Top 10 reasons bikers don't wave back...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably a repost, but found this on another board and thought it was funny.

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back:

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back:

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sportbikers Don't Wave:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back:

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

And us V-maxxers always wave back, even though we're risking death because of the front end wobble:smileystooges:

Most wave at me.I think the harley guys don't realize its a yamaha till its too late.I have Mario mirrors and it makes it a bitch to wave.I like when Luauna is on the back so she can do all of it and I can just ride.

Most wave at me.I think the harley guys don't realize its a yamaha till its too late.I have Mario mirrors and it makes it a bitch to wave.I like when Luauna is on the back so she can do all of it and I can just ride.

yea....its funny you should say that Shawn....the harley guys wave at me too....the crotch rocket wanna be bikers ignore me.....think if the dont wave back within a few seconds, I'll give them the 1 finger wave from now on.....lol.

I always try and wave. Part of the problem, being a noob, is that I have trouble telling a Hayabusa from Goldwing. It's easier to just wave at everyone you can (safely). :hmmm:

I give a downward wave to just about all the bike that I encounter. Just about all will wave back. We have an event here called "Street Vibrations" --mostly 5,000 hardlys and 15 or 20 serious customs. They almost never return a wave:hmmm:

Lew

I wave at pretty much everyone on two wheels, and most people wave back except for the occasional Harley or Crotch Rocket. Then again, this is Iowa, and people are generally pretty friendly here.

Last edited:
I wave at everyone and generally get waves back. Though I think the biggest reason folks don't wave back is because they didn't see you. Theya re either looking elsewhere or paying attention to the asshat in the cage in front of them.

I know I've missed a few wave-back's because of those reasons. However, I haven't noticed any particular Genre of biker not waving back. Hell, we have a guy around her on one of those 150cc "Big Ruckus's" and man he's just happy as hell to ride around and wave at anything with 2 wheels. Guy looks to be about 70+ and I make sure to wave every time. He's out there giving that oversized scooter everything it's got and having a ball doing it.:rocket bike:

I wave whether riding the Max or the Ped! I usually get wave backs on the Max, and two thumbs up on the Ped!

I do find that most other bikers will wave in Louisiana. I do have one guy I see on a Harley on my commute regularly that never waves. I waved everyday for about four days just to see. Nothing. Then one day here he comes. Still no wave, but he gave me the slow down hand motion. Pretty cool since there was indeed a cop with a radar gun hiding around the corner. I guess you can still be helpful without being social. Cool.

Where I grew up in West Texas evryone waves at everyone bike, car, pedestrian whatever.....

When I go back to visit now after living in wonderful Houston it takes a little getting used to to have a guy in an 18 wheeler coming 80mph in the opposite direction wave and expect you to see him and respond.

Pretty cool tho'

Rusty

I wave at anything on two wheels... scooters included, because if you are ballsey enough to take a 50 cc scoot into Texas traffic, you are ballsey enough to ride with me and or get a low wave!!!

Now, the only reason that I know of that a Vmax Gladiator won't wave back ???

Because the V-Boost just kicked in and that shoulder joint seperating acceleration is making you absolutely sure that you have both hands securely fastened to the handlebars lest you be thrown from the beast at Warp 9!

:surprise:

Back