Two up advice needed.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piercew

Reaction score
Okay VMax gurus I need you help. My wife and I put on 150 miles two up this afternoon, which I know isn’t notable for many of you guys; but it’s the most we have done thus far. This is my first season with the bike after all.

My little adventure included some of Wisconsin’s “might be smoother if they were gravel” county roads. At one point my wife came across the intercom and said “Can you turn around, I think I left some of my pussy back there.” Over lunch I sheepishly mentioned that maybe I should look into changing the suspension. Her reply was “No shit. You should put a new seat on that list, too.”
So here I am looking to upgrade the suspension but don’t really know what I’m looking for. I guess I was thinking HD progressives, since I’m leaning on 280 and my wife isn’t exactly a delicate flower either, but I don’t know what I’m looking for to choose among the models.

As far as the seat goes the previous owner said it had a “RMS lowered driver seat with extra padded passenger seat.” The seat is fine for me, but with a 34” inseam the lowered seat puts me in quite a crouch, so I could do without it. Anybody have a seat that works well for a pillion? I would like to hear from you guys that have Morely, Maxgasser and Corbin seats especially.

The PO also installed a National Cycle windscreen. It has been doing me fine solo on these cold mornings; but whenever we are two up it seem like I am constantly hit by shifting winds, even though there is no wind out. Is this the combination of the pillion and an improperly set windscreen, or is it just the passenger and I’m going to have to deal; I don’t have a lot of two up experience. I think I'm going to pop the bugger off tonight and see how it goes without it. As always, thanks for the help.

I happen to like my MaxGasser. Here is a pic of the bike, and so you can see the difference between a stock seat, and a MaxGasser. I know that Rick (twistedmax) has a loaner program, so get with him, and see what he has to say. Ive ridden 400 miles in 1 day, whereas with the stock seat I would be praying that it was time to fuel up the bike after 100 miles.

The MaxGasser will NOT lower you in the seat. It is a little bit lower....but its wider as well, so I didnt see any height reduction VS the stock seat.

All in all, I think it was money well spent. Some people like the looks of a MaxGasser.....some dont.

Attachments

• user8061_pic8979_1396283860.jpg
    user8061_pic8979_1396283860.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 61
I run a Corbin. I also ran Corbins on the 4 bikes that preceded the Max. It is a hard saddle and many dislike that. I tend to figure that Horse Saddles have a very long design history and are good for all-day use; they are not soft and cushy. My lady didn't like the feel of a Corbin until she spent some miles behind me in a series of soft factory saddles.

Not the Corbin was on my Max before I got her. I would definitely try out a Maxgasser if I was suffering through a factory saddle. I'm truly impressed by the design and would ask him to build one as firm as possible.

Gotta say I'm either impressed or scared that you gave your wife an intercom. I can't hear a thing my lady tries to say to me and well, I like it that way.

We solved the pillion problem completely, and forever, by getting her a m/c license and Vmax of her own.

We solved the pillion problem completely, and forever, by getting her a m/c license and Vmax of her own.

^ smart guy.

Just get rid of the passenger seat and be like "oops, guess we have to find you a bike":confused2:

Okay VMax gurus I need you help. My wife and I put on 150 miles two up this afternoon, which I know isn’t notable for many of you guys; but it’s the most we have done thus far. This is my first season with the bike after all.

My little adventure included some of Wisconsin’s “might be smoother if they were gravel” county roads. At one point my wife came across the intercom and said “Can you turn around, I think I left some of my pussy back there.” Over lunch I sheepishly mentioned that maybe I should look into changing the suspension. Her reply was “No shit. You should put a new seat on that list, too.”
So here I am looking to upgrade the suspension but don’t really know what I’m looking for. I guess I was thinking HD progressives, since I’m leaning on 280 and my wife isn’t exactly a delicate flower either, but I don’t know what I’m looking for to choose among the models.

As far as the seat goes the previous owner said it had a “RMS lowered driver seat with extra padded passenger seat.” The seat is fine for me, but with a 34” inseam the lowered seat puts me in quite a crouch, so I could do without it. Anybody have a seat that works well for a pillion? I would like to hear from you guys that have Morely, Maxgasser and Corbin seats especially.

The PO also installed a National Cycle windscreen. It has been doing me fine solo on these cold mornings; but whenever we are two up it seem like I am constantly hit by shifting winds, even though there is no wind out. Is this the combination of the pillion and an improperly set windscreen, or is it just the passenger and I’m going to have to deal; I don’t have a lot of two up experience. I think I'm going to pop the bugger off tonight and see how it goes without it. As always, thanks for the help.

PM replied to , Thanks for your Interest in the MAXGASSER

I run a Corbin. I also ran Corbins on the 4 bikes that preceded the Max. It is a hard saddle and many dislike that. I tend to figure that Horse Saddles have a very long design history and are good for all-day use; they are not soft and cushy. My lady didn't like the feel of a Corbin until she spent some miles behind me in a series of soft factory saddles.

possibNot the Corbin was on my Max before I got her. I would definitely try out a Maxgasser if I was suffering through a factory saddle. I'm truly impressed by the design and would ask him to build one as firm as possible
Gotta say I'm either impressed or scared that you gave your wife an intercom. I can't hear a thing my lady tries to say to me and well, I like it that way.

I can do that , I can make them as hard as a corbrick seat.

Hi,
I tried the Corbin ( just fine for me) , a backrest, ect. Best solution was a Valkyrie with a custom passinger seat,larger /taller backrest w/arm rests, and passinger floorboards. With almost 100 lb/ft of torque and large saddle bags it hauls us around in comfort and yes, style. I only hear good things over the intercom.

Lew

“Can you turn around, I think I left some of my pussy back there.”
rainbowlaugh.png
I lolled so hard!

Hi,
I tried the Corbin ( just fine for me) , a backrest, ect. Best solution was a Valkyrie with a custom passinger seat,larger /taller backrest w/arm rests, and passinger floorboards. With almost 100 lb/ft of torque and large saddle bags it hauls us around in comfort and yes, style. I only hear good things over the intercom.

Lew

not to far from being a goldwing, lol. just missing the front fairing and trunk.

She's actually pretty quiet back there, she wanted them so she could have music more than anything else; which I have to admit is pretty nice.

She starts her class on Thursday night. Right now she just wants to pillion; I'm hoping she changes her mind after she gets through the class. I've never been a fan of two up riding. In my experience even a girl with a pre wedding cake body throw of the handling too much for my taste.

images
this is how I solved my two up issue's with the max 2000.00 dollars on craigslist and you'll probably spend close to that trying to make the max comfortable for the both of you and still won't be totally satisfied, just my opinion and I still have the max for when I have the need to go fast :)

Last edited:
I'm very curious to hear everyone's advice regarding rear shocks for two up riding. My wife and I top 450lbs total tonnage and the stock shocks just don't cut it.

Fatbiker

not to far from being a goldwing, lol. just missing the front fairing and trunk.

Welllllllll,

It's just a little dirrerent than a big heavy fairing and a trunk.

6carbs and a very different exhaust.
Solid lifter( yes, ya have to adjust the vlaves but its easy)
A real handle bar
1,500 more RPM than a wing.

Suprisingly easy to handle as the weight is low and the loss of 50 pounds of plastic over the front wheel make the big girl easy to manuver.

Lew

I'm very curious to hear everyone's advice regarding rear shocks for two up riding. My wife and I top 450lbs total tonnage and the stock shocks just don't cut it.

Fatbiker

Have you tried adjusting them? They are adjustable, and might just need to be tweaked.

Have you tried adjusting them? They are adjustable, and might just need to be tweaked.

Mine are at 5 and 4 per the manual. It handles fine, just a little rough on the pillion. I grew up on dirt bikes; I just stand up. I might try playing with the adjusters to see if I can find a better setting. Do I need to lift the rear tire to adjust? Thanks for the idea.

I had mine at 3 and 3 with me and a passenger....that would soften it just a bit. And no...you do not have to have the rear tire off of the ground. Just need a screw driver to put in the hole, to turn for the rebound, and twist the top collar for dampening.

well if u do decide to go with a different shock (and I would the stock shocks suck) I'd go with a 1 or 2in. taller shock then u can get plenty of adj. for a little more comfort as u will be able to set them on a softer pre load, but DO try the maxgasser seat, believe me your wife will love u for it, I know I did and all the (well most) of the Bitching stoped. I run a solo seat around town, but when we hit the road I put on the Maxgasser and the old lady is ready to go tank to tank with no problems

Latest posts

Back