VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much H.P. at the rear wheel is this going to add up to , with a reasonable / reliable amount of boost ? :ummm:

how much h.p. At the rear wheel is this going to add up to , with a reasonable / reliable amount of boost ? :ummm:
hey rollie, this is the turbo project we talked about last year at the ride up through the n ga mountains.this is mike with the black big bore max.

alright guys im ready to buy the casting kit to make the molds for the scoops.is everyone still on board?the radiator turned in to a train wreck if we need to talk about that first.its still doable through scott but its not the same price.i need you guys input to see if we are still headed in the same direction.thanks mike

If the price gets much higher there are other companies out there that already have the vmax radiator specs that can be easily modified (Ron Davis for one).

I have the bushings to weld in the stator covers too.

Sean

hey rollie, this is the turbo project we talked about last year at the ride up through the n ga mountains.this is mike with the black big bore max.

Yeah Mike , I remember . Good to hear from you again. I had thought we would've been further along with this turbo by now , but it is what it is.

I picked up a Blackbird last year and they are getting 200 - 350 h.p. with 28 lbs of boost over the pond and I have entertained the idea of a 200-250 h.p. sport -tourer for a few years. I was hoping we would be at least testing one on the Max by now. :punk:

If the price gets much higher there are other companies out there that already have the vmax radiator specs that can be easily modified (Ron Davis for one).

I have the bushings to weld in the stator covers too.

Sean
He is at 475 now, i beleive he will cover shipping too.he says its a difficult rad to build.and to not be in a hurry for them.last time i talked with him he had orders for easier to build rads like he is used to.i thought ron davis was higher than that-i heard 7-800.i will get that cover to you soon- got it cleaned up and boxed.

Yeah Mike , I remember . Good to hear from you again. I had thought we would've been further along with this turbo by now , but it is what it is.

I picked up a Blackbird last year and they are getting 200 - 350 h.p. with 28 lbs of boost over the pond and I have entertained the idea of a 200-250 h.p. sport -tourer for a few years. I was hoping we would be at least testing one on the Max by now. :punk:
yeah im chomping at the bit for some boost. already have a money race with my bud on his bandit.as soon as i get it sorted.we need to get together for a ride and knock the pollen off of them. im thinking hooter's wings.

Under $500 is more doable.
Just barely- im not 100 percent on the shipping.he said originally he would cover shiiping.then when he changed the price we never talked about it again. he had said he didnt want to do them at all then i talked him into it.anyway lets see what everybody else says-it is 150 bucks more than before.

So the price is $625.00? I'll give you guys an update on the project Monday with some pics.

So the price is $625.00? I'll give you guys an update on the project Monday with some pics.
No the price scott quoted me was 475.00 per rad the only thing im not 100 percent on is the shipping charges.initially he said he would cover it.i can get him on the phone this weekend to make sure of all this. do you still want two?and im not charging you guys for the scoops ill take care of that. sweet- on the progress i cant wait.

Let me check with my brother today to make sure he still wants one. I'll take one for sure.

Well Gary I got my turbo bike running this morning and put a few miles on it. Came back and readjusted the waste gate as it was only pushing 3 pounds. Got back out and hit 8 pounds in second and all of a son white smoke out the exhaust and oil out the catch can. Got it back and checked it over as I thought the turbo might have crapped out. Turbo looked good. Got it running again but had a ton of blowby. Compression test showed pounds on front 2 cylinders and 100-120 on the rear cylinders. Was 8 pounds just too much for my old motor? I talked to jeff a bit before I started this and that e was what he was running on his old setup. A/f stayed around 12.5-14 the whole time. Any thoughts on what caused it? Also where would I look for low compression pistons and copper head gaskets? Or would you reccomend using stock gaskets?

Well all kinds of things can happen to an old motor and a turbo. How many miles did you have on it? My guess without seeing it.... is that you've collapsed the ring land on one or more of you're pistons. Just enough to freeze the compression ring... that would explain the blow by.

I always liked Arias pistons... I gave Sean Morley the parts numbers a while back. He'll give you the best deal. You don't want to run a copper head gasket on a water cooled motor. Cometic makes a gasket called (link) MLS That's the one!

Here's the part number

Cometic_Vmax_MLS.jpg

Hey Gary, the motor has around 30K on it so I guess it decided it had enough. Hopefully tomorrow I will have it out and tore down and see what happened. I can try to get some pictures up tomorrow, but I would be embarrassed showing you after seeing all your amazing work. Unfortunately I am more of a fabricator and welder than I am a machinist. I will have to talk to Sean, as I would like to get this bike up and running asap. Any other insight while I have this thing tore down? How big can I overbore this motor safely? Thanks for the help Gary, its been a learning process doing all this.

Back