trans question, How bad is it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay.b

Reaction score
Had my bike out today, was running it, shifted to 2nd, and then it started. Now when you put a load on it in any gear there is a grinding sound. How bad is it do you think? Thanks Jay

When mine did that, the dog gears were the problem. This is bad as it involves splitting the case to rebuild the transmission.

So this problem would affect all gears at once? I mean it all happened at once, went from having all gears to acting like this in all gears? Thanks Jay

So this problem would affect all gears at once? I mean it all happened at once, went from having all gears to acting like this in all gears? Thanks Jay
Typicaly 2nd and 5th gear.
Continue riding with poping will definitly destroy shift cam fork.

I've rebuilded my transmission with new gears but i've done some machining
to prevent another tranny failures.
For now somethimes(rare) i have may problems with switch to ant gear.
This may be reason that max trany is not synchronized.
But 4k miles and have no trany problem.

Do a search for shift segment on here. Check that, clutch, and shifter position and shift shaft. If that doesn't fix it then you probably need a trans repair. We offer undercut transmissions on exchange or do yours. We also have overdrive options. I am sure you can find a customer or two of mine on here.

Sean

$500 for undercut exchange plus shipping. Add $300 for overdrive options.

Sean

I think I found the problem. I will try to explain it. Behind the middle gear is a splined dog ear gear with a spring behind it. That gear is cracked on one side. Now all I have to do is swap it out. Anybody ever seen this happen before? Thanks Jay

I have shreded the middle gear before but not the splined adapter.

Sean

OK, finally pulled the motor out, split the cases, and I have the middle gear assembly on the bench. My book shows a special tool to disassemble this assembly. Is there a way to get this apart without this tool, am I just missing something? On the positive side the trans looks brand new, and is back cut. At least there is something to smile about. Thanks Jay:punk:

Stock does have some back cutting already. This does not mean that they have been backcut like we would have done.

A press to push the inner hub and let the half moon clips out is what you need to get the middle gear off the secondary shaft. If you need to take the middle gear apart that the u-joint bolts too then I think it's just a matter of unbolting it.

If you are going to have someone like us do the work you don't need to take that stuff apart.

Sean

The gears have ACTION scribed on them. I assume that is the co that worked on them. I guess I will be heading to the press. Thanks Jay

Im having a few problems to. but mine dont seem like everyone elses. u all seem to have the gear, my 88 wont go in to second. i just bought it and i have to skip it. 1-3. If im cruising then shift down say from 4-3-2, 2nd gear is there, but once i throtle its gone.

There are two sides to the dogs that hold the gear in place. You have the upshift side which is what is normally worn and caused the trans to pop out of gear under load then you have the downshift side which holds it when you have load in the other direction (engine braking). So it sounds like your dogs are toast. I think my Morleys Muscle facebook site has pics of the problem.
Sean

i had 2 dealers and 3 regular shops say that the fork may be bent. idk. i just bought the bike for 1300 bucks knowing 2nd was bad but didnt know know the block had to be seperated..... yippeee me. how much am i looking at doc lol

Ouch. Shift fork is likely bent but that's not the main problem (bad gear dogs). Email me direct and I can send a sample build estimate.

Sean

Back