following criteria:

Tyres
  • Tyres must be of suitable type and in good repair
  • Tyres must be seated correctly in their rims
  • Tyres must be fitted in accordance with direction indicators on the sidewall
  • All tyres must be either cross ply or radial, not a mixture
  • Tread must be clearly visible over the whole tread area
  • Tread must be at least 1mm deep throughout the circumference and 75% of the width of the tyre*
Other reasons for your tyres failing the motorcycle MOT test
  • It shows a cut longer than 25mm or 10% of the section width of the tyre that reaches the ply or cord
  • It shows a bulge, lump or tear caused by partial failure of its structure
  • It fouls another component of the motorcycle
  • Ply or cord is exposed
  • The valve is seriously damaged or misaligned
  • The tread has been recut

note: the VOSA manual states that the depth of tread is measured “…throughout a continuous circumferential band measuring at least three quarters of the breadth of the tread.” This excludes tie-bars, tread wear indicators and other features designed to “wear out substantially before the rest of the pattern and other minor features.”

*examples of unsuitable tyres: car tyres, motocross tyres, racing tyres, or any tyre stamped with ‘NHS’ or ‘not for highway use’. You must also fit tyres of the correct load and speed rating for the bike and rear tyres must not be used on the front wheel or vice versa.
Anybody know what size Avon will fit 07

Would these be the same Scientists busy at Unis working on hard math problems and then when they're done give their work away for free to Corporations that become Rich as fuck and bustoff a tiny care package to payoff Rightwing Authoritarian Politicos and Judges to keep them in power?

Probably not................................but I look forward to all the evidence you will produce to support that comment?

Whilst searching for a solar clock, came across a variety of TPMS, not overly expensive but I'd be concerned about the valve cap falling = instant blow out.

Screenshot_20211211-023155.png

Back