Upside down forks?????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
It appears that the new Vmax has conventional forks;

But are they really?

I think upside down forks look really cool of course but what's really desirable about them is the fact they are cartridge forks as opposed to damping rod type forks.

Of course the lower unsprung wieght is also desirable but to me the cartridge thing would be more important.

looking closer at the new Vmax forks it looks like they greatly increased the upper diameter of the forks to stiffen, as they taper up/down from the bottom to the area where they are held in the trees, as well as making some effort to decrease the undprung weight of the moving portion of the lower fork.

What I am wondering tho' is;

Is it possible that these are cartridge forks inside with the more conventional fork housing?????

That would be sweet....

Rusty

USD normally weigh more than a like conventional cartridge fork. The plus of a USD is the rigidity they offer. Many people replace the cartridge forks on the SV with a Gixxer fork because they look better. IAH they offer better performance out of the box but I know a lot of people racing SV professionally with the stock forks with up rated internals.

I for one like both so give me what ever ya got and I'll be happy!

Chris

Kloker told me to let you know that SV's are gay and the only thing they're good for at the track is for a pit bike......:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Seriously tho', educate me. Does the SV have conventional style forks with cartridge internals????......

Rusty

Kloker told me to let you know that SV's are gay and the only thing they're good for at the track is for a pit bike......:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Seriously tho', educate me. Does the SV have conventional style forks with cartridge internals????......

Rusty

Yes they do... I just rebuilt mine the week before last. Mine (2003) are re-valvable with Race-Tech Gold Valves) while the later models aren't. I am running them in stock configuration with Race-Tech springs and 5wt oil. 2.5wt is stock.

While the SV is NOT a GSXR it is one damn fine street bike. Better ergos and low down grunt make it a hoot! Mine dyno'd low at 104bhp and 64lbft but the TQ number comes in at a low RPM. Most SV's run 110+ but all dyno's are created differently...

Chris

If they kept the same size forks as they had on the concept bike they are not going to flex. They were HUGE!

Sean

The forks look a lot like the forks on my FJR, right down to the adjusters at the top. If they are, there is a lot of adjustement that will be available right out of the box. Both in spring rate and in dampening.

Spring rates should have 4-6 options I think, and dampening has 20. From other pics, it looks like the rear has similair adjustments. No matter how ya shake it, it should be a vast improvement over the old suspension. I know I certainly enjoy my FJR's setup.

I haven't met a bike yet that I rode and thought wow these are perfect...

I think all bikes benefit from straight rate springs IMO. More confidence inspiring.

Back