Took me 20 years, but I finally got a 'Max!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partenr

Reaction score
Ever since reading about the V-max in it's inception I have been in awe. What a cool thing....a bike frame with one purpose: a munting point for a fire-breathing engine.

I finally caved. At 2PM yesterday I decided the time had come. I called five dealers. I got the best price, and I drove a knarly 2007 home in the rain and traffic.

Alright ya'll. Are there any "do's and don't"s I should know. i.e is there any immediate mods I can/should do for power or longevity? In how many gears can I pull the front tire without slipping the clutch? Does a 2007 have any drawbacks compared to older models? Anyone know the HP rating?

Thanks in advance!

Funny, I was the same way. I have wanted one since they came out in 85 and finally broke down and bought one of the 20th Anniversary Editions.

I swore that I wasn't going to modify it and managed not to for 2 and a half years, but I finnaly did and put an HMF exhaust with carbon fiber cans on it. Even with the carbs out of sync and the jetting way off it still sounds like my drag car. I just dropped it off to be dyno tuned, hopping for close to 120 to the rear tire.

So far I have only managed to put 1700 miles on it so I really don't have much to tell you about the "do's & dont's" other be carefull on the twisty's, these Max's stock don't turn, but that's not what I bought mine for:rocket bike:

-Allen

Congrats, I hope your happy with it. I too took a long time to get one. It was the highest on my wish list just not the wifes. Imagine that....

I have had mine since late summer last year, and I still find myself wondering into the garage just to look at it. ( helps my irregularity ) :biglaugh:

Enjoy and get used to it slowly. O'h one biggie for ya. Take it ez on wet pavement. I tried to stop for a yellow light on a bit of a hill and the was no way in hell I was going to stop that bike in time. It was red and I was going through it either way. Did I mention the back tire loves to spin in tight corners without trying to do it. :confused2: If your winding it out and see the oil light flicker don't worry its normal. ( allot of people ask this, so I thought I'd tell ya in advance )

Post your pics of the bike in the garage ! ( here on the forum not your house )

Mods are optional, you'll soon discover depending on how you ride.
HP is about 110-120 at the back wheel
Just me but I run 20/40 oil. regular type oil when I can find it. 10/40 when I can't.

Ill second the note on being carefull when stopping on wet pavement. The rear will try to pass the front if you're not careful. The bike is loads of fun, i just got one as well.

Ever since reading about the V-max in it's inception I have been in awe. What a cool thing....a bike frame with one purpose: a munting point for a fire-breathing engine.

I finally caved. At 2PM yesterday I decided the time had come. I called five dealers. I got the best price, and I drove a knarly 2007 home in the rain and traffic.

Alright ya'll. Are there any "do's and don't"s I should know. i.e is there any immediate mods I can/should do for power or longevity? In how many gears can I pull the front tire without slipping the clutch? Does a 2007 have any drawbacks compared to older models? Anyone know the HP rating?

Thanks in advance!

Check out THIS site...:worthy:

I know many people that swear by it! I used it on my Max with no issues.

Welcome and enjoy the Max...:cheers:

Congrats, and Welcome to the forum.
As most who own the VMax. I too fell in love with it when it came out is 85. I still have the picture from the original 85 ad in a magazine, hanging on my bulletin board. I got my first one last July. It's an 06.
I absolutely love it!
There are tons and tons and tons of mods you can do. Hang out in this forum on your free time and you will learn a lot and get a lot of ideas.
WARNING: hope your head can swim! Because there is all kinds of info you will find.
I found there are so many options in things to do to the Max, it's extremely hard for me to decide on what to do.
So I opt to just ride the damn thing all the time instead of modifying it.
I ended up getting a Morley seat at Bike Week this year. And OHHH MY GOOOOD! That is a must if you plan on riding a lot.
And like the other guys said, be very cautious until you are very comfortable handling the VMax it can get you in a lot of trouble very quickly!

Hey thanks all for the input. I hear ya' on the cornering...not instilling confidence. It seems like I feel a bit of a gyration even in the drivetrain as I turn corners unde power. But hey....sure works great moving forward!

Oh by the way...

Run Shell Rotella T 15W40 oil... You won't regret it. It is high in zinc and isn't energy conserving like car oil. :thumbs up:

You can buy it at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store pretty cheap.

It's the #1 rated Diesel oil out there.

Latest posts

Back